Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (motmcd, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#307096 - 10/19/09 11:51 AM Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11
TNuss Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Del-A-Ware???
Wilmington diocese files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Filing freezes sex-abuse cases hours before scheduled trial

The Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, which has pastoral charge of 233,000 Roman Catholics, sought protection Sunday night in federal bankruptcy court in an attempt to manage the potential liability resulting from a flood of clergy sexual-abuse lawsuits, the first of which was scheduled to start today.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091019/NEWS/910190334&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

The Catholic Diocese of Wilmington filed for Chapter 11 protection as it faces court cases involving clergy and sexual abuse.

The filing comes less than a week after respected former Bishop Michael Saltarelli was laid to rest. Bishop Saltarelli wrestled with the issue during his time as bishop. http://www.ledgerdelaware.com/articles/2009/10/18/news/doc4adbcac9d0e85707682911.txt

Statement by Bartholomew J. Dalton of Dalton & Associates, P.A., Wilmington, an attorney for more than 50 victims of sexual abuse who filed lawsuits under Delaware's Child Victims Act. http://www.ledgerdelaware.com/articles/2009/10/18/news/doc4adbdbd7af426185667920.txt

Edited by TNuss (10/19/09 11:52 AM)

In harmony,
Troy

#307097 - 10/19/09 11:59 AM Re: Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11 [Re: TNuss]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
OMFG!

this is gonna be one in a series of many, i'm sure. why did it take so damned long for this to happen????? How many more will follow suit? i guess i won't be applying for any positions in that diocese anytime in the near future........ *slinks away hopefully unobserved*

signed,

anonymous

#307117 - 10/19/09 01:50 PM Re: Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11 [Re: Sans Logos]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
That wasn't a slink, that was a run!

I observed you.

We know who you are! grin

#307118 - 10/19/09 01:51 PM Re: Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11 [Re: Geeders]
pluckmemory Offline

Unbelievable. Can't they sell off some property or something?

#307170 - 10/19/09 08:06 PM Re: Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11 [Re: pluckmemory]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys, this isn't the first catholic archdiocese to pull this stunt. We went through it with the Portland, Oregon Archdiocese 5 years back. It was the first case filed by an archdiocese in the US.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31266-2004Jul6.html

Here, quoted from the Portland Archdiocese session minutes, is a report on the final disposition of the bankruptcy which was finalized in mid 2007.

Quote:
BANKRUPTCY UPDATE

Fr. Dennis O’Donovan reported. A press conference was held on April 17, 2007 to announce the conclusion of the bankruptcy. The decree of dismissal from bankruptcy in its entirety will likely come around August 1. There are still some small reports to file and other details to complete. The diocese has one year to determine how to best restructure itself. In Canon Law, each parish is a separate “juridic person”. An archdiocesan committee will be formed to investigate how the diocese could be structured so that church law is best reflected in Oregon civil law. The committee will include members from the parish group on bankruptcy.

At this point, all of the claimants have been paid, including the trade creditors, who were paid with interest. A future claims fund with a $20 million cap is in place for twenty-three years. Currently, there is $2 million in the future claims fund with a $15 million letter of credit. Allied Irish has provided the financing.

Insurance companies paid $52 million toward the settlements. No parish properties or parish money was used to pay the settlements. Despite its difficulties, the bankruptcy has allowed the archdiocese to achieve some finality.

The archdiocese will work toward healing and will continue to update its child protection program. The diocese is looking at a company called Praesidium to help provide training and education on prevention of child sexual abuse. Cathy Shannon continues to serve as the full-time Child Protection Officer for the archdiocese. In November, the archdiocese will be audited by an independent agency for compliance with the U.S. Bishops’ charter for the protection of children.

The archbishop added that if he had it to do over again, even though it was not easy, he would indeed declare bankruptcy. As a result of the bankruptcy, insurance companies contributed significantly to the settlement and finality has been achieved. Parish monies were not used to pay the settlement.

#307263 - 10/20/09 05:15 AM Re: Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11 [Re: WalkingSouth]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Amazing.

The FBI and BATF justified Waco, the murder of men women and children and burning down a church, claiming it was to protect the kids (the same kids, 'mind you, the fire killed in the basement) from CSA.

So why havn't we heard of any Catholic churches getting torched?

#307498 - 10/21/09 05:38 PM Re: Catholic Diocese file for Chapter 11 [Re: LilacLouie]
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
Many compliants were filed in the courts during this 2 yr window Delaware had to file a civil case agianst the abuser for all kinds of abuse. The sad part about this is the Delaware Catholic Diocese is the only defendant filing for Chapter 11. So the 140 or so victims that filed agianst the Diocese are being victimized yet once again. As for all the other cases that were filed against parents, siblings other church's, teachers, babysitter's(who ever), etc...will still get there day in court. I was Abused by a priest and I am persuing justice. I could not imagine that after years of suppressing then comming foward to get so close to a day in court, to only have the defendants hide behind yet another law that will protect them. The law does very little for the victim and so much for the abuser. this is sad. My heart bleeds for the victims that thought they would soon have there day in court to find the rug was pulled out from under there feet.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.