Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
4 registered (susie, 1islandboy, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63188 Topics
441844 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#302027 - 09/07/09 09:06 AM unemployment sux, but....
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I suppose if I have to be unemployed, NOW is when it should be happening; it gives me the freedom and time to work through the stuff that's coming up in therapy. Even my wife has noted that.

I like not going to work, but I hate not being employed.

It's just been long enough. I started week eight yesterday. Two months. My wife mentions bankruptcy...

Can't find work is too much feeling like a failure. Not being able to pay my bills just goes against everything I've thought about myself. It's getting harder to turn off my father's "Not Good Enough" tapes.

Ok- enough whining. Back to the employment boards.

#302028 - 09/07/09 09:29 AM Re: unemployment sux, but.... [Re: MarkK]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
O yea I know the feeling. I am teetering on the edge of unemployment right now. My boss just laid 2 more people off on Friday. That makes 8 in 3 months. It also means that I am most likely next on the chopping box.

#302038 - 09/07/09 11:22 AM Re: unemployment sux, but.... [Re: Riley]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
I hate that situation too, Mark. I've been there a few times in the past. Twice I have filed for unemployment bucks. There's a guy at work circulating an ugly rumor. I hope he is very wrong, since his rumor just makes no sense.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#302041 - 09/07/09 12:07 PM Re: unemployment sux, but.... [Re: FormerTexan]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I've been unemployed since early May myself. Although I wasn't paying any bills I still miss having money to buy whatever I wanted and go where I wanted. It does suck and the bunch of places I've applied to haven't called me back. I don't know what to do. Hopefully something will come along for all of us. Good Luck guys.

#302088 - 09/07/09 08:30 PM Re: unemployment sux, but.... [Re: Clockwise]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

My ex-wife just got laid-off in July from her job as a legal secretary. Now she is drawing $512 every week instead of nearly double that, and her rent is still $1000/month and she has two kids to feed. Another friend just got Social Security disability, the result of a car accident 4 years ago that wasn't his fault. He is getting a whole $1240/month to live on!!! Even I am retired at age 52 on just over half of what I used to earn. Our world is getting to be a tough place these days indeed, just like my old hometown of Detroit was in 1982 when I left there. My dad was another perfect type that I could never impress. What has happened to so many people in this recession isn't your fault Mark.

Look on the bright side: If you have collected 8 weeks of unemployment so far you still have 42 weeks left to find a job, and you might get an extension if the unemployment rate stays high too. If you have a lot of pressing debt you might consider bankruptcy but the new bankruptcy law may take your house if you were an above average earner. How much longer does your first mortgage run? You may be able to keep your house if you can afford the house payments after loosing all of the other debt. If you are going to file bankruptcy you need to have the attorney fees up front. Does your wife work? Could you put the house in her name if she does then dump just your debt?

Right now I have enough equity left in my upscale suburban house to buy a double-wide on 10 acres outright, though it would have to be somewhere well away from Denver. Home sales in the suburb that you live in were up recently, and home values there are starting to recover slightly. If worst comes to worst you could try next Summer to sell your house and basically retire to a much less expensive locale. I know that it is depressing but at least you won't lose everything like so many people have. Or perhaps you should try to sell your house and pay down debt, then buy something like I said with the remaining equity. My ex-wife lives in Idaho Springs, and there are plenty of homes there for half what home prices are where we live.

Let's try to remain focused on what is still possible and what needs to be done to hold on to what you have. If the situation demands it you will need to take steps toward equity preservation perhaps even dipping into retirement savings. I can't say about the job market. King Soopers opened their new store at 136th and Zuni and they had over 1000 applicants for 150 positions. At DIA they recently hired another 300 security screeners, and they got 3000 applicants for the jobs. Lately I see lots of people our age working as waiters or working the counter at gas stations. I sure would have liked to work in my field until I retired too.

Just have to try to make the best of it and try to remain optimistic and level-headed until the situation improves. If the situation demands it you need to be ready to seek alternatives to preserve what capital that you have. You need to be ready to downsize if necessary. Your wife and son need you to be as level-headed as is possible right now. Getting laid off wasn't your fault and I know that the situation is depressing as I have lived it already in Detroit and Cleveland in 1982 and 1990. If the situation demands it you need to be ready to make any move necessary without depression clouding your every move. Don't just sit and wait for everything to collapse around you.

All that we can do is hope at this point. Hope that you can find work soon. Maybe we will see you for lunch again soon!!!

Mark

#302140 - 09/08/09 09:51 AM Re: unemployment sux, but.... [Re: Trucker51]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, MarkK.

I empathize with you regarding not having money. There is accepting the situation and feeling the emotions and then move on. I want to acknowledge and accept the situation with you first as IT does suck as the title of your post states.

I could add my woes but, I will just say I too am struggling with employment issues which started 3 years ago plus working through the csa issues. In the beginning, I was in so much pain emotionally that I fell apart. So, did not deal well with the financially situation.

Anyway, I empathize with you.

Peace,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#302144 - 09/08/09 11:22 AM . [Re: DJsport]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 09:18 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.