Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (CafeMan, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443150 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#304449 - 09/27/09 10:25 PM Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested
Whatever Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure how to respond to the following article. It gets me so freaking mad. The best part, people are actually SUPPORTING him. Hell, France has even condemned his arrest. Yeah it is totally fine to rape someone. As long as they are only 13 and drugged so they can't protect themselves. Awesome! Hope he gets shanked in prison. BTW he drugged the 13 year old girl and then raped her (just want to make that very clear because many people online seem to not give a shit about that). I suppose that makes it ok.

OMG I am mad. Breathe. Calm down.

Have a nice day!

The article.....
=======================
Polanski arrested in Switzerland on old U.S. warrant

Updated Sun. Sep. 27 2009 8:03 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Swiss police took director Roman Polanski into custody late Saturday on a 30-year-old U.S. arrest warrant for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.

Polanski had travelled from his home in France to Switzerland to receive an honorary award at the Zurich Film Festival when he was held at the airport, festival officials said in a statement.

The Swiss Justice Ministry released a statement Sunday, saying the U.S. had been seeking Polanski's arrest in various countries since 2005.

"There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming," ministry spokesperson Guido Balmer told The Associated Press. "That's why he was taken into custody."

According to Balmer, American authorities will have to issue a formal extradition request if they want Polanski returned to U.S. soil.

The director's French lawyer, Georges Kiejman, told France-Inter radio that it is "too early to know" if Polanski will face extradition.

"The proceedings must take their course," Kiejman said. "For now we are trying to have the arrest warrant lifted in Zurich."

It is still unclear why Polanski was arrested now, given that he regularly travels to Switzerland.

According to Balmer, the arrest of someone facing an international warrant is "automatic when you know when and at what time the individual is coming."

Balmer denied that Switzerland was trying to appease U.S. officials, with whom Swiss authorities recently disagreed over tax evasion issues and concerns about Americans hiding money in Swiss bank UBS AG.

"There is no link with any other issues in question," Balmer said.

France's culture minister said Sunday that he was "dumbfounded" by the arrest.

Frederic Mitterrand said he "strongly regrets that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them."

According to a statement released by the culture ministry, Mitterrand is in contact with French President Nicolas Sarkozy, "who is following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved."

Polanski has lived in France since 1978, when he fled the United States after pleading guilty the year before to unlawful sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl.

The director, now 76, has asked a U.S. appeals court in California to overturn another judge's refusal to throw out the case. Polanski has levelled allegations of misconduct at the original judge in the case, who is now deceased, saying he reneged on a previously arranged plea bargain.

Polanski was accused of raping the teenager during a photo shoot in 1977 at the home of Jack Nicholson, while the actor was away. The girl testified that the director gave her champagne and part of a Quaalude pill and proceeded to have intercourse with her despite her protests.

Polanski pled guilty to one of six charges, unlawful sexual intercourse. He was sent to prison for 42 days of evaluation.

Defence and prosecution lawyers were satisfied with the 42-day sentence. However, the judge tried to overturn the plea bargain, which would have meant more prison time and eventual deportation for the director, who chose instead to flee to France.

The victim, who identified herself publicly many years ago, has supported Polanski's attempts to have the case dismissed.

Samantha Geimer, now 45, has said she would like to put the ordeal behind her. She previously sued Polanski for an undisclosed sum.

Despite the director's arrest, the film festival announced that it will go ahead with a planned retrospective of his work.

Polanski was born in France, but as a child moved to Poland. He escaped Krakow's Jewish ghetto as a child, but his mother died at Auschwitz.

He began his career in Poland, earning an Oscar nomination for best foreign-language film in 1964 for his movie "Knife in the Water."

His career in the U.S. began in 1968, when he directed "Rosemary's Baby." However, his Hollywood fairytale was cut short with the gruesome murder of his actress wife, Sharon Tate, in 1969 at the hands of followers of Charles Manson. Tate was eight months pregnant when she was killed.

Polanski also directed the classic film, "Chinatown," in 1974, and received a directing Oscar in absentia for his 2002 film, "The Pianist."

He is married to French actress Emanuelle Seigner, with whom he has two children.

The French Foreign Ministry said in a statement Sunday that it has directed the French ambassador to Switzerland to help arrange a consular visit for Polanski as soon as possible.

According to the statement, Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has told Swiss counterpart Micheline Calmy-Rey he hopes "Polanski's rights (will) be fully respected and that the case would quickly result in a favourable outcome."

CTV film critic Richard Crouse said the film community is shocked by Polanski's arrest, but it likely won't damage his career.

"It's a real case of judge the art, not the artist," he told CTV News Channel on Sunday.

"His filmmaking peers see him as an extremely talented but troubled man who was still doing good work."

Crouse explained that Polanski has had a hard life filled with setbacks, but his career has survived through it. The director survived the holocaust as a child, but his mother was murdered in the Auschwitz prison camp. His wife, actress Sharon Tate, and their unborn child were murdered by followers of Charles Manson in a random attack in 1969.

Then in 1977, he pleaded guilty to sex with the 13-year-old girl and then left the country.

"Maybe if he's extradited, finally we'll be able to put this to rest once and for all," said Crouse.

With files from the Associated Press

Edited by Whatever (09/27/09 10:27 PM)

#304452 - 09/27/09 10:32 PM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: Whatever]
Whatever Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sorry, I guess my questions for this are... Why do people seem to take this guy's side? OK I am a younger guy and am not very familiar with him. Did he do something really great (other than raping children) that makes everyone like him?

Why are people protecting him?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal note: My own mother does not believe that my dad abused me. She says I never told so it didn't happen. THIS ARTICLE IS A PRIME EXAMPLE of why I never told. Because nothing would happen anyway. Nobody cares. Meh... whatever (hey now you know how I picked my name xD).

#304455 - 09/27/09 11:00 PM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: Whatever]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Not only has this guy's escaping to France and his subsequent canonization and sheltering there allowed him to avoid serving time; his victim is so tired of enduring a constant stream of invasive publicity and getting NO justice out of the deal that she's lost faith in the court system. There's a good possibility she wouldn't even show up if for some reason she was asked to make a statement.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#304484 - 09/28/09 09:28 AM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: melliferal]
myboyhoodfears Offline

i guess the reason he gets support is the same reason michael jackson got support...people are neurotic when it comes to celeberties...they are heros and loved by millions....and so people will run to thier defence because they worship celeberties...they will forgive the most vile crimes even in some cases hand thier own kids over in sacrafice to thier Gods...i hope justice gets served and not end up as another example of a celeberty who gets special treatment because they are above the law....and shame on those pathetic sycophants who support this child rapist.

Edited by myboyhoodfears (09/28/09 12:17 PM)

#304486 - 09/28/09 09:36 AM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: Whatever]
Whatever Offline
MaleSurvivor

UPDATE:

PARIS, France (CNN) -- French authorities expressed solidarity with Roman Polanski's family Monday after authorities arrested the filmmaker on a 1970s sexual-offense charge involving a 13-year-old girl.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said he hoped authorities would respect Polanski's rights "and that the affair (will) come to a favorable resolution," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The French culture and communications minister, Frederic Mitterrand, said he "learned with astonishment" of Polanski's arrest. He expressed solidarity with Polanski's family and said "he wants to remind everyone that Roman Polanski benefits from great general esteem" and has "exceptional artistic creation and human qualities."

Investigators in the United States say Polanski drugged and raped a 13-year-old girl in the 1970s. Polanski pleaded guilty in 1977 to having unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, but he fled the United States before he could be sentenced and settled in France.

... Polanski was accused of plying the then-teenage girl, Samantha Geimer, with champagne and a sliver of a Quaalude tablet and performing various sex acts, including intercourse, with her during a photo shoot at actor Jack Nicholson's house. He was 43 at the time.

Nicholson was not at home, but his girlfriend at the time, actress Anjelica Huston, was there. According to a probation report contained in the filing, Huston described the teen as "sullen."

"She appeared to be one of those kind of little chicks between -- could be any age up to 25. She did not look like a 13-year-old scared little thing," Huston said.

She said Polanski did not strike her as the type of man who would force himself on a young girl.

"I don't think he's a bad man," she said in the report. "I think he's an unhappy man."

#304487 - 09/28/09 09:40 AM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: Whatever]
Whatever Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well that isn't the entire article, I pasted a few parts of it. You can see the whole version @ cnn if you want.

So France says they stand behind the rapist because he has "exceptional artistic creation and human qualities."

Hmmm.... So that means if you can do something, anything artistic, and maybe donate $5 to a charity, you are a French god immune to justice.

I think this bugs me so much because I replace the words "roman polanski" with "dad"... It reminds me of how cruel this world is.

#304517 - 09/28/09 12:27 PM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: Whatever]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Quote:
Polanski was accused of plying the then-teenage girl, Samantha Geimer, with champagne and a sliver of a Quaalude tablet and performing various sex acts, including intercourse, with her during a photo shoot at actor Jack Nicholson's house. He was 43 at the time.

its interesting how this article minimizes what he actually did to her....he not only had intercourse with her, he also sodomized her and had her perform oral sex.....he gave her a half of a qualude, which is a far cry from a "sliver"...and she said no, and faught back,....it is so typical of certain media outlets to cover up and dilute the actual events....and then they put Hustons comments in, which almost implies it was the girls fault for looking to old.

how infuriating

Edited by myboyhoodfears (09/28/09 12:37 PM)

#305437 - 10/06/09 06:46 PM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: myboyhoodfears]
Piglet Offline

Whatever, Polanski directed/produced some films that are regarded highly by critics. Back in the 60's, his pregnant wife, a beautiful film star, was murdered by Charles Manson's "family". I believe that last is what gives him a free pass in the minds of some people.

Celebrity worship baffles me.

#305612 - 10/08/09 11:33 AM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: Piglet]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Daily Mail UK

Meet a member of his French fan club...

#305728 - 10/09/09 03:34 AM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

somebody told me something about this being too old and doing no more harm. she is very very in love wid this guy's work

right, go ask the woman if she thinks this is doing no more harm, stupid *$$%&

i hate how some ppl who havent gone tru this dont understand anything

#305736 - 10/09/09 08:16 AM Re: Roman Polanski FINALLY arrested [Re: ComicBookGuy]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Quote:
Meet a member of his French fan club...

why am i not at all surprized?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.