Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
arty (46), ava_adore (28), babs (63), bkeithb (49), shylo (34), si (22), universe (33)
Who's Online
4 registered (gettingstronger, sentry, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446606 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#301598 - 09/04/09 08:55 AM Science may erase traumatic memories
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
From NPR this morning... Although the research is on rats, there may be some human implications for reducing traumatic memories.
Ken

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112531962

#301605 - 09/04/09 09:38 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
didi Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Ken!

I read this article in Discover Magazine. It is also about reducing traumatic memories..

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/jul-aug/03-how-much-of-your-memory-is-true

#301616 - 09/04/09 11:05 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: didi]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I posted the abstract and an interpretation of this research under Health Effects and Wellbeing.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=301613#Post301613

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#301883 - 09/06/09 03:13 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: pufferfish]
Charlie24 Offline

I would love to be able to have some of my memories erased. I think it would help with the majority of my problems.

A nice easy quick fix, yeah sign me up, where's the dotted line.

Edited by Charlie24 (09/07/09 11:49 AM)

#301903 - 09/06/09 08:50 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: Charlie24]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
But there is always the potential for abuse. If we can make the abuse as improbable as we possibly can, the better the program.

#301956 - 09/06/09 06:38 PM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: LilacLouie]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Good article, Didi.
Quote:
Six-session treatments with a total of 12 doses of propranolol have shown better results. Collaborating with Harvard psychiatrist Roger Pitman, who was the first to try propranolol for post-traumatic stress, the McGill group has treated about 45 PTSD patients, ranging from soldiers to rape victims. Most had been suffering for years. But after the longer treatment, their symptoms declined by half and stayed that way even six months afterward. They still remember what happened, but it is less disturbing. “They say: ‘I’m not thinking about it as much. It just doesn’t bother me as much anymore,’?” Brunet says. As a group, they are considered to be in remission.

The researchers must still prove that the improvement will last. If it does, it could offer rare hope to millions of people with PTSD, a disorder from which only a third completely recover.

There is some potentially helpful research going on here. Is propranolol the drug that killed Michael Jackson?

#301958 - 09/06/09 06:53 PM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
GeorgeMartin Offline

There is also the potential that if there were a way to erase traumatic memories. Then those in power, such as abusers, can keep doing what they are doing sexually abusing and traumatizing victims as young or as old a victim as they want.....and then just erase the traumatic memories, as if nothing ever happened. They get their "fix" and we as victims of theirs, get our traumatic memories erased. What a scheme they doeth weave to keep doing what they have been doing. My thoughts on the matter.

Not that I like remembering CSA situations in my childhood. But I would think that retaining the memories, are better than erasing them. There is a reason we retain trauma memories..... not sure why, but there is a reason.

#302013 - 09/07/09 02:41 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

No, Jackson's death was caused by propofol, a type of heavy anesthetic apparently used during surgeries.

It seems that from what you quoted that memories are not really erased so much as the fear reaction they cause is greatly lessened. It would be interesting to see a comparison between those who take this treatment to help them and those who have suffered severe abuse, but are able to cope without medication. I wonder if brain activity is in any way similar.

Every day I die again, and again I’m reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you can’t defeat/Neither down nor out/There’s nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#302014 - 09/07/09 02:43 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: GeorgeMartin]
didi Offline

Ken,

Propofol is the drug that killed Michael Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol

Here is an article on Propranolol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol

Take care,

Didi

Edited by didi (09/07/09 02:49 AM)

#302025 - 09/07/09 08:41 AM Re: Science may erase traumatic memories [Re: didi]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the clarification. Hate to think there's a new drug with potential for abuse by people looking for relief from pain of sexual abuse.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.