Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, 2 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63546 Topics
443994 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#306880 - 10/18/09 01:10 AM Where the Wild Things Are (Book and Movie!)
cpt. confusion Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: midwest
alright, I had to post something here since this movie just came out this weekend... I absolutely loved this book when I was young, and I've been waiting to watch the movie since I first heard they were making it, and it did not disappoint!

If you haven't read this book it's a great story about being a kid, and dealing with life when things get tough to handle (as I think most of us here can relate to...). While it's not a story about a survivor, I feel like any of us can relate to how the main character escapes to a fantasy world that helps him to sort things out, and to create something positive for himself and learn how to deal with issues.

I loved that this movie gave me a chance to see the innocence of youth and imagination come to life, and gave me the chance to escape back to a shared fantasy world and relate to the ups and downs that Max (the main character) goes through...

Overall, the theme is not too heavy, and gives insight to how kids process troubling issues for themselves, and how they use their imagination to learn and to grow...

-Cpt.

*WoR Alum
Sequoia I-March '11
Alta II, September '11

#306903 - 10/18/09 08:36 AM Re: Where the Wild Things Are (Book and Movie!) [Re: cpt. confusion]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This book literally kept me alive in my childhood. I wished/dreamed/pretended I was Max every day. The trailers for the movie brought up alot of really bad feelings. I debated seeing it in the theaters but I think I'm gonna watch it in the safety of my apartment. I'm glad to hear that the movie is well done.

#306944 - 10/18/09 03:37 PM Re: Where the Wild Things Are (Book and Movie!) [Re: Riley]
Matt0487 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Seeing it tonight with my little boy!

MATT

#307133 - 10/19/09 03:43 PM Re: Where the Wild Things Are (Book and Movie!) [Re: Matt0487]
TGIK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY,NY 10011
I have to say, I was excited about seeing the movie, but found it a little daunting to follow on an emotional level. There are a lot of emotions being thrown around, and I found it confusing. This might even be a good take on how a 9 year old boy might feel. Some of his emotions are so raw and unfettered I found it hard to sit through, but it didn't make me enjoy the film any less. Go see it. Nicely done, but the joy that comes across in the commercials isn't quite what the experience is....

tgik

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.