Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
7 registered (Cam76, lapchinj, learning2luvme, David jl, 2 invisible), 61 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
438004 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#310373 - 11/14/09 11:32 AM Anguish vs Depression
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
What ever happened to "anguish?" It seems every ounce of negative feelings surrounding a tough or sad situation is labeled "depression." I'm not saying depression does not exist, but today, it seems that when there's a death, a loss of some type, a bad memory, a struggle...the resulting "bad feelings" are quickly called "depression."

Depression is a loaded word (and syndrome) in this society. It has ample stigma pulled on a tight leash right behind it. It needs to be medicated. It demands a rhapsody of reaction.

When a loved one passes away, a job is lost, the x-rays show a spot...we may be depressed, but under the old definitions of the words, I think we are likely feeling plenty of "anguish."

Any thoughts?

Still's Globs

New Video

#310377 - 11/14/09 11:49 AM Re: Anguish vs Depression [Re: Still]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Rob,

I think you are right about this.

When I started the "recovery phase" of my life, I felt depressed. I identified about 4 different kinds of depression that I either had then or had as a child. Meanwhile I was listening on FM radio to a radio-clinic-counseling-team. The psychiatrist on that team, Paul Meier, said that "depression was anger turned inward". But I knew I had depression which wasn't just anger.

So these are my thoughts about what is depression. I'm not disagreeing with you, just giving some old thoughts.

Depression was 4 things:
1. A feeling of sadness - emotional
2. A body feeling in which the body is somewhat stiff.
3. A slowing down of responses.
4. Anger turned inward

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#315188 - 12/19/09 01:23 PM Re: Anguish vs Depression [Re: Still]
50yrsurv Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I thoroughly agree! Perhaps the most difficult thing for me to deal with both as a male and a survivor is emotion! I am currently struggling with learning to recognize the difference between what is simply an emotion and what are symptoms of clinical depression. Although it may be simple it sure ain't easy!!!

#315247 - 12/19/09 07:22 PM Re: Anguish vs Depression [Re: 50yrsurv]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Both terms are necessary and useful. There is probably a degree of overlap.

The dictionary defines anguish as: Agonizing physical or mental pain; torment.

Depression is: A psychotic or neurotic condition characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, and feelings of extreme sadness, dejection, and hopelessness

Certainly severe depression would involve anguish.

A third term partially related is anxiety. From the dictionary: Psychiatry. A state of intense apprehension, uncertainty, and fear resulting from the anticipation of a threatening event or situation, often to a degree that the normal physical and psychological functioning of the affected individual is disrupted.

Allen

pufferfish

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.