Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63172 Topics
441743 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#307196 - 10/19/09 10:16 PM How do you let the past go?
sportinrucks Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Louisiana
Ive tried letting go I went to a rehab and let go of my past in the desert but it doesnt work, I just cant get over it, and all of the bullying that I went through in high school and the military I get really angry I cant function anymore I get extremely angry idk what to do.

#307255 - 10/20/09 04:41 AM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: sportinrucks]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to let anything go. I asked people how. Counselors, disability advocates, they all said "just get over it. Let it go." And I never could figure it out. All they would say is "you just do". Which is a lie. You just don't.

Letting it go is very hard, but one of the biggest parts of letting it go is realizing that there is nothing you can do about it. It's past. It's over with. It only persists in your mind. Yeah, it happened and yeah it hurt. Yeah the damage is there, but YOU can decide if it's going to bother you.

I know Sport, that doesn't help you any. You're likely to be angry now yelling "how dare you! I don't want it to bother me! How can you tell me that I'm letting it? You bastard! You don't understand!" I know that because I have been there.

You see, no one was willing to tell me how THEY got past it. Now something to understand here is that you will have a long hard battle to completely get over it. Whatever "it" is. But the biggest part is just starting.

I learned this recently, and I keep learning it. I'll tell you how I do it, but it's your call if you do it that way. After all what works for me may not work for you.

I pray. I pray to God and I beg Him and His Son Jesus for help. "Please, I beg you Father, I beg you Jesus, help me stop these flashbacks. Help me get past this. Help me stop hitting myself.

And you know something? It works. THAT told me there is a God after all. I tried to tell myself this, praying to myself as if there was no god. One of my counselors laughed at me thinking there was a god, and he suggested it. Pray to yourself. Make yourself your own god in your own mind. And you know something? It just plain failed terribly. And until recently when I started praying to God for help, nothing would stop it.

Now I pray, and I find out so well when I forget to ask for His help. The flashbacks are still there, but with prayer they are far less damaging. I don't hit myself anymore. I just gotta keep praying.

I realize that you may not be a Christian. If you aren't that's just fine. I understand. Pick a god, pick a religion, and PRAY. Having a power higher than yourself helps. And when you ask your higher power, in my case Jesus, to take on these burdens, to relieve you of their torment, it may not happen over night, but it happens. You just gotta keep praying.

That works for me, Sport. IMO, if you pray to God, and beg fopr His help, He'll help. But it's gotta be everyday. IMO.

I hope this doesn't offend you if you;'re not religious.

#307342 - 10/20/09 06:20 PM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: LilacLouie]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
EMDR helped me with PTSD and flashbacks more than any other single treatment. The general counseling and treatments for DID set me up for the EMDR treatments.

I believe in prayer too.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#307404 - 10/21/09 12:07 AM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: pufferfish]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sport,

I don't have an easy answer for you here, but I think it takes time. As best you can, try and make your life as it exists today the best you can make it. It takes time and is a struggle but is worth it. For myself when I can make "today" good enough I don't think as much about the past. Certainly I still slip into those "moods" or "places" or what have you where I get stuck in the trauma. And I am certain that cycle will continue to happen in some fashion or another for some time. But I know it will pass and I can get back into the present. Sometimes it seems like it never ends, but seriously it can get better. I as well pray at times, though sometimes I don't. But I do find some peace in it when I do.

Eric

#307482 - 10/21/09 03:57 PM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: ericc]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Like I have said so many times. First we have to deal with our anger and sadness, shame and guilt, then learn better self esteem and better, more-positive coping skills. Once we are learning better self-esteem and learning to value and take care of ourselves better, we learn how to take chances in life, small at first, less-fearful of and less-affected by failure. We then build on our successes, which will get us to feel better about ourselves and will instill more self-confidence, which will encourage us to take even greater chances seeking more success.

I don't see how a rehab program of a month's duration could have substantial immediate benefits, though it could begin to deal with a number of issues and send someone in the right direction, a direction which would require more work to stay successful. If your shame wasn't completely dealt with during this rehab, and you didn't learn better coping skills, any letdown following rehab would have had a much greater chance of dragging you back down. You also sound like you could use some social-type rehab too, to get over all of the bullying and loss of trust from your earlier experiences too. But there is some hope as you have made some good progress already in your recovery.

Hope that this helps you understand the path to letting-go of our past a little bit better. Once we feel better and more confident about ourselves it is much easier to overlook or let-go of the limitations of our past. Getting to the point of letting-go of our past is like building a roof on a house. First you build the foundation then the supporting walls before you build the roof. You have to take the necessary steps to get to the point where letting-go is the next step.

Mark

#307675 - 10/22/09 11:32 PM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: Trucker51]
sportinrucks Offline
MaleSurvivor

im a part of the church idk about aa yet Im not really worried about that right now Im worried about getting into a univerity finding a career and staying out of the poor house.

#307676 - 10/22/09 11:36 PM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: sportinrucks]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Do you have any particular areas of interest? Is there something in particular you would like to pursue or it that more up in the air? Maybe take the next couple/few months thinking about what you would like to do. You could set some small goals to work towards and see how that turns out. Get a couple small victories under your belt and in the process gain a better sense of what you are interested in. Just a thought. Keep reaching out.

Eric

#307695 - 10/23/09 02:22 AM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: ericc]
sportinrucks Offline
MaleSurvivor

i would be good at english but am thinking about going into counselling of some sort

#307810 - 10/24/09 12:10 AM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: sportinrucks]
DannyT Offline

For me the best help by far has been meditation. I wrote a couple intro posts on it a few years back. Here're the links it case they're useful.

Danny

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...2023#Post192023

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...5575#Post275575

#307811 - 10/24/09 12:16 AM Re: How do you let the past go? [Re: DannyT]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am letting go by being here and talking and seeing a T.

I feel and talk

I journal.

I scream.

I have fun.

I tell my story

I trust you and all who are safe.

Not tracking well tonight so my sentences are short and not well put together.

Edited by DJsport (10/24/09 12:18 AM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.