Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (ACRoberts, takingitslow), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63123 Topics
441416 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#304377 - 09/27/09 10:33 AM For anyone attending the Ohio Workshop
unopenedmail Offline

I am currently signed up for the Ohio level#1 workshop. I am new to this site and to male survovor therapy. I was wondering if there was anyone else attending or anyone's input from those who have attended. I live in an area with limited resources to males survivors. Thank you for you for your support.

#304409 - 09/27/09 04:08 PM Re: For anyone attending the Ohio Workshop [Re: unopenedmail]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
A number of our senior staff members have attended our workshops. You might ask Michael Banks, or Jim (Geeders), or Andy (Former Texan), or any of several other current members about their experiences with our workshops. Roger (Freedom49) and Mike (Barkabus) are other longtime members who have attended at least a Level-one workshop too.

Mark

#304410 - 09/27/09 04:09 PM Re: For anyone attending the Ohio Workshop [Re: unopenedmail]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Hi Unopenedmail:

If I understand what you are asking, I think you are asking for info from those who have already attended a Level 1 Weekend of Recovery. If I am correct, I may be able to assist.

I don't live in an area with a lot of resources either. In fact, locally there was one option for individual therapy. When I started it last year, despite feeling that at long last I was starting to get my life back, I felt utterly alone in my real life with my survivor status. I didn't know one single solitary soul who was like me. Until I attended the Weekend of Recovery at Mysthaven, near Toronto, last year.

Then, to meet 18 other men, just like me, well, I could start crying all over again about just how good, and empowering it was for me. Yes, it was scary at first. Just the thought of meeting other men like me was almost enough to make me want to run and hide. But I decided I had had enough of the secrets, and lies, and bullshit, and managed to get my butt in the door. And without a doubt, I met the most caring bunch of guys possible. No disbelief, no judgements, no blaming. It was pure acceptance on a level I had never, ever previously experienced, or dared to dream was possible.

The facilitator team, headed by Howard was nothing short of expert, and superb. They have been doing this for a number of years now, and they know what the hell they are doing. Despite being with a large number of other men, each of us was treated as an individual with an inherent self worth. And when it came time to share our stories, we all found ourselves on a level playing field. Sure, the stories of how we all got here differ, but I was , and continue to be amazed at the similarities of the aftermath. How we feel, as men, and how now, for whatever reason, we have chosen a better path toward recovery. Understanding perhaps for the first time in our adult lives that it was not our fault. Ever.

I'll stop gushing about the merits of a Weekend of Recovery now. But please feel free to ask any other questions, either here, or via PM if that would be more comfortable for you. It goes without saying that attending my first WoR changed my entire outlook on life. And having just returned from a Level 2 WoR, I still have no regrets. At all.

Jim

#304447 - 09/27/09 10:22 PM Re: For anyone attending the Ohio Workshop [Re: Geeders]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

The level 1 Recovery Weekend is one of the most empowering programs I've ever been to. The ability to tell my story among men who understand what I'm talking about and thusly were able to empathize rather than judge was truly healing and special.

Other than that I think Jim has pretty much said everything I could or would so I'll just recommend you go back and read his posting again! smile The event is well worth the time and expense it takes to get there.

John

#307214 - 10/19/09 11:50 PM Re: For anyone attending the Ohio Workshop [Re: WalkingSouth]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
unopenedmail,

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be at the Hope Springs event this weekend! See you there! smile

Michael

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.