Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (don64), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443352 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#301867 - 09/06/09 12:56 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: melliferal]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: melliferal
I like how my thread about why I don't like discussing politics has turned into a political discussion, though. You all just hang out here and be ironic for awhile.

LOL - Irony is the name of the game it seems! No political positioning from this poor country boy!

#301871 - 09/06/09 01:24 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: JustScott]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Scott,

I wish that China would stop supporting the federal governments spending habits and demand repayment. Maybe things in this country and how our government works would have to be changed. What can China do if the US government decides to renege on honoring the debt it owns them. Invade, there is 4000 miles of ocean between us. Not to mention the nuclear stockpile the U.S. government has at it's disposal.
If our economy does down so does the rest of the world's. Sure won't be pretty thing to see that is for sure.

Back to the President visiting a school what is really the big deal. Almost every President has done it at one time or another not like he will discuss anything but what we to do to improve things for the kids in our schools.
Some people want to go to the voucher system where those with money can segregate their children from other less to do children and have the government subsidize them for doing so. Is not that part of why the civil rights movement was launched to end some of the inequalities that existed in our society between the well to do and the less well off.
If you want your children to go to a private school no problem just pay for it out of your pocket. The taxes you pay are for the benefit all children rich or poor not just your children. Shit people who don't even have kids also pay these taxes because it benefits all of society to education all of our children.
Allot of the problem with the education that our children receive is because parents choose not to be a active particant in their childs education. Like they drop off their children at school and that is where their responsilbes ends. No more effort on their part is required in educating their children.
To me it is my responsibility to teach my children morales,self-responsibility,good conduct and what responsibilities we have in relation to our society and the world and not the school they attend. One of the most important to things to me is that my children have proper respect for those people in authority whether they agree with or like that person personally. And to follow all direstions given to them by these people unless it is illegal or against our morales.
And if you are an active particant in your childs life and education you can make sure he learns those things that are important to you.
It is not the responsibility for our government,society or education system to instill or teach these things to them.
Our education system is there to teach them to read,write,count and the sciences' and that is all. Alot of people seem to forget this. My children's parents are here at home and not in Sacramento,Ca or Washington D.C.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#301904 - 09/06/09 08:55 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: michael banks]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: michael banks
Scott,

I wish that China would stop supporting the federal governments spending habits and demand repayment. Maybe things in this country and how our government works would have to be changed. What can China do if the US government decides to renege on honoring the debt it owns them. Invade, there is 4000 miles of ocean between us. Not to mention the nuclear stockpile the U.S. government has at it's disposal.
If our economy does down so does the rest of the world's. Sure won't be pretty thing to see that is for sure.

That can't really happen. While it's true in the most basic sense that the only reason the US dollar is worth what it's worth is because everybody (i.e., other countries) pretends it's worth that much, the thing is that every country is like that. So while some might claim there's a "threat" that somebody somewhere will "stop pretending", the fact is that whatever country tries to do so will only tank their own economy completely, and the rest of the world will be able to remain economically-secure simply by ignoring them.

It would be nice, of course, if there were some hard asset that the exchange rate can be tied to - it worked well enough in the past when countries were economically very small. Used gold or silver or this and that and whatnot. Problem is, a small country like say, Bosnia or something, might be able to switch their economy to gold-backed, if they owned all the gold in the world. There's not enough shiny on this little planet anymore to support the US economy, not to mention the entire world's. Any large country that tries is going to skip "recession" and nosedive all the way back to the 30's.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#302021 - 09/07/09 06:30 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Hauser]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Hauser
What if you don't respect the man that holds the office of the Presidency?

Mel, believe it or not, some people find his policies (not just his, there is plenty of sin to go around with both major parties) just plain evil? Yes, I said evil.

I realize I didn't answer this question. I suppose it's a political question, but given the turn of the thread I suppose I wouldn't exactly ruin anything by answering it.

I'd let Senator John McCain answer that question for me.

A friend and I have sort of a running joke; when discussions with friends turn political, we tend to quip "Why do you hate America?" or "Why do you hate freedom?" It's our little way of satirizing the runaway hyperbole that discussions of national politics tend to feature. We've had all sorts of fun with the recent spate of "Town Hall Meetings", whose purpose is ostensibly to discuss important issues, but in reality are circuses where half of the audience's questions aren't really questions, but are position statements with question marks at the end. Kind of like my friend and I's quips, except meant seriously rather than satire. We've been half-wondering if somebody actually would say someting like "Why does (politician x) hate freedom so much?" as a serious bit of rhetoric and not as a joke.

Well, this old lady comes pretty close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcijeEtf-wA

Okay, so "Why does Obama hate the Constitution?" doesn't have quite the same ring as "Why does Obama hate America", but it would be close enough to win a bet, I think.

But yeah - listen to McCain's answer. That's my answer to Hauser.

I hope I don't get booed for it, the way McCain was.

Why does McCain share my attitude about the president? Well, I would imagine he must have tremendous respect for the office, given that he ran for it. But perhaps it's more than that. McCain is a military brat, like me - born on a military base. Actually, he gets a few more cool points than I do because he was born on a non-CONUS base. But he was undoubtedly raised with some of the same values I was, when it comes to things like how you don't have to agree with whoever the President is to understand that You Respect The President Of The United States.

#302052 - 09/07/09 02:05 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics [Re: JustScott]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys,

I've decided to delete my postings in this thread. Despite whatever thoughts and feelings I have on this topic, I'm an unable to completely keep negative thoughts out of my head having to do with disagreements on these issues. This place of MS is too important to me particularly in terms of the positiveness and compassion that everyone has for one another out of the negative situations that brought us all here. I want nothing whatsoever to pollute this purely positive experience for me.

all the best,

sono

Edited by sono (09/09/09 05:58 AM)

#302066 - 09/07/09 04:07 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: sono]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

#302222 - 09/08/09 08:56 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: melliferal]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Quote from the speech:

"The story of America isn’t about people who quit when things got tough. It’s about people who kept going, who tried harder, who loved their country too much to do anything less than their best. It’s the story of students who sat where you sit 250 years ago, and went on to wage a revolution and found this nation."

Ummmmmmmm, I thought George Washington quit school at age 12.
I thought that Ben Franklin quit school at age 14 to work for his Uncle, making candles.

Then again, there weren't even ANY PUBLIC schools back when they lived! Hello?????????

So..........Mel............THIS is why I wouldn't want my kids to listen to him. He's purposefully lulling us all into believing that Public Schools were ALWAYS here and that our society would cease to exist if we didn't have them. What a bunch of BS! LOL

#302237 - 09/08/09 10:26 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Hauser]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hmmmm....

I've read and reread the quote of the president's speach from your post just above, Alan, and I see nothing in there where he mentions "public schools" let alone the fact that there indeed were public schools 250 years ago.

#302244 - 09/08/09 10:54 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: WalkingSouth]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I'm never quite sure if politics should be in off topic or in the open forum...i feel tension in here, or maybe it is just me...

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#302247 - 09/08/09 11:03 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Hauser
7 “purchase a machine gun is important”

Would you really want to live in a world where only Government and criminals have machine guns?

I love how you think Hauser!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.