Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
7 registered (Going forward, journey4two, crabbott, 4 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63397 Topics
443261 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#305878 - 10/10/09 03:45 PM Feeling "Safe" Feels Unsafe
jls Offline

Has anyone else experienced this dichotomy? I am in counselling right now and the therapist I'm seeing keeps trying to focus on feelings of safety yet I struggle with this since being prepared for an unsafe world feels alot more secure to me. Even silly examples like refusing to where a bike helmet while cycling sticks out. This may sound ridiculous but I have the irrational idea that if I were to wear a helmet then I wouldn't be as vigilent in traffic since the helmet is a false sense of security, stupid as this sounds. In general, in day to day life I am afraid to say everything is going to be OK for fear that it won't be and then I'll be left unprepared.

#305896 - 10/10/09 08:43 PM Re: Feeling "Safe" Feels Unsafe [Re: jls]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
jls

I have experienced a lot of paradoxical emotions, but not about safety issues.

Although now that I think of it, I was somewhat of a daredevil driver when I was young.

I guess I did some very dangerous stuff when I was in my twenties. For instance. I was teaching in Africa. I went out for a walk very late at night (not advisable). The dogs barked and a man ran out of a mud hut and held a machete over my head. I shined my light in my face. I wasn't intending to be scary, as this is an old Halloween trick to make you look scary. Anyway, he lowered his machete (not on me) and here I am!

Also, I have had the reaction of feeling sad to happy music.

Allen

aka pufferfish whistle

#305917 - 10/10/09 10:43 PM Re: Feeling "Safe" Feels Unsafe [Re: pufferfish]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
jls,

I have experienced this paradoxical feeling/belief many times. I think it has to do with our fear of letting our guard down. Anything that makes us think that we'll lose that sense of "hypervigilance" that has accompanied us since our trauma is considered dangerous, even if it is something that is supposed to make us safe.

Good post jls,

Rocco

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.