Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
7 registered (CheerfulJohn, Jude, 4 invisible), 20 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64023 Topics
446798 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#310005 - 11/11/09 11:40 AM My bass is dead!
user2007 Offline

Okay, now it really seems like there are higher forces messing with me. I've been restless and utterly unbearable for more than a month having nothing to do other than holing myself up in the house for days on end, feeling tense, my hands shaking like I've run kilometres, jumping every time the door opens, dropping things, shouting for no reason, snapping at people at school, so many things and arguments running through my head, starting a thought and shouting at myself to stop thinking. It's like there's a whole tonne of noise, when the flat is completely silent.

I've been raging with no reason.

There's not much I can do to release the stress being here. There's school, but even though I've been here for almost a year I still don't get along with anyone. Couldn't be able to really. I'm an arsehole. There's the city, oh how wonderful marvellous olympic city, but it doesn't pick my interest and I have the amazing ability to get a little overwhelmed around a lot of people. And the street isn't safe anyway. There's MS sure, but most people are in other time zones and even chat is weird to be in, it's not like people really like to talk or me on the other hand. I like to talk but I don't, don't know how. How fucked up this all can be. And there's my bass.

Yeah, the bass, the only thing that kept me from resorting to self harm so far when I'm growling in frustration and shame and that boiling anger. But oh joy, yesterday around 10.30 pm, I was playing the damned thing and there was this weird thing with the lights flickering and the amp making rather weird noises and suddenly it all went off. Total pitch black. Blackout in almost the whole fucking country! Bloody hell!

Today I tried to turn it on but thing is the electrical stuff is ruined. The bass, the amp, the fridge and a whole lot of other things. I really don't know what I'm going to do now.

Sorry, just venting.

All this pavement"

~ John Mayer

#310011 - 11/11/09 12:42 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: user2007]
kidneythis Offline

Sorry about your electrics, Sounds like a surge. If you can, put a surge protector in between the house socket and all the electrical things you don't want to lose in case of another one. It is usually a short cord with plug a strip of sockets and a switch for on off and a breaker.

I know what you mean. I find doing something anything positive helps. Then do another thing, and another etc. its not easy and the anger feels so right and so wrong at the same time. Someone told me once that not forgiving is like taking poison to spite your enemy.
I know that doesn't help right away but it is important and should be incorporated. I've found my anger at the injustice of it all, and the things I fail at right now because of what happened then, feels less poisonous when I am in a state of forgiveness. Which does slip away once in a while.
I try to accept myself as I am. I also distract myself by searching randomly online for information about abuse, torture, and the long term effects of same. There is a lot more info than the dearth of treatment options and public sympathy would indicate.
But mainly it comes down to doing positive things for yourself. Sometimes just breaking it down to moment by moment steps is necessary. Stream of consciousness; Next I breathe in, then I breathe out. ok wash this cup, dry this cup, put this cup away. Always asking myself what is the next thing I need to do? Not sexy or exciting but it can get you through the tough spots.

#310019 - 11/11/09 01:45 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: kidneythis]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Sorry to hear about your loss my young friend. The news of the big blackout was on MSN last night when I got home. All that they said was that "something" had gone wrong at some hydroelectric dam on the border with Paraguay and that your electric utility had been forced to shut-down both Rio and Sao Paulo. Sometimes major electric appliances have an internal breaker or fuse that will protect the unit in the case of a power surge. My guess is that your refrigerator might have this feature, possibly your amp too. If you can get over to a hardware store or your local Home Depot, or wherever people go in Rio for building supplies, you should be able to pick-up surge protectors for your various electrical components. Your computer should have one too.

Sorry to hear about your loneliness, hope that you can find some friends and some solace for your discouragement soon. Keep working on your recovery and self-esteem, my man, and your future will be much brighter than your reality is today. We're here if you need us, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Mark

#310028 - 11/11/09 04:27 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: Trucker51]
brother2none Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Undisclosed
(((((JMc))))))

From one bass player to another... it's gonna be ok. Its a challenge you can overcome. Check talkbass.com for your next bass, maybe someone can hook you up with a loaner. I'd do it for you but I am a lefty.

Don't delay on finding a temp. bass to use, the playing part is a wonderful release from the stress and tension of the day.

#310031 - 11/11/09 04:46 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: brother2none]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
J,

Just a quick techie note. Yeah I studied electronics AND am a guitar player, well noise maker at least. lol.

While it is possible that the amp is toast, it is probable that the bass guitar wasn't damaged at all. This is dependent of the pick-up design in the bass. If they are passive (no batteries) then it is likely that the bass is fine. If the bass has active electronics, then that part may have been damaged but the bass itself is still good. The electronics may be bypassed easily by a tech at a guitar shop, leaving you with a very functional bass!

Jim

My Story

#310076 - 11/11/09 10:14 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: Jim1961]
user2007 Offline

Hello all and thanks for the responses, I can feel you truly care (even when the subject isn't something considered that important), thanks a lot.

kidneythis, I don't really know why I'm all this angry, to tell the truth there's no reason at all it's just that sometimes it seems all to much and the blood starts to boil and then when I realise I'm already flirting with dangerous things. I don't really know what is it I can do that'll be positive about this. I don't know what to do with my anger other than be rude to people and snap all the time.

Thanks Mark, Ned says thank you too (my bass, I have the weird habit of naming stuff). Yes, the blackout was massive here, most of the country was affected (18 in 27 states) because of failure in Itaipu dam, and many people had trouble with eletronic devices and stuff like food that couldn't stay out of the fridge. They had trouble in hospitals without generators too, the streets were a mess without trafic lights and so on. Comparing to that my little problem doesn't seem that much and watching the news I get that feeling that I'm complaining too much. Oh hell. It doesn't look like my loneliness problems are that much. Sorry I've been annoying you so much lately lol.

Thanks brother2none, maybe I'll really need a temp bass, I don't know if I can hang on for loo much longer without something to do with my hands. I end up doing bad stuff when I have too much time on my hands. I hope you're right and I can overcome this bloody hell.

Jim, my bass has active pickups, so you think it's just a matter of buying new pickups? Because if it is it'll be so much easier. I can try and talk my father into buying me a new amp but if I tell him I need a new bass he'll laugh at my face. I hope you're right! Thanks!

All this pavement"

~ John Mayer

#310081 - 11/11/09 10:45 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: user2007]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, J_M.

I can relate to the emptyiness and being in the dark. Scary shit!!!

Can you feel the love hear? Safe hugs ok....

I know for me when the electricity to my aquarium goes out (i have all the surge protectors so NO water backs up) I am mad and uneasy for awhile until I find another something to do.

The electricity will come back.

Until later,
DJ

BTW - you are NOT an arsehole as you state...

Edited by DJsport (11/11/09 10:51 PM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#310082 - 11/11/09 10:58 PM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: DJsport]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Quote:
I can relate to the emptyiness and being in the dark

i love and cherish the dark! yes i do! it teaches me so much about myself.

all the best,

ron

#310137 - 11/12/09 09:17 AM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: Sans Logos]
user2007 Offline

Yeah I can feel the love. lol

Thanks, not an arsehole, not a arsehole... lol

The dark is good for sleep. For sleep only.

All this pavement"

~ John Mayer

#310140 - 11/12/09 09:49 AM Re: My bass is dead! [Re: user2007]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Not much help here, but as a fisherman I read your title diffrently than most.

Hope you're Bass makes it through, and you can find a smile today!

Good vibes heading your way from NJ.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.