Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, philistine, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63359 Topics
443049 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#307732 - 10/23/09 01:38 PM Religious Trauma
Matt0487 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
So, this week during our Chapel service which I usually skip. I was triggered. Every since I left my home town, going to Church has been a chore. It has filled me with anger and confusion over my own situation. As the onion of my life is peeling, new trauma is being revealed and now I am realizing religious trauma. This isn't sexual abuse but trauma relating to the chaos of the Pentecostal Religion I grew up in. The shame of feeling different and condemned for feeling impure and unloved by a God who was supposed to represent love. I was was also very confused by the masks people wore: masks of judgment, masks of religious jargon, and ultimately masks of denial. I am now in a process of "losing my religion" and dying to things that have unhealthily held my life in shame. Have any of you had similar experiences in therapy with Religious trauma that's what my therapist calls it (he is a Christian therapist too weird)

#307734 - 10/23/09 01:45 PM Re: Religious Trauma [Re: Matt0487]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
matt,

bravo! and encore!

'religion' is pretty unforgiving. i can't begin to tell you how grateful i am to have been delivered from the power it formerly held over me.

all the best,

ron

#307775 - 10/23/09 07:53 PM Re: Religious Trauma [Re: Sans Logos]
Mike1968 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Glad you got out. I have experienced it, not in therapy but during the short time we were members of a Seventh Day Adventist Church. They were very focused on externals and not the heart. It's your choice but churches vary greatly, our current church is a blessing to us. Pastor sticks to the bible, word for word, it's expository preaching. Good for you for recognizing it for what it is

Mike

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.