Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63367 Topics
443100 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#308657 - 10/30/09 05:33 PM Parents banned from playground with their own kids
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...aedophiles.html

What the Hell is wrong with you Brits? I thought we in the U.S. were screwed up, but this takes the cake.

Parents banned from watching their children in playgrounds... in case they are paedophiles

By Laura Clark
Last updated at 7:18 PM on 28th October 2009

Parents are being banned from playing with their children in council recreation areas because they have not been vetted by police.

Mothers and fathers are being forced to watch their children from outside perimeter fences because of fears they could be paedophiles.

Watford Council was branded a 'disgrace' yesterday after excluding parents from two fenced-off adventure playgrounds unless they first undergo criminal record checks.

Children as young as five will instead be supervised by council 'play rangers' who have been cleared by the Criminal Records Bureau.

Councillors insist they are merely following Government regulations and cannot allow adults to walk around playgrounds 'unchecked'.

But furious parents attacked the move and threatened to boycott the playgrounds.

Concerns were raised last night that other councils around the country are adopting similar policies amid confusion over Government rules and increasing hysteria over child protection.

It comes amid an escalating row over the Government's new anti-paedophile database, which will contain the names of more than 11million adults cleared to work with children and vulnerable adults.

Mother-of-five Marcella Bergin, 35, from Watford, who has been visiting the play areas for many years, said: 'It's like they are branding all parents potential paedophiles, which is disgraceful.

'Ninety-nine per cent of people are great parents and certainly not child abusers.'

Mother-of-eight Jenny Abbasi, 41, whose children also use the playgrounds, said the new rules were 'a disgrace'.

Miss Abbasi, from Garston, Hertfordshire, said: 'I have been using the playgrounds for 18 years and it's a sad day when parents cannot be involved with the enjoyment of their children.'

The rules were imposed at Harwoods and Harebreaks adventure recreation grounds from this week.

Activities on the half-acre sites include a skateboard half-pipe, a zip line and rope swings.

Play rangers patrol both parks - which are for children aged five to 15 - and are fully qualified with CRB checks.

Parents already have to 'register' their child on arrival so staff have their contact details in the event of an accident. But now only those who have been selected for CRB vetting by the council can enter the sites.

Mayor Dorothy Thornhill argued the council was merely enforcing government policy at the play areas.

'Sadly, in today's climate, you can't have adults walking around unchecked in a children's playground and the adventure playground is not a meeting place for adults,' she said.

But the Tories claimed the row showed the Government's ' heavy- handed' approach to safeguarding was "completely out of control".

#308659 - 10/30/09 05:54 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: Hauser]
jls Offline

Britain is becoming something akin to George Orwell's "1984". I was reading the other day about how much video survaillance there is in public spaces there. Citizens are watched by cameras on virtually every street. In fact it goes further, with the state having recently authorized cameras to be installed in private homes where they suspect that there isn't "proper parenting" so the government can watch when meal times, bed times, etc are. I'm sorry but this is going too far. Nevermind the adults for a second. What about the safety and security of children? Seems to me they are encouraging kids to grow up watchful and paranoid, knowing that there every move is being recorded from birth onward.

#308661 - 10/30/09 05:59 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: Hauser]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Presumed guilt until innocence is proven.

All done in the name of protecting the children. Tell me, who's going to protect the children from the government?

#308662 - 10/30/09 06:17 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: Barkabus]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
JLS, you expressed my sentiments to the T

Why isn't family protecting the kids? What happened to community?

Not to go off on a deep end here but, ........ what happened to our humanity? What happened to the times when we didn't "need" government to "watch" "bad" parents?

Was there not a time, not too long ago, when Grandparents and community would make "bad" parents accountable for their negligence?

Now we rely on government to "protect the children"?

What happened?

#308664 - 10/30/09 06:46 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: Hauser]
jls Offline

I read an interesting article recently concerning AIDS orphans in Africa where 10 years ago the predictions were that a whole generation of kids would be lost as a result of their parents dying from the disease. Such speculation was based on how African governments would or would not be able to provide for them. Turns out none of these predications came true since communities in Africa have never relied or depended on their governments in the first place. Rather, when children are orphaned the aunts, uncles and grandparents step in to care for them. Going to some corrupt government offical for help is the last thing an African would do in a time of need.

#308726 - 10/31/09 03:10 AM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: jls]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Maybe I missed this, but if they are keeping the parents from playing with their kids in the playground because the parents might be pedos, what are they doing about that suspicion when the parents LEAVE the playground with their kids? If the parents are enough of a threat to the children that they cannot play with them in public, then wouldn't the police be guilty of reckless endangerment because they let the kids go home with the potential threats?

Now if that thought loses you, imagine this- let's say they refuse to let KNOWN pedos play with kids in the park. That's reasonable, right? But then they let the kids go home with them?

The reasoning by the council is flawed, much to their detriment. The liability they face can be immense.

#308729 - 10/31/09 04:00 AM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: LilacLouie]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

You can read it this way...pedo parents are welcome to their kids, just not at council recreation areas, unless, of course, the pedo parents pass police vetting (whatever that is). Somehow I can see that happening.

Whoever is responsible for the text of this regulation needs to answer for his/her outrageous blunder

#308896 - 11/01/09 12:17 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: Barkabus]
duncanUK Offline
MaleSurvivor

the UK is so screwed up i want to leave. they(the goverenment here go on and on about how un democratic other countries are. just look what is happening over here.

#308907 - 11/01/09 01:47 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: duncanUK]
many_mees Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow! What the H*** happened to sensibility?

Have we relinquished our common sense for the security of "the government" in our lives?

I say take back control! If you can elect them, you can vote them out of office too! Rise up and stop this insanity in the name of "protecting the children".

It's the worst kind of abuse of power when the powerful have to stoop to using defensless children to remain in power. Shame on them!

#308926 - 11/01/09 05:35 PM Re: Parents banned from playground with their own kids [Re: many_mees]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: many_mees
Wow! What the H*** happened to sensibility?

Have we relinquished our common sense for the security of "the government" in our lives?

I say take back control! If you can elect them, you can vote them out of office too! Rise up and stop this insanity in the name of "protecting the children".

It's the worst kind of abuse of power when the powerful have to stoop to using defensless children to remain in power. Shame on them!

Put it this way, I voted against them last time, but voters are lazy until things get seriously screwed up like being a trillion or so in debt for 20 years. Cannot wait to go and vote next time to get rid of my unelected Prime Minister.

This child protection policy is like everything else left-wing governments do - unworkable nonsense bureaucracy designed to make everyone think they are governing, when it never stands up in real life. Meanwhile over in North London at another lefty council, you have children getting murdered with their back broken because the money to train social workers properly so they can do their job gets pissed away on BS like a Turkish language mother and baby clinic for women who spent decades in our country without bothering to learn English, to name one example. It's total BS.

I'm afraid the next Government, however it's made up, will have to have Democracy under threat of a fine or whatever they do in Australia to make voting compulsory for almost full turnout - English people (specifically English - the Scottish took quite well to their new Parliament) have become lazy and would rather vote in a TV talent show than an election - that's that generation, I've missed one mayoral election since leaving home, and that's coming on for a decade. Also this government has pandered to whichever minority will vote for them, ignoring the concerns of blue-collar/working class people and that has allowed hard-right fascists to get into our councils and into the European Union - when previously, the protest vote would have gone to the Liberal Democrats or Environmental Green parties. It's just one thing after another, since they fired a scientist advising them on drugs policy when he complained that his work was practically ignored- that was two days ago. They don't listen, are more concerned with feathering their nests before they are thrown out, but with six weeks to Christmas, the pain will only last six more months. That's the upside.

@ Duncan: I know one friend about to go travelling on his redundancy money and at least three more that emigrated, but after lots of travel in my childhood and adolescence I wouldn't have any kind of extended time away from my country again unless I was happy that I'd got everything I could from the place. You can't hide from recession by moving countries, is what I'm really trying to say, so you might as well dig your heels in and fight for life where you are. If you're under 30 with no ties, no mortgage and no commitments though, by all means check out the rest of the world, and who knows what will happen?

Edited by ComicBookGuy (11/01/09 05:37 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.