Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
3 registered (Cthulhu, atari_kid86, pufferfish), 72 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#311412 - 11/22/09 03:37 PM My Spirituality
jls Offline

Hi all,

Spiritual identity is something I've struggled with for a long time. Before I turned 13 I used to go to church with my mom, a Protestant church, which I enjoyed tremendously each week, in large due to the sense of community I gathered from going. When my parent's split up though I was forced to change churches and become Catholic by my dad. No offence to anyone who's Catholic here but I hated every minute of it, I think simply because it was such an alien experience, having being raised Protestant I mean. Anyways nowadays I never attend church yet I've discovered what is spiritually right for me. I see all living things as spiritual and view connection with my community as a sacred thing. There is a line from the Bible that I've always remembered where Jesus said whenever 3 or more gather then this a church or something like that which has always resonated with me. Perhaps someone here can clarify which book that came from. I am curious to know. Jason

#311417 - 11/22/09 03:57 PM Re: My Spirituality [Re: jls]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, Jason.

Wow what you wrote resonates with me.

Jesus does state "wherever 2 or more gather in my name".

My spirituality exists within myself and with another when they can hear me and I hear them - like now.

Sometimes my spirituality is in church (I attend MCC) or in a meeting (12 step) or in my alone time or in the blowing of the wind.

Peace,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#311442 - 11/22/09 07:40 PM Re: My Spirituality [Re: DJsport]
jls Offline

Like you, I`ve learned that spiritual time aLone is importabnt. Jason.

#313081 - 12/05/09 02:58 PM Re: My Spirituality [Re: jls]
MADcHATTER Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Matthew 18:20 "For whereso there are two or three gathered together in my name, there am I in their midst!"

Another good one is from the Gnostic Gospels. The Gospel of St. James. Proported to be in ancient Aramaic and the actual words of the living Christ to James. Jesus said, "The kingdom of God is inside you and all around you. It is Not in mansions made from wood and stone. Split a piece of wood and I am there. Lift a stone and you will find me!"

The Vatican decried this gospel as Heresy and it was never published in the bible because the Catholic Church exists in it's mansions of wood and stone. To embrace this gospel would mean the end of their dominion and domination of man.

And yes...I am a reformed Catholic. By their defintion that makes me an athiest!

#315364 - 12/20/09 12:41 PM Re: My Spirituality [Re: MADcHATTER]
jls Offline

The Gnostic Gospels have always interested me. Your right about the Roman Catholic church considering them heresy. Its funny I was watching a program on TV about this just yesterday. According to the program it was Constantine, the Roman Emporer who converted the Empire to Christianity around 300 AD and subsequently outlawed all Gospels (as many as 50) other than Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Part of this was to re-establish a sense of cohesion within a fracturing empire, but with the Gnostic Gospels in particular they were seen as a special threat since there was a certain mysticism to them which claimed that just like Jesus is the Son of God, we are all children of God, and therefore we do not require bishops and priests to have a personal relationship with the divine. Needless to say such a notion was threatening to the established order of the day. It Seems that the connection between religion and politics has always beeen with us eh?

#316421 - 12/26/09 11:59 AM Re: My Spirituality [Re: jls]
MADcHATTER Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Absolutely...

Perfect example was the Treaty of Saragossa in 1529. Where Pope Clement VII ratifed the "Lines of Demarcation" set in place by Pope Alexander VI in 1493 and basically devided the world into two halves. Giving one half to the King of Portugal and and the other to the King of Spain. In return for a modest share of the plunder and...for spreading their version of the word of God. Amazing how the vicar of Christ on earth got the deed to the whole planet huh?

#316454 - 12/26/09 03:57 PM Re: My Spirituality [Re: MADcHATTER]
jls Offline

When Pope Jean Paul 2 died and the Cardinals were picking the next one I nver forget what one broadcaster said, that more than 2000 years later all roads still lead to Rome. As a student of the history of Rome, Republican and Imperial, I find it all very fascinating.

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.