Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
1 registered (Hopein14), 20 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63171 Topics
441739 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#304463 - 09/28/09 12:34 AM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: OKIE MIKE]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

This is about CHEMICAL castration yes?? Not physical removal of the testicles.

If it were about physical removal, I'd say it's a complete waste of time. Ever seen a male animal who was castrated too late? They're still horny as hell and can still perform. Humans are no different. I've read numerous articles on it and many men who have been physically castrated for one reason or another are still able to get an erection and have sex.

BUT this is about CHEMICAL castration. IE chemicals keep him from being able to get an erection... so as long as he's taking his drugs he can't perform.... so unless this is regularly monitored or administered by a doctor on a regular basis, the person can just not take the meds.

Either way, it is a waste of time, as the problem is not about his ability to have sex. It's about his desire to force that sex on a child. I talked online to a fellow once he shared that he and his sister were sexually abused by a man who had NO testicles. The issue wasn't sex and getting off. It was about his power and control over those kids.

Saying castrate all pedo's really is no different then saying take away of violent video games/music/movies and people won't kill each other any more........... The nuts ain't the problem just like violent entertainment isn't the problem. If the entertainment choice was the problem they why have people been killing each other long before TV/games etc came along???

There are deeper issues that drive people. This is just another example of people pointing the blame somewhere rather than dealing with those deeper issues.

#304466 - 09/28/09 01:21 AM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: JustScott]
myboyhoodfears Offline

nobody wants to deal with the core social issues....so we are left with these tactics...i see it this way....if you decide to committ these crimes you now own and accept the consiqences...no matter how harsh....because no one is beating anyone over the head to molest children....its completely volitional, with prior knowledge of the wrongfullness of the acts and the possible consiquences...and so they deserve whatever sentence is handed to them....to bad, so sad.....plus it makes a statement to abusers that society will not tolerate this highly offensive behavior,...and it doesnt matter if this law actually does much to address the broader social issues,..so what...there are other laws that can deal with social issues...this isnt a "solve all CSA issues with one law" kinda world.

#304483 - 09/28/09 09:22 AM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: myboyhoodfears]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Good idea. Anyone accused of pedophaelia or hebephaelia should be stripped of their human/natural right of reproduction.

And I hope like hell YOU get accused of it, too. Then YOU will be stripped of the same right. Then what? Complain about how you were WRONGFULLY prosecuted? But....but.....if YOU are wrongfully accused, are you the only one?

I recall this very well as I have been accused of it, though never formally. I was investigated once, maybe twice, and every time it turned out it never happened. But I also know of others that have been wrongfully prosecuted.

Just because you were hurt doesn't mean that everyone accused of hurting others actually did it. No one has the right to take such an action.

And for anyone to say it's right to punish everyone convicted without concern for IF they really did it or not, is acting out of maliciousness, not true justice.

Why don't we bash them in the head with a hammer instead? No, no. Not the head, their nuts and dick! Let's beat on their nuts and dick with a hammer until they are bloody and passed out from the pain! That's a good idea! And then if it turns out they really didn't do it, what then? What do you suggest we do then? Apologize? If so, then you have no right to pursue your perps as an apology is sufficient.

Perhaps you don't see the logic here. Consider that maybe you should only do to others what you would expect to be done to you in the same situation. Let's accuse you of such a horrendous crime, and then see how accepting you are of you getting chemically castrated. It's fine and just, IF you did it. But what if you didn't? How fine and just is that?

#304490 - 09/28/09 09:48 AM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: LilacLouie]
JohnF Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TX
If the goal is vengence, this law will work just fine. If the goal if prevention of recidivism, its a waste of time and money. It merely removes one method from the menu of molestation and abuse.

#304496 - 09/28/09 10:07 AM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: king tut]
jls Offline

You put it best when you said that abuse isn't about sex, it is about power. I'm also of the opinion that deterrents don't work with most crimes, excluding ones with a direct objective, like murdering for money or corporate crime, since the majority of violent offenders, sex offenders or not, are motivated by something inside themselves rather than an external goal, if this makes any sense. Finally there is the aspect of accepting accountabilty, which here in Canada is working quite well. We have something called "Circles of Accountability" for sex offenders where they meet regularly as part of their parole conditions to talk about their feelings and urges to to re-offend, which works surprisingly well with concern to the rate of recidivism. Anyways I am in no way excusing sex offender's behaviour or am I making an argument to let them off the hook. On the contrary, for me it is about healing and I can't say that I deserve it more than anyone else, despite what they've done, providing that they take into account what they've done to their victims first and foremmost since accountability is at the centre of what I'm arguing for. Just my thoughts. JS

#304506 - 09/28/09 11:15 AM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: jls]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
If I may, I'd like to reframe the debate which is starting to go a bit all over the place.

Simple solutions to complex problems don't work

"Feel good" solutions for social problems which have no basis in research or science are mostly for political consideration and it is a waste of time to talk about civil liberties or "what if (you convicted the wrong guy)". While there is room for lively debate, unless the debate is focused on evidenced based research, you are just recycling OPINION.

For example, many probation and parole offices have been, for the past few years, forbidding convicted sex offenders from taking their children out on Halloween or answering the door for trick or treaters. If there is no non-offending partner to dispense the candy, they must darken the house and in some cases, post a sign that says "No Candy Here" or even "Stay Away- Registered Sex Offender Lives Here."

"Common sense" may say this is a good policy. However, when researchers looked at a decade or more of dates of reported sex crimes, October 31 was no more (and in many cases LESS) likely to find children being sexually abused on that particular date.

Classic case of a "feel good" policy that seems to have a good intent yet is based on nothing but someone's opinion.

I can go on and on and you can go back and forth here with opinions on castration, neighborhood notification, residency restrictions, etc. but bear in mind they are just opinions unless they have been thoroughly examined to determine effectiveness and hopefully are not counterproductive to the goal. (Check out the wisdom of parking dozens of sex offenders in Dade Co. FL under the Tuttle Bridge Causeway because the entire county is off limits to REGISTERED sex offenders, or the logic of making them sleep in cars at truck stops in Iowa because the entire state is restricted. Just ask a parole officer if his/her job is any easier keeping track of them or when they go missing with these kinds of policies.

Politicians can't be concerned about civil liberties for sex offenders and the trend has been for some time to be tougher than your opponent in the next election. Doesn't matter if the law is effective or not. If it makes people feel good or feel safer with no basis in reality, doesn't make a difference.

Opinions are fine, if you are not going to hassle people who don't need to be hassled, particularly if it becomes counterproductive.

In my OPINION, the Phillies are the best team in baseball. Don't confuse me with statistics and if they lose the playoffs or series, it may not change my beliefs anyway. ;-)

#304527 - 09/28/09 02:20 PM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: OKIE MIKE]
WinningVictim Offline

I disagree with this law entirely!

#304539 - 09/28/09 04:37 PM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: WinningVictim]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
So Ken, for a little clarity from your post, are you saying you think the move was politically driven for public opinion but with no real basis in effective strategy?

Edited by king tut (09/28/09 04:41 PM)
Edit Reason: edited out the obvious

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#304546 - 09/28/09 06:14 PM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: king tut]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I read a book titled: Conversations With a Pedophile, by Amy Carter.

In that book, the pedophile participated in a voluntary trial program in prison in which they took the drug which chemically castrates them. It didn't have a permanent effect. The dose had to be taken weekly (if I remember correctly).

But that pedophile who was very intelligent and had no reason to lie, said that the drug very strongly limited his sexual attraction to children. I assume they tested it with pictures. He said he wanted to take it when he was released from prison. However the laws of the state of Texas wouldn't allow him to take it.

He had been guilty of abusing many boy scouts.

Allen

pufferfish

#304582 - 09/28/09 10:35 PM Re: Poland passes law to castrate pedophiles [Re: LilacLouie]
myboyhoodfears Offline

LL...the law only affects "convicted" criminals...not people who are accused but have not yet been proved guilty and convicted, thats why we have court systems...castrating the accused would be unreasonable right?

if castration is wrong because its vengeful then any sentence is wrong because even jail is vengeful...if a criminal murders someone and he gets life in prison instead of death...why is death vengeful but life in prison isnt?...nonsence, its all vengence...the only difference is the severity...which is a reflection of social views of the specific crime in question....some crimes are highly offensive, sexual abuse is one such crime and the severe sentencing is a reflection of that....get over it.

Edited by myboyhoodfears (09/28/09 10:47 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.