Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
5 registered (BobdaFarmer61, Dave PNW, Aptrick, pattom, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63569 Topics
444139 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#301943 - 09/06/09 03:23 PM Pittsburgh Group Therapy Starts Soon
phoenix fire Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: pennsylvania
Pittsburgh Action Against Rape (PAAR) group therapy for Male Survivors starts 9/14/09. Call PAAR at 412-431-5665 if interested.

#301945 - 09/06/09 03:54 PM Re: Pittsburgh Group Therapy Starts Soon [Re: phoenix fire]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i guess i 'should' be thrilled, but i can't say that i am. i called this organization to volunteer last summer and was told [with nothing other than the phone call to go on] that since i was a survivor that my ability to make a positive contribution was questionable....... basically they said: 'we'll get back to you'. still waiting for the phone to ring. [i should add that i am a certified sexual assault advocate for dakota county in minnesota, from when i lived there].

i have serious doubts regarding becoming involved in any social institution that sees me, or other victim/survivors without investigation, as red flag material.

call me cynical, but i'll bet there's exchange of currency involved.

how did i guess?

...me at my worst,

ron

#301947 - 09/06/09 03:59 PM Re: Pittsburgh Group Therapy Starts Soon [Re: Sans Logos]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Personally I think the opposite is true. I think Survivors make better counselors and whatnot for this kind of stuff simply because we understand better.

Just my two cents.

And your probably right though, cash probably is involved.

Although maybe this is at least a step in the right direction for your area and maybe things will come to my area soon too!?

#301949 - 09/06/09 04:09 PM Re: Pittsburgh Group Therapy Starts Soon [Re: Sans Logos]
phoenix fire Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: pennsylvania
I know Sans Logos, I have had doubts about the organization too. I went to volunteer traing in the early 90's but they had nothing for me to do.(They only wanted women to work the hotline). They have a feminist bent. But I've been looking for a group here forever. There doesn't appear to be any currency involved. They only have 4 guys so far.

#301953 - 09/06/09 04:53 PM Re: Pittsburgh Group Therapy Starts Soon [Re: phoenix fire]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
phoenix, i'm all for local group support. i guess i'm already pissed off [it's the rejection talking: old abandonment issues rearing their fugly head] because they've pretty much proven to me, from my own dealings with them, that they have not got a clue about what it means to be a survivor; now they're going to assume they know how to supply a 'fix'? i have a hard time getting past the notion i have that they are merely another government agency that stereotypes victim/survivors and wants to 'help us' to adjust [there's that pesky forgiveness crap again...]. i'd love to have local survivor friends that were interested in getting honest about their recovery. i just don't have the time nor energy to be some career track psychology students thesis project.

gawd, i'm cynical.... bleh! blush

ron

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.