Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (myrlin), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64205 Topics
448048 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#304764 - 09/30/09 05:26 PM More great books for male survivors
mariposaman Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Mariposa Men's Wellness Institute

If any of the MS members want to view a fairly comprehensive list of books that are beneficial for male sexual abuse survivors, I would encourage you to look at my nonprofit website (listed above), which has, on the Bibliography page, a long list of books on the subject [under Child Sexual Abuse and Recovery]. I rarely list a book which I haven't read myself, so that I personally know the book is helpful.

I might add that I'm reading one right now that my brother, who is coming to terms with the deeper levels of our familial incest, suggested: Healing From Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life, by Jasmin Lee Cori. Ms. Cori is a survivor herself and she brings a fairly straightforward and no-nonsense approach to talking about survivor issues. And unlike some guides which are solely focused on either only women or only men, this one is a more general approach that works well for both genders.

As for the post from JR last April (I've personally only just last week joined the forum), Victims No Longer is a wonderful book. I've had the opportunity to speak with Mike Lew (via phone, in my professional capacity) and can say without a doubt that he's a sensitive man who is dedicated to the care and progressive growth of male survivors. That book is focused on men's issues and I refer back to it on a regular basis, even though I read it more than 10 years ago. And I constantly recommend it to other survivors. Mike talks about issues that are specific to the male experience of sexual abuse that women don't often experience (esp. the issue of how men 'aren't supposed to be victims' in American society and how we pay a social penalty when we open talk about our experience with victimization and it's impact on our lives). His discussion about how sexual trauma impacts our view of our own sexuality and our view of our own body is quite powerful for me. I've spent of lifetime of being dissociated from my body, in the past probably 98% of the time, now, after more than 25 years of therapy, maybe 70% of the time, and his reassurances that progress can be made keeps me 'on track' in my healing. I can't recommend that book enough; it's like a 'Bible' for me.

Donald

He is playing masculine, she is playing feminine... He is playing the kind of man that she thinks the kind of woman she is playing ought to admire. She is playing the kind of woman that he thinks the kind of man he is ought to desire.

- Betty & Theodore Rosak

#304797 - 09/30/09 10:50 PM Re: More great books for male survivors [Re: mariposaman]
Mike1968 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Mike Lew's Victims No Longer is the best I have found

Thanks for the link to your non-profit, I'll go check it out

#304972 - 10/02/09 12:31 PM Re: More great books for male survivors [Re: Mike1968]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Donald,

"Victims No Longer" is definitely a great book that is really helping me. I am glad I asked about it this April. It is like a Bible to me too.

J.R.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.