Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
2 registered (forgive777, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
437995 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#304675 - 09/29/09 07:07 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: JustScott]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca

Roman P. Did the crime by his own admission so he should be brought back to the U.S, to face his own behavior. and since he choose to run all those years ago any plea agreement should not be honored. He should be require to serve the time that is normally issued to those whom commit statory rape and registered as a sex offender.
As for the so called hollylywood elite. From what came out with Mackenzie Phillips last wek. they think that they are not subject to same laws as everybody else. Maybe this case as with O.J.'s being sent to jail they will learn that it is not so.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#304677 - 09/29/09 07:52 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: michael banks]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
As far as I'm concerned, all these actors are certainly misjudging the general mood and let their careers suffer for it, The Iraq War this certainly ain't.

The celeb support might compare with Michael Jackson but the similarity finishes there, Jacko was from the country, stayed right where he was and bought his way out of things, but being the biggest 1980s music star on the planet, didn't matter where he went, you knew it was him so fleeing was pointless.

Had Polanski, a foreigner committing a crime on US soil, done the time at the time, he simply wouldn't be the lightning rod he is now, even if he would still be known as a sex offender as well as a good director.

#304684 - 09/29/09 09:25 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Bewlayb1 Offline

Loc: NYC
I feel conflicted not about whether he should be brought to justice, but about Roman Polanski himself. Celebrities should be given no special treatment. As far as I know, he's never denied that the incident occurred. And, he happens to be my favorite director of all time. "Repulsion" struck so close to home when I saw it in high school, my sanity rotting away, my disturbing fantasies overwhelming my sense of reality. "Chinatown" is the most realistic, gut-wreching depiction of incest I've seen on film. "Rosemary's Baby" is, in my opinion, the most harrowing and effective horror movie ever made.

No doubt, his childhood as a Jew in Nazi occupied Poland gave him a uniquely dark, compelling vision of the world. It also likely left him with a lot of damage. I view what happened as an unforgivable slip. It's sad that such an insightful genius failed to control his demons. Thirteen is so young. Her life had to have been altered forever. I can't even fathom how an artist whose work I esteem so greatly could have done something this horrific.

I agree that he should have served his time thirty years ago. As much as I want to, I can't hate him. I can't help but pity him, knowing his childhood, and, though it's irrelevant, knowing his talent. Nonetheless, when a sex offender is allowed to flout the laws for the whole world to see, it's a blow to victims of abuse everywhere. He needs to face the music. The scars of such an assault never go away.

#304695 - 09/29/09 11:51 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: jls]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
jls,

Good question. I think people in general need to have their consciousness raised regarding child abuse. It seems to be an issue that has to do with equal rights. Maybe what is needed is more than an advocacy group. Maybe there needs to be an equal rights movement for children, who are a voiceless and powerless large population of citizens. Since children can't march themselves, it is up to adults to empower children with knowledge of their own rights. We need to educate them and make them aware of what constitutes wrong/criminal behavior on the part of an adult and that they have the right, power, and ability to speak up to another adult when one adult has done something that they know is wrong.

In order for this to happen our collective consciousness has to be raised enough to be able to view adult rape and child/adolescent rape as equal crimes. This takes power away from adults, and since adults are the ones in power it isn't likely that this will happen. I hate to use this parallel, because it's comparing human life to animal life, but consider organizations like Greenpeace and PETA who raise awareness regarding mistreatment of animals (who are another completely helpless population of living beings); when its convenient for us we'll listen to these organizations, but most of the time it isn't convenient, and since we're in power we get to choose where and when animals have rights (e.g. pets have rights, but chickens and cows don't). We know that child/adolescent/teenager rape is a crime, but is it convenient for us to investigate and enforce this law every time it happens? Certainly some people are put in jail for being child molesters, but what percentage of people who've raped underaged persons are actually in jail? Not even close to 1%. Sadly, it's like the title of Al Gore's documentary about global warning, it seems to be an inconvenient truth that so many children, adolescents, and teenagers are sexually abused.

We, as a society, need to become self-policing, hold each other accountable for our actions towards children, speak up when someone does something wrong to a child, and to basically stick up for any child that needs a helping hand and voice on their side.

Celebrities always have a way of bringing certain issues to the forefront of society's consciousness. They are like role models or examples that society seems to learn from watching. Unfortunately, how they are treated by law enforcement speaks volumes to the rest of society. Remember when Bill Clinton cheated on his wife back in the 90's? This sent a message to the rest of the world that this kind of behavior is okay simply because Bill Clinton did it. We learn from the media and celebrities. Whether we want to admit it or not they impact all of our lives. That's why I think someone should be speaking up for children and us survivors at these times, that way society would be sent the message that someone cares about crimes against the helpless.

Peace,

Rocco

Edited by Casmir213 (09/30/09 08:45 PM)

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#304713 - 09/30/09 08:46 AM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: christianfather]
jls Offline

"rape-rape", or whatever you want to call it, doesn't do justice to addressing the specifics of Polanski's crime, which was getting a child drunk, drugging her after she said no to him, and then having sex with her against her will in this altered state. Also, he raped her not just vaginally but anally as well, which speaks to a level of violence within the man. Perhaps as someone who as an adolescent was abused while under the influence I am looking at this case too subjectively but after some reflection I don't think so. Looking at it objectively, an adult providing drugs and alcohol to a kid is criminal in itself, nevermind that his intention for doing so was to cause further harm. Like I said before I hope he gets the sentence that he deserves. JS

#304745 - 09/30/09 02:19 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: jls]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
ANY Non concentual Sex is rape . There are not graduated levels of rape. It is all the same . He has already been found Guilty . He left the US to avoid paying for his crime. Send him back to the USA to face his crime. I believe that he should be also charged with international flight to avoid prosicution. Then deport him back to his place of birth. POLAND

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#304750 - 09/30/09 02:50 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: Casmir213]
TGIK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY,NY 10011
Rocco,

Great response. Take it from someone who tried to get into the system, or away from my abusers. First in foremost children will never have equal rights. I was told that until I was 18, I had no rights. The system never wants to break a family apart if it doesn't need to. What draws attention and what doesn't differs. Adults who watched over us lie, deny or blame the children (happened to me a lot). While certain things raise flags quicker now, as I suspect CSA might, it still is going to depend on so many other things, that caring for each and every child in the best way, is near impossible. Remember, when someone above us denies it when we are children, then that is the truth. Not the child's experience.

#304756 - 09/30/09 04:12 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: TGIK]
Matt0487 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Talent and artistry do not take away responsibility. Mr. Polanski did something terrible. He is a great director. His talent will still be there after he gets therapy and faces the music. The girl will face our pain, however for the rest of her life. The dark hole of sadness and the feeling of "something's wrong." Talent does not change this. Those of us who have been to WoR and through therapy know that there is light and joy, but have also been through hell. Artistry and poetry doesn't change the fact that it is a hard road. Mr. Polanski needs to face the music. Hollywood and America should rally behind recovery and responsibility.

Matt
WoR Alumni Kempenfelt 2009
Advanced WoR Alumni Alta 2009

#304763 - 09/30/09 05:15 PM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: JustScott]
depressed1 Offline

Loc: Pa.
i was reading an ardicle the other day about the details of his sex acts with that 13 year old girl at the time. he had intercourse, oral sex, and anel sex with her. what a sick f**k.
he should spend the rest of his life behind bars. inmates dont take kindly to people like that. he woulnt last a month unless they put him in solitare. but even then he could be had.
sorry, just my take on this story. stuff like this really pisses me off. Have a good day!

#304850 - 10/01/09 10:20 AM Re: Roman Polanski [Re: depressed1]
JohnF Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TX
Susan Estrich, who I almost never agree with but always read brought up a brilliant point.

If it were Father Polanski, would Hollywood unite behind him?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.