Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
4 registered (pattom, Bardo, 2 invisible), 27 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444492 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#303444 - 09/20/09 08:37 PM STOP CHILD ABUSE NOW RALLY 2009 - LONDON, UK
SurviveManc1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know about this...

STEP UP presents
ʻSTOP CHILD ABUSE NOWʼ RALLY 2009
on
Saturday 26th September 2009
1.00pm – 4.30pm

Starting at Temple Place at 1.00pm, the march will wind down Londonʼs famous Strand and will now finish at Parliament Square, at approx 2.00pm, where the 2009 Open Forum Rally will take place!

At approx 4.30pm, the children from STEP UP will be taken to Whitehall to deliver a petition to Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families – Ed Balls - asking the government to: look at the sentencing of all sexual offenders, offer more empathic support of survivors of sexual abuse – including sustained funding for those organisations already working with survivors; and to assist in raising the awareness of the ʻStop Child Abuse Nowʼ campaign.

Research by the NSPCC states that 16% of children aged under 16 experienced sexual abuse during childhood1. Three-quarters (72%) of sexually abused children did not tell anyone about the abuse at the time and only 27% told someone later. Sadly, around a third (31%) had still not told anyone about their experience(s) by early adulthood.

21% of young women and 11% of young men report being sexually abused as a child. This means that overall 15% of the adult population, or 7.7 million adults, have experienced sexual abuse as a child3. But how many more children suffer in silence, well into adulthood? How many sexual offences go under-reported? However, estimates now state that 1 in 4 males and 1 in 3 females will have survived some form of sexual abuse before reaching the age of 18! In the UK, that accounts for almost 21% of the population, in excess of 10,400,000 people in the UK are survivors of sexual abuse.

The ʻStop Child Abuse Nowʼ Rally 2009 has again been organised by STEP UP, a support service for families where children have been sexually abused or raped, whose aim is to provide a safe place for parents to come following the trauma of discovering that their child or children have been abused. Founded by mothersʼ Anne and Shelley, whose daughters had been sexually abused, STEP UP also works hard to raise awareness of sexual abuse and challenge the myths and taboos surrounding abuse. Shelley Daldy commented “collectively we need to make more noise and people need to listen carefully. We canʼt go on pretending that this is someone elseʼs issue. Whether we have children or not, we all have a chance to make a very real difference and stop the silent suffering now”.

Last yearsʼ Rally was heralded as a great success with many survivors, both male and female, taking the mic and standing up to be counted to a packed Trafalgar Square – some speaking out loud for the first time. Handmade banners by many of the groups that were carried through the streets of London became a focal point during the open mic for many well-wishers and passers by. This year is going to be bigger and better! A special ʻStop Child Abuse Nowʼ Rally 2009 website is now live www.stopchildabuse.org.uk containing event details and downloadable and online versions of the petition. The 2009 Rally is supported by: AMSOSA (Adult Male Survivors Of Sexual Abuse), Survivors Manchester, Heal and The Survivors Trust.

ʻSTOP CHILD ABUSE NOWʼ RALLY 2009
Saturday 26th September 2009
1.00pm – 4.30pm
Temple Place to Parliament Square, London
www.stopchildabuse.org.uk

#303468 - 09/20/09 11:02 PM Re: STOP CHILD ABUSE NOW RALLY 2009 - LONDON, UK [Re: SurviveManc1]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Thanks for all of that information, i am going to try to be there!

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#304343 - 09/26/09 07:24 PM Re: STOP CHILD ABUSE NOW RALLY 2009 - LONDON, UK [Re: king tut]
SurviveManc1 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manchester, UK
Lewis,

So lovely to see you today.

Dunc

#304412 - 09/27/09 04:19 PM Re: STOP CHILD ABUSE NOW RALLY 2009 - LONDON, UK [Re: SurviveManc1]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
It was lovely to see you too Dunc!

And it was really nice to meet the other guys that attended (i wont mention names unless you are ok with it).

The attendance this year wasn't as big as i hear it was last year but that didn't impede the impact of the day and i think everybody did a great job, especially when we did "one minute of noise" in parliament square to wake up the politicians. It was a really good day and i met some brilliant guys, and although i didn't realise that purple was the colour of the occassion before attending, during the day i did get my hair sprayed purple courtesy of Steve (AMSOSA)!

There was a really good mix of males and females there, and there were some really powerful speakers i thought, a few being members from this site and so MaleSurvivor got mentioned a few times!

Personally i was unprepared and didn't have a speach (not much of an excuse i know since people who were only walking past and were survivors would stop off to take the microphone and let their voices be heard) so i didn't go up to speak that time, but no regrets, i will make myself speak next year! Next year we are going to try to be back at Trafalgar Square and it will be even bigger and better!

I just want to give thanks to all the organisers and speakers (and passers-by who stood up to be counted), to STEP UP, and all the other groups, including AMSOSA, Survivors Manchester, and Heal and The Survivors Trust.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#304676 - 09/29/09 07:41 PM Re: STOP CHILD ABUSE NOW RALLY 2009 - LONDON, UK [Re: king tut]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: king tut
It was lovely to see you too Dunc!

And it was really nice to meet the other guys that attended (i wont mention names unless you are ok with it).

Actually it was good to meet you both! As a first-timer you just don't have a clue what to expect, and I haven't been down to that section of Parliament Square since the 2000/2001 New Year celebrations, but the welcome and the atmosphere really made the day and I got through it without flaking out, until I got home and slept for 12/13hrs, (how people bringing kids didn't collapse, I'll never know)!

Can't remember what I said when I stood up now, but it's definitely best to get it done earlier in the day or prepare something. Just glad the day was more effective than my less than stellar group meeting earlier that week anyway and it shows it doesn't always have to be a retreat setting where you get to meet lots of fellow survivors. So next year I'll ensure my purple sweatshirt is clean!

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.