Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, Tiger1982, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63220 Topics
442072 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#305489 - 10/07/09 08:56 AM church ordains sex offender
myboyhoodfears Offline

this story has me so freaked out i cant even adequately express my outrage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33090795/ns/us_news-life//

#305491 - 10/07/09 09:42 AM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: myboyhoodfears]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

I read about this a few days ago. As much as I am for redemption and allowing sex offenders to come back into society, this decision is easily the dumbest decision those officials could have made. The man is prohibited by law from holding any position in the church, so I do not even understand how it is that he could legally be ordained.

Every day I die again, and again Iím reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you canít defeat/Neither down nor out/Thereís nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#305521 - 10/07/09 03:54 PM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: jacobtk]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Can't even be bothered to rant, next the church members will be leaving their babies in their buggies out in the road for the traffic to flatten them, that's essentially what they've done with the safety of their kids in supporting this appointment.

Future members for this site is all I'm seeing. Wonder if he'd abused a girl, that the appointment would still have gone ahead?

Edited by ComicBookGuy (10/07/09 03:54 PM)

#305565 - 10/07/09 10:05 PM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: ComicBookGuy]
GeorgeMartin Offline

Loc: USA
This just REALLY PISSES ME OFF. It brings back the days of my childhood when my abusers would get all dressed up in their finest, go to Chruch and PRAY FOR FORGIVENESS, and yet they would abuse us constantly at home, on their property, anywhere where they had concealability and access to do what they did. God have mercy on that congregation for allowing this offender into their midst. But then again "Kentucky" pretty much explains it all. Small minds, do small thinking. Small towns bred small minds..... so they say anyway. I am beginning to think they were right in saying this.

#305574 - 10/07/09 10:50 PM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: GeorgeMartin]
myboyhoodfears Offline

well it seems Douglas that this church is rather liberal, since they don't discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation there...im curious as to why there was no objection to this ordination by any of the parishioners, it doesn't seem they are all "backwoods hillbillies" considering one of the assistant pastors is a gay rights activist/ school teacher, who saw no problem with the ordinaining a convicted sex offender/pedophile....i think its also intriguing that they think he "changed"...and is no longer a risk....gee i wonder what they base that assumption on.

Edited by myboyhoodfears (10/07/09 11:03 PM)

#305595 - 10/08/09 03:45 AM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: myboyhoodfears]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Comic book guy,

Here we are again agreeing...NO FUCKING WAY would he be anywhere near their beloved god fearing little church if he'd fucked some little cute pig-tailed girl. Clearly the boy was the devil/snake offer up his apple to poor unsuspecting Adam. Don't mean to disagree with mbf, but this ain't liberal this is fucking nuts.

Edit/addendum: My tone is a little extreme today I'm finding...i was writing elsewhere and got a bit emotional and it's carried over to this post. I'm afraid someone might take my de>

Edited by sono (10/08/09 03:54 AM)
Edit Reason: edit explanation in post

#305602 - 10/08/09 05:34 AM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: sono]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I disagree guys. No I don't think he should be around them. Not in the least. But I also know that the church may know more than us about this guy, they have details we don't have, and if anything happens it's not you or I that is to blame. It will be them.

I hate shrugging it off like that, but it's true. Somethings are just out of our reach.

#305614 - 10/08/09 11:39 AM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: sono]
myboyhoodfears Offline

sono
i think you were right the first time...its nuts...while we may not know all the facts...i doubt that will change my mind any, his conviction is enough,..he sodomized an 11 year old boy...

and he clearly hasnt been reformed since he has to avoid situations where he might be "tempted" and "to seek counsel when he's having "emotional problems ... so it doesn't turn into something that it has in the past." hes only trying to postpone the inevidable.

is it likely his position as an ordained minister and music directer in this church one where he will not be "tempted?"

i highly doubt it.

the broader social implications here are also troubling.

#305629 - 10/08/09 02:30 PM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: myboyhoodfears]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
That is so fucking unbelievable!! I never thought in a million years that they'd have those people ordained in the most unlikely of places! Los Angeles or San Francisco maybe but Kentucky - a gay priest? Ehhhh... They're either pulling one hell of a publicity stunt or they're trying to set an image to be the next patron saints of pedophile forgiveness. I highly doubt the parishioners of that church will feel comfortable leaving their children alone with this dood (not that anybody should be given this trust). But this entire scenario brings up an interesting topic. Would you rather trust a wolf in sheep's clothing or contain a wolf branded with a scarlet letter on a very short leash? Considering this guy's past, I doubt the wonderful, liberal people of Kentucky will welcome this dood. It's so easy to assume that just because you're a priest, you're this pure, chaste saint without any flaws or imperfection. They are nothing but human and capable of great things, as well as evil deeds. But if this church can welcome one of the gays, well I guess anything's possible in they hood or they usin' some of them thar moonshine instead of them thar wine. Those other priests probably have some skeletons in their closets too like collect Smurfs stamps or dress in women's lingerie... Ten to one this guy won't last 3 months.

ttfn,
Jay

#305637 - 10/08/09 03:02 PM Re: church ordains sex offender [Re: myboyhoodfears]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Quote:
believes firmly in the "redemptive power of Jesus Christ,"

can't wait to see the arguments from right wingers about that......LOL

all i can say, is: at least in this situation, you know where the target is.

my experience as someone who works full time as an employee for an institutional church, is that insurance companies now refuse coverage for institutions who do provide formal training resulting in certification for all its volunteers and employees who come in contact with minors.

i myself am actually certified in wisconsin, minnestota and pennsylvania, three states where i have worked since the catholic church priest scandal exploded in the early years of this century.

regarding the not so subtle put downs of the good folk of kentucky, i am a bit abashed that we have stereotyped an entire state of people in such a poor manner. actually, kentucky is the home of the gethsemane monastery where i spent a year a half of my life. while i was there i was privileged to encounter a group of people who are very active in seeking justice and retribution from the archdiocese for the perpetrating activities of its priests.

the types of scenarios depicted in this particular article are nothing new. the RC's have been switching perps from diocese to diocese, from parish to parish for decades. but then again, none of this is new to me. i've been in recovery for 36 years, and i've seen it all. i'm past the initial shock value of such stories. it's nothing new, and it's not going away. we can't control it, but we can be here for the victims who fall prey to it.

all the best,

ron

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.