Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
8 registered (johnb11, I Want 2 Thrive, blockade, Jwmcd2, 3 invisible), 68 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62513 Topics
438100 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303930 - 09/24/09 01:19 AM Joining the Military
jls Offline

As a teenager, after the abuse occured I joined the military at age 17. I didn't know it at the time but I realize now it was part of taking the power back, to being in charge of myself and excerising the discipline necesaary to protect myself. I suppose not suprisingly, while in the field, sleeping with a semi-automatic weapon cradled in my arms was remarkably comforting. I think also being in a fraternity of other guys my age who would literally die to protect one another in life threatening situations was also important to me.

#303934 - 09/24/09 01:26 AM Re: Joining the Military [Re: jls]
Charlie24 Offline

Well from the bottom of my heart thank you jls.

Thanks most importantly for Freedom. For safety and security in our country, for keeping me safe at night.

Thank you.

Charlie.

#303940 - 09/24/09 01:39 AM Re: Joining the Military [Re: Charlie24]
jls Offline

Hi Charlie. Thank you so much for your supportive words but I feel they should go to those who are currently serving since I am I am no longer enlisted and did not see any action during my time in the forces. I am also Canadian so I did not serve in the US military. However, Canada's troops are serving alongside the US and coalition forces in Afganistan. They have suffered many losses there during the last 8 years so despite what I think of the war my heart goes out to those soldiers and their families. It is a great sacrifice to make for so little in return. JS

#303944 - 09/24/09 01:56 AM Re: Joining the Military [Re: jls]
Happy Birthday michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
jls,

At the age of 17 just before I graduated from high school my father had it set up for me to join the army. And after boot camp I would have been stationed in my hometown. But i felt compelled to join the Marine Corps but had to get my parents permission. My father thought I was crazy for wanting to do that. but I insisted and he agreed to allow me to join. Yea I was rebellious. But also somehow know that i needed to make my own chooses whether they be right or wrong.
It was the first step in breaking away and starting to grow up. For the most part it was a totally positive experience for me. Including the fact that I was discharged for my drug use. first time in my life that i had to pay for the consequences of my own behavior. Before that time my father always manage to help rescue me.
I really enjoyed the discipline because I had never had it before in my life. and in the Marine Corps in the earlier 80's my platoon slept in an open squad bay almost no privacy but the john's. we did everything together became closer to some of the guys than I was with my own brothers.
30 years later I still love the corps for what they gave me as a young man.

Semper fi

mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#304027 - 09/24/09 05:14 PM Re: Joining the Military [Re: michael banks]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi my fraternal brothers.

My story. Date March 13th 1955. Having sucessfully forged my birth certificate, and had traveled to the Boston Army base for my tests and physical, from where i lived in the country 30 miles away. I had passed the tests and physical. I return to have my "mom" sign the enlistment contract. (She had known absolutly nothing about me doing this). The recruiter had driven me home. She was to sign the contract and i would then be sworn in and on my way to San Antonio, Texas for basic training. Well she tells him that it's only my 16th birthday.
and she would gladly sign them, but Peter just might change his mind and return "home", i told her to sign the goddam papers as i will never change my mind. She refused. The recruiter was pissed to say the least. But i was determined to get away and join the military.
So the recruiter now knows my birthday and age. He asks my "mom" that on my next "legal" birthday if i was still interested in joining the Air Force, that he would start the necessary paperwork. But would she sign them,,,yes she would.
So before the 13th of march in 1956 i had started the necessary paperwork, taken the necessary physical, the necesary tests, passed them all.
So on the 13th of March 1956 I was sworn into the Air Force, and i was immediately on my way to Lackland AFB, Texas for my basic training. but more important for me was i was finally away from further physial, mental, emotional and sexual abuse from all my abusers.
Free at last, free at last, God almighty free at last. (MLK).

"I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunlight, forever into eternity".

Heal well my brothers, heal well.

Litttle Pete & big Pete..but 1 (Irishmoose).

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#304210 - 09/25/09 04:55 PM Re: Joining the Military [Re: petercorbett]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I too served in the USAF for 3 years, until I was discharged for what my perp did. However, I loved every minute of the service. I just wish I could have it back, I was all about the military, that was my life, and then some jerk comes and screws it up on me, yeah, there is quite a bit of anger and hate in me...

But, I was Honor Graduate and Top Graduate in BMT, and was Honor Graduate in my tech training. I was an all around great Airman. I did so much, including Base Honor Guard.

I loved it, and just wish I could have it back..

J.R.

#304215 - 09/25/09 05:59 PM Re: Joining the Military [Re: J.R.]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

i was reading all of your posts here.. it sounds like an interesting choice...

#304219 - 09/25/09 06:32 PM Re: Joining the Military [Re: Daniel_forgotten]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
The Military has a lot of devious people in the ranks . The Military has so much trouble with this. That thay have a term for it. Military Sexual Trauma . It is now a standard part of the mental health treatment at most VA hospitals

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#304229 - 09/25/09 07:56 PM Re: Joining the Military [Re: OKIE MIKE]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

I too joined the military when I was just 17.

I had a hard time with the nakedness.

I left after one sargent took me! It was nearly 3 decades ago.

I was honorably discharged. I told no one. Another perp - shit - another repressed memory

Edited by DJsport (09/25/09 08:05 PM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#304230 - 09/25/09 08:04 PM Re: Joining the Military [Re: DJsport]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
I joined the military just as I turned 19. I got into a little trouble along the way, but overall served my time honorably, and got an honorable discharge. I remember thinking just after signing the enlistment papers, "Oh S#*&, what did I just do?", and then I remember when I was going home after my time was up thinking, "Hey, that wasn't so bad." I can definitely see from how the structure of the military is (from when I was in 20+ years ago) how this can make it more likely for abuse to occur.

Rocco

Edited by Casmir213 (09/25/09 08:18 PM)

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.