Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (unhappycamper, Kylie), 48 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441379 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#306122 - 10/12/09 11:10 AM Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Hero!

#307523 - 10/21/09 08:42 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: Sans Logos]
Hex Offline

Loc: Canada
The release of his book, and similarities between his abuser's methods and my own, is what sparked me to find this group in the first place. I owe him a debt of gratitude, for sure!

#307569 - 10/22/09 01:52 AM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: Hex]
LeafsFan Offline

Loc: Toronto
Theoren Fleury is extremely inspiring. I had been following his comeback since september, and then was shocked when he revealed his revelation of Child abuse.

I am reading playing with Fire right now.

Edited by LeafsFan (10/22/09 01:53 AM)

#307570 - 10/22/09 01:58 AM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: Sans Logos]
LeafsFan Offline

Theoren Fleury on the Canadian program The Hour.

Part One:

Part Two:

#307978 - 10/25/09 12:55 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: LeafsFan]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Thanks Leafsfan, until the postal strikes are finished in the UK it'll be a while before this book makes it over here so I'll watch/listen to the above whilst I wait.

#308017 - 10/25/09 04:37 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: ComicBookGuy]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I just bought the book a couple days ago. I am looking forward to reading it. I appreciate the fact that Theo came forward with this. I know it was speculated for a long time that he was another victim when Sheldon Kennedy disclosed some years ago, and I can understand him not wanting to come forward at the time. I am sure he is like many of us who just wanted it all to disappear and go away.

I think I read somewhere when I was reading up on all the recent news that Theo said he didn't want to be the poster boy for abuse (I may have this wrong) and I fully respect that he may not want to have this issue always front and center as to who he is (hey, it messes with us big time *but it is not who we are*). He has already done mounds of good just by disclosing. It helps others "get it". And certainly someone of his stature who was considered a very tough hockey player (with lots of talent), to have him taken down by this stuff only helps others realize how hard this stuff can be. My hat is off to the guy and I appreciate what he did in talking about it.

Eric

#308049 - 10/25/09 07:46 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: ericc]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's debatable certainly, I haven't read all the media reaction to Fleury or the book but what we have now are up to 150 victims of one paedophile, and two survivors who retired before disclosing, that decision vindicated by those players that were traded to lower leagues or fired or had their careers ruined in other ways by James or the Hockey authorities when they tried to speak out.

Like the presenter of The Hour mentioned, there's another ton of books waiting to be written there about how that fuckup was allowed to happen in Canadian Hockey.

Given the fact that his own kid kicked his arse on the phone and apparently fast-tracked his sobriety somewhat, he handled it how it was handled and I don't judge on that score. The book will certainly help, I'll just have to be patient and hope my mail gets back to normal so I can buy it and soon. Otherwise it can be an early Christmas gift to myself.

#308377 - 10/27/09 10:50 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: ComicBookGuy]
LeafsFan Offline

It's a great read. It reads like a movie that Theoren is narrating.

Additionally, it comes with all his slang, anecdotes, humor and vulgar language, so for that it comes across as truly genuine and sincere, where in some biographies that stuff is edited out.

His story is amazing. The sexual abuse aside, its incredible that he made it to the elite hockey league that is the NHL at his height and size (5'6 180lbs). It just shows how much determination this little guy had.

On top of that he had Crohn's Disease and at 15 years old suffered a cut under his arm that severed a nerve leaving him without feeling in one of his hands and forcing him to learn how to shoot with the opposite hand.

Then he overcame a severe drug and alcohol addiction to try and make an NHL comeback at age 41!

Theoren Fleury exemplifies the word determination.

Here's his wikipedias entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoren_Fleury

This is a fan made youtube clip, but it chronicles his hockey career.

#315235 - 12/19/09 05:10 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: LeafsFan]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK and I finally have this book on order from Amazon so I will get to read it properly and have a bookend to Sheldon Kennedy's book.

#323383 - 02/26/10 01:09 PM Re: Playing with Fire: Theo Fleury Story [Re: ComicBookGuy]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

After reading the book three times, finally reviewed Playing With Fire and Sheldon Kennedy's from 2006, together.

http://www.childabusesurvivor.net/reviews/

and those will be the top reviews all weekend, since I'm exhausted and have exams next week - had to get them done before that.

Edited by ComicBookGuy (02/26/10 01:10 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.