Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
4 registered (Greg56, Obi, 2 invisible), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444489 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#302589 - 09/12/09 11:57 AM On the Pledge of Allegiance
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States

What is up with making impressionable students robotically chant to a flag and promoting nationalism? Is it merely an effort to subvert our children into becoming compliant and docile citizens and to glorify government? I mean, isn’t once enough? Why do they want them doing it every day? Besides, we have a law against betraying our country, its called treason, which comes with a possible death penalty. So what’s up with making kids recite this pledge?

I say that the only people who should be expected to collectively recite a pledge everyday are politicians, government officials and/or government employees. They should be forced to recite the “Pledge to Individual Rights” publicly to private citizens.

I pledge allegiance to individual rights
in the United States of America,
and to all private persons
under whom I serve,
one nation, of individuals,
under any Gods or none,
with liberty and justice for each.

smile

#302594 - 09/12/09 01:04 PM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: Hauser]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hauser,

I have a differing opinion, but like yours, it is just that, and opinion. I think every man, woman and child should say the Pledge, and have a strong sense and spirit of Patriotism to one's country, wherever that may be. Reciting the Pledge for me is just one way to express your fidelity to your country, and what it has gone though in time and what values it stands for.

Just a thought! I am not trying to argue or be disrespectful, just to state another point.

J.R.

#303441 - 09/20/09 08:06 PM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: J.R.]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well the thing is, the Pledge has the word "God" in it, so having the children say it every morning will end school violence and reduce teen pregnancy.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#303476 - 09/20/09 11:46 PM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: melliferal]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
yea....and will reinforce the ideal of 'liberty and justice for all'......they should say it at least twice a day, then call me in the morning..... whistle

#303504 - 09/21/09 04:13 AM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: melliferal]
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
Originally Posted By: melliferal
Well the thing is, the Pledge has the word "God" in it, so having the children say it every morning will end school violence and reduce teen pregnancy.

lol
I always wondered when I was young about the "and to the republic part" and thought "does that mean I'm supposed to be a republican?"

#303513 - 09/21/09 08:11 AM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: Jaifian]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

The Republic part has nothing to do with being a Republican. Many Americans have no idea what kind of government we have. Contrary to popular belief, the US is NOT a democracy, it is a Republic. A Republic system of government is based on the Rule of Law as it's governing body, not the concept of "majority rules".

J.R.

#303516 - 09/21/09 09:14 AM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: J.R.]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: J.R.
A Republic system of government is based on the Rule of Law as it's governing body, not the concept of "majority rules".

Of course over the last few decades at least it seems the "majority" have failed to recognize that fact and are interpreting the "Rule of Law" to mean "our view of the meaning of the law." Gotta love politics! wink

#303521 - 09/21/09 09:48 AM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: WalkingSouth]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, that's exactly what is happening. People think that we have a democratic form of government, thanks to the education system not teaching correctly I'm sure, so in turn they start acting like it, trying to shape a new style of government if you will. Many American citizens are sleeping!

J.R.

#303524 - 09/21/09 10:12 AM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: J.R.]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
"And to the Republic, for which it stands.."

Article 4, section 4 of our Constitution states that "The United States shall guarentee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government,..."

This has nothing to do with the Republican party, and obviously says nothing about democracy.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#303526 - 09/21/09 10:17 AM Re: On the Pledge of Allegiance [Re: J.R.]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Hauser
So what’s up with making kids recite this pledge?

The best way to have a child learn is to use repitition - though maybe that's just the father/grandfather in me speaking out. Except the same is true for adults, just kids often pick things up faster. At any rate, I don't know how many places have kids "robotically recite" and how many teach the meaning behind the words as the children learn the pledge. And do I understand we should not be teaching nationalism? I say the pledge, I still get the feelings of pride in my country, honor for its soldiers, and admiration for its citizens. And it started because teachers cared enough to teach me not just the Pledge Of Allegiance, but also what it means.

Maybe time would be better spent trying to educate the adults to the truth between "republic" and "democracy" - the similarities, and actually once again making the country FOR the people, and not just OF the people.

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.