Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
4 registered (Rich1967, Scott1962, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63800 Topics
445512 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#308881 - 11/01/09 05:51 AM How to lose weight
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I have had a lot of difficulty in losing weight. I had some success for a bit, but it keeps bouncing back up.

My history-
When I was a kid, I was 5'5" or so tall, and 120-125 pounds.

After my first head injury (1985) I gained weight and held it around 150 pounds for a few years. It increased in one big jump to 180 pounds. No idea why (1991).

I got it back down to 160 when I enlisted in the army(1992). I held that weight for several years.

When my doctors told me I needed medication, I resisted at first. I weighed 165 pounds and I was jogging/running a mile easy. Then they finally convinced me to do it. The final list of poison was Paxil, Depakote and Risperidal (1997).

Within a few years I got to where I couldn't wear any of my clothes. I had to buy new clothes. I kept getting fatter. Then when I got myself off the drugs, I lost weight fast. I was, before quitting, 235 pounds and I could barely walk 100 meters without serious pain in my legs, hips and back. Within a month or two, I was down to 200, and I was walking 3-1/2 miles with ease (2001).

My weight soon went to 215-220 pounds. I went to see a chiropractor for some pain issues in my back, and he referred me to some nutritional supplements (2003).

I got going on those and within three months I was back down to 200 and this time I hiked the long route (and most difficult) to the top of Rawlins Peak in Wyoming. A month later I went on vacation, and then logged a 7 mile hike just south of Idaho Springs Colorado on some 4x4 roads (2004).

I moved to Colorado (2005) and for some reason my weight went back to 220. I was an active firefighter, but my knees were giving me trouble.

I started a new set of supplements along with those I was taking, and my weight finally dropped down to 190 after a couple years of hard work (2007).

By 2008 my weight was down to 182 pounds.
Then this year, my weight shot like a fucking rocket. When I woke up yesterday, I was 220 again.

So, that's what I have been through. I want to get back down to 165, but right now I have to figure out WHY my weight keeps making such huge jumps.

HELP!

Edited by LilacLouie (11/01/09 06:16 AM)

#308981 - 11/02/09 02:48 AM Re: How to lose weight [Re: LilacLouie]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
What are you, around age 40? Just yesterday I said something about watching what you eat as your metabolism begins to slow down, around the age of 40. In 6 months after my 40th birthday, I had gained 40 lbs even though I had eventually cut way back on eating, and way back on my intake of sweets. I held the previous weight for 6 years with no more that 10 pounds up or down, and the weight before I worked at Coors in 1991-92 since the age of 21 in 1978. I can't say about your history of rapid weight gain or loss, but around the age of 40-45, my first suspicion after a rapid weight gain would be your advancing age and slowing metabolism.

Do you still drink sugared soda pop? Each 12 ounce can of Pepsi has 43 grams of sugar in it, and some energy sodas have even more per ounce than Pepsi or Coke. I lost about 25 lbs when I switched from regular Pepsi to Diet Pepsi. I lost about 50 lbs once on the Atkins Diet too. The Atkins Diet is simple. You are not allowed any sugar or refined carbohydrates. You can eat meat, fish, eggs, and certain vegetables, though not carrots, corn, or beans, as each of those either have natural sugar or high carbs. You will get to be an expert at reading nutrition labels at the grocery store. Some products have good carbs but not too many. Can you make it on salads, blue cheese dressing, hamburger and steaks without A1, though Worcestershire Sauce is OK, fish without tartar sauce, chicken, or shrimp without cocktail sauce, no ketchup or Mayo, though Miracle Whip used sparingly is OK, butter instead of margerine, cut way back on cheese especially processed cheeses, vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, or cauliflower, and snacks like olives or pickles??? If you get diarrhea you will need to take a fiber supplement like Metamucil too.

If you can just stay on this regimen for 4-6 weeks, you should easily lose 30, 40, or even 50 lbs. The problem is that you will gain the weight right back unless you exercise and follow Dr Atkins advanced diet stages and completely eliminate most of the sugar in your diet. I lost 50 lbs myself once on Atkins in about 6 weeks and I was never incredibly good with adherence to his diet either, though I did cut-out most sugar. I did not quit coffee even though Dr Atkins instructs his patients to. Last Spring I was only on Atkins for 10 days and I lost 20 pounds. I keep gaining it back though. Like Roger, I am addicted to ice cream and I like an occasional beer too!!! Also try to reduce your portion sizes too.

Why don't you give the Atkins Diet a try and see if it will help you? Perhaps you can find a copy of one of his books or look him up online too.

Mark

#308989 - 11/02/09 03:41 AM Re: How to lose weight [Re: Trucker51]
LilacLouie Offline

Yeah, I'll look into it. I'm 39. I have a book of his somewhere, I just don't remember where I put it.

#308995 - 11/02/09 05:58 AM Re: How to lose weight [Re: LilacLouie]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Louie,

you need the Zone!!! Not a diet but a way of eating that is really painless. The hardest thing if you do it religiously is eating often enough! Below is a link
to his (the author Dr. Barry Sears). stuff on amazon. His first book, the zone, I'd probably the best place to start if you're interested. When my mother in law did it, after a few months she able to go off her high blood pressure mess for the first time in 30 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_touch_/181-0626661-58229t30?k=Barry+sears

good luck!

Sono

Edited by sono (11/02/09 05:59 AM)

#308998 - 11/02/09 07:46 AM Re: How to lose weight [Re: sono]
LilacLouie Offline

Mark, I have had trouble with some of the chemicals in soda pop. Particularly the sweetner aspartme.

#308999 - 11/02/09 08:10 AM Re: How to lose weight [Re: LilacLouie]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
carl,

i have been an emotional eater ever since my perp/brother died way back in 1975. ever since then, i have been yo-yoing. when i started recovery in 1985, my life's patterns changed and i lost weight as my attitude became more hopeful, and i found other things to keep me occupied; i went down to 135 lbs. i thought that was a good thing...yikes! not! when i graduated after finishing university in 2000, i was at my highest weight of 220lbs. pretty bad for a guy 5'7". the stress and strain of working on that education while trying to make ends meet, and in a lousy relationship...... it all took its toll. i managed to lose a lot of it, but was still too big for my frame, and seemed to hover between 190 - 200. then in 2004 after doing serious OA and meeting with a registered dietician, i got educated about food and actually got down to 155 which is a healthy spot for me. since being in a transitional period for the last two years, i have not been nurturing my food habits as i would prefer, and i have gone over my desired plateau, but it is something i am trying to work with each day, without making it the obsessive compulsive thing it used to be. i am getting more in touch with why i eat emotionally, and that is most important.

anyway.... what works for me when i am working it, can be seen in a post i made a while back. you can check it out here:

healthy eating is more a way of life

thanks for bringing this up. i just may need to have a new, deeper look at it from wiser eyes.

all the best,

ron

#309069 - 11/02/09 05:04 PM Re: How to lose weight [Re: Sans Logos]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
My little sister and her fiancee have lost some weight since they started a gluten-free diet too. Gluten is an artificial wheat/flour binding agent which due to the use of artificially-engineered grains has grown in use tremendously in the last 30 years. A Gluten-free and organic-product diet is not cheap unfortunately, but your City Market stores in your area do have sections of gluten-free and organic products in their stores.

The only sweetener that Dr. Atkins' Diet allows the use of is sucralose or Saccharin, which is the sweetener used in Diet Hansen's sodas. Aspartame (Nutrasweet) isn't any good for you either, Atkins Diet or not, as your body does not digest Aspartame, instead surrounding and isolating the product as an outside intrusion. Aspartame was a product first introduced in the 1960s which was never legalized by the FDA until 20 years later when the President of the G. D. Searle Co, (which makes Nutrasweet) was a large contributor to the Ronald Reagan election committee. There was a several page in-depth story in the Denver-area Westword entertainment magazine right after Nutrasweet was legalized in the 1980s. I'll venture to say that not much has changed in the formula of Nutrasweet to make it safer for human consumption since then either.

The sugar industry is another industry that heavily contributes to Republican candidates too. Great Western Sugar is big here in Colorado, and employs many people here. High-fructose corn syrup is the worst of the sugar-based sweeteners, with a well-documented history of causing rapid weight gain. Coke and Pepsi both switched from sugar to high-fructose corn sweetener back in the late 1980s, and America's obesity rate has tripled since then. You are what you eat and drink, I'm afraid, so just watch what you eat and you should be able to lose some of the weight that you have put on.

Mark

#309124 - 11/03/09 05:46 AM Re: How to lose weight [Re: Trucker51]
LilacLouie Offline

Some of the stuff in soda pop will kill a person alone. Phosphoric acid is a good example. In diet sodas there's a couple of chemicals that are used to clean the steam boilers in ships.

Also, aspartme breaks down in the human body into....
...formaldehyde. That ain't going into MY blood yet, thank you!

#309302 - 11/04/09 03:14 PM Re: How to lose weight [Re: LilacLouie]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Agave is better for you than sugar.

I use is all the time.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#309314 - 11/04/09 04:55 PM Re: How to lose weight [Re: michael Joseph]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This diet thread is good.

Does anyone have a recipe for fish? I've got a bunch of frozen tilapia.

The sugar-buster's diet works for me (or used to) but I love cookies etc so much it is hard to say no. How do you say "no"?

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.