Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
5 registered (Austintexan, Obi, 3 invisible), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63122 Topics
441411 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#307426 - 10/21/09 05:21 AM School Orientations...
b869 Offline

Loc: Philippines
I Just got back home from school. We had an orientation about the teenage parents. We always have orientations like sex, drugs, college life, and etc but we never had any orientation about childhood abuse or anything about abuses...

I'm pretty sure I am not the only one in school who has been abused and I'm pretty sure that they too feel alone and are in hiding like me. Before I found this site I was alone. I didn't know what was happening to me. As a result I went to alcohol and drugs. I went to school drunk almost everyday. I even puked at a teacher once. If i knew back then that I could talk to someone at school or at least I'm not alone. Maybe I wouldn't be so much in a mess now.

I was wondering if any of you guys had an orientation when you were at school? and if you did, did it really help?

I'm planning to organize an orientation about it in my schools and in other schools here in the Philippines. I have no idea how to start it in my school and still me maintain being anonymous about it but ohh well I gusee I can find a way somehow..

Marvin

When thing get complicated go back to simplicity

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

#307430 - 10/21/09 07:17 AM Re: School Orientations... [Re: b869]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I am not the only one in school who has been abused

nope, statistics say 1 in 6. when you look around, you wonder who are the others, eh?

marvin, if you start something like this, it will probably mean becoming public about your own abuse, and putting your family on the spot. it sounds like a very brave undertaking. it sounds like you are ready to disclose.

all the best to you in your venture!

ron

#307437 - 10/21/09 08:44 AM Re: School Orientations... [Re: Sans Logos]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Marvin,

At most schools in the US, there is a student counseling center. Do you think there is anything like that where you are? If so, you might want to try looking it up. If not, maybe you can find a local sexual abuse support center, maybe like a crisis center-if they have something like that where you are. Usually they do counseling, but also Advocacy and Outreach like you are talking about. As Sans Logos said, just know that if you do this project, you and what happened to you is going to come into the spotlight; just be ready for that.

I wish you all the best. If there is anything I can do, let me know.

J.R.

#307454 - 10/21/09 11:06 AM Re: School Orientations... [Re: Sans Logos]
b869 Offline

Loc: Philippines
Originally Posted By: sans logos
marvin, if you start something like this, it will probably mean becoming public about your own abuse, and putting your family on the spot. it sounds like a very brave undertaking. it sounds like you are ready to disclose.

I know that my abuse would be public forgot about the family part... My family would rather keep my abuse a secret for sure. That would be a problem for sure... so I'm gonna try to find a way to keep my name anonymous.. I know its not possible to keep it a secret from the faculty members but its okay I guess I just hope don't want the students to know about my abuse. I think its possible or at least I hope it could be possible

To be honest I have no idea what I gonna do. LOL I'm not even sure if I could do it... I just got the idea today. LOL

Marvin

When thing get complicated go back to simplicity

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

#307472 - 10/21/09 02:20 PM Re: School Orientations... [Re: b869]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

Gonna post it here too: (copied and pasted)

woah marv i think if you did it you'd be making a huge difference y know i think its a great idea and it takes a lot of balls.. think you might b exposed and all..

i've talked bout this too, last year like in Feb there was an abuse orientation in school for the first time but it was meant for gals. guys were only speeched about how to respect gals and to understand no means no and t b carefull if you are gay (?!) pretty stupid actually.

Take a look at the letter for 8th graders it might give you some ideas.

Maybe you could talk to any of the mods, they can help you with the planning, the safe stuff n that

it's a great idea really

#307476 - 10/21/09 02:49 PM Re: School Orientations... [Re: Daniel_forgotten]
J1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
I agree with Daniel..this could be a very compelling event for your own surviving and , even reaching one other person that does't know where to turn. As Daniel mentions you have tremendous personal exposure and it would be good to have backup with friends and associates/mentors so there is a plan. I am inclined to say few would sign up in a large setting. Perhaps referring to this site is a starting point that offers more privacy.

I have seen Oprah, and countless media referrals to female victims. I cannot recall any recent public male survivor segments. As I type this now, sober, strong and experienced in media, I am forming some ideas about telling my story in a more public manner. Some of this is coupled with a recent suicide of a younger gay pal, who endured depression, self mutilation, drugs and the entire menu of coping mechanisms we all face. i think its all related, and I need some input...

I need to rough draft my story at some level...for its about survival and relearning how to laugh....play...and experience life. You guys give me energy..I hope I can do the same...Hugs!!! Jeffrey

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.