I know this is confusing for me to deal with. In my case, it was an uncle from my deceased dad's side of the family. My brother and I were "invited to visit" for the summer. It turned out we were not free to leave. We were abused, brutalized and terrified. I actually sought to please him and did not grasp opportunities to leave. My mother eventually joined us, only to be in the same situation (I can't remember anything she might have suffered and only now remember what happened to me). If you read the stories of Shawn Hornbeck, Jaycee Dugard and Steven Stayner, it is common though. Shawn Hornbeck has been concerned that people understand his actions. That was what finally released my memories was his explanation of the deal with the devil. I wanted a father badly, I was subjected to pain I could never have imagined as a 9yo in ways I couldn't understand, I was terrorized. Yet I heard my mother plotting our departure and was ready to tell on her. What exactly happened in my mind will take a long time to understand.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.