Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (aniceguy, sorryson, sentry), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443356 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#302089 - 09/07/09 08:38 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: DJsport]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DJsport
The question above is "why is Shawn a hero?" I think we are all HEROES. Shawn is a hero to me because he went public and answered some deep questions about male sexual abuse.

Yes, that is the thought. I think there really are many heroes on this site. That is my genuine feeling. I don't know everybody here, but I am deeply impressed by the stories of many that I have read.

Shawn was propelled into the limelight through no choice of his own. He has held his composure in this limelight. It's probably not something I could have done.

Specifically, I think he helped out our collective purpose and image. It was clearly stated on the program several times that he was sexually and physically abused. This helps the public awareness of the nature of ongoing child sexual abuse of males.

He suffered a lot, as a lot of you guys here have. I deeply respect you for this. I wish him my blessings as I do for all you guys who have gone through equally bad stuff.

For all you guys ((((heros))))

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#302103 - 09/07/09 10:14 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: pufferfish]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
The link provided on this thread, at least for me, only shows the trailer of the program, but not the program, does it suppose to show the whole program?

I also wish Shawn the best on his journey through life and with his continuing recovery. I hope those who are closest to him continue to provide him with the support he deserves.

I agree that there are many heroes on this site, i have known this for a long time, for proof, look at Michaels (M3) avatar picture! Now that's cool!

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#302107 - 09/07/09 10:35 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: king tut]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I saw the whole program myself. The very first link I posted was just a preview, but I edited it to go to the full program.

#302111 - 09/07/09 10:48 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: JustScott]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks, it's working fine for me now all the way!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#302114 - 09/07/09 11:26 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

In the program Shawn says that he doesn't feel any anger, that he hasn't at any stage felt anger. The interviewer has a good point that anger is very much a real and perhaps necessary stage in the 'letting go' process.

(When i think about my journey, although chronologically i didn't allow myself to feel straight away, when i did allow myself to feel anger that felt like my begining- so in many ways i see the anger stage as the first real stage of recovery, the primary basics of it, which can then get smashed apart or whatever you want to constructively do with it- so his lack of this expression baffles me if he has been working with therapists who traditionally are all about expression, in my opinion)

I have met the anger stage a few times, i mean, recovery is like that, it is a rollercoaster and it is not linear. But it is good, because i've found that processing from the anger stage has been huge for me. Some of my biggest steps have been thanks to allowing myself to feel that anger and then being able to work from it. To be completely truthful to myself and to then direct my energies positively, and very importantly in the right direction.

Unfortunately everything i see in the program, although admittedly we don't see much because Shawn is doing this for a TV program and wants to seem well adjusted, doesn't tell me that he has REALLY processed everything. Of course, who the hell am i to make comments on somebody elses recovery. I respect him for the work that he has done, but again i repeat my previous hope that the people closest to him stick by him in what i think is a continuing journey of recovery.

I do understand, though, that maybe anger truthfully wasn't the emotion that he feels, for any number of reasons. And you can ask, should he be angry? he certainly has a right to be angry, and maybe the fact that he isn't angry just underlines a complexity that he will need to work on as he grows.

#302126 - 09/08/09 02:14 AM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: king tut]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Shawn's website:

http://www.shawnhornbeck.com

Unfortunately the message board/forum had to be shut down due to the amount of hurtful misinformation it has attracted.

Also, another website devoted to the safe recovery of missing children inspired by Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby's horrific ordeal at the hands of Mike Devlin whose sentence is 72 life terms plus 170 years.

http://www.shawnhornbeckfoundation.com

What has come from this is that some are questioning why Shawn did not attempt escape, inferring that he was, of all things, complicit in his ongoing kidnapping. How, DAMNIT, how a boy who is abduction by a monstrous perpetrator who had repeatedly threatened his life could there be anyone who would be suspicious of Shawn's motives? Funny how no one is doing this with Jaycee Lee Dugard. This just shows how little ground we've made with society regarding male sexual abuse.

48 Hours Interview question, Shawn's greatest fear: Not being understood. Most grateful for: Having a loving family.

#302142 - 09/08/09 10:58 AM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: Barkabus]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Barkabus
What has come from this is that some are questioning why Shawn did not attempt escape, inferring that he was, of all things, complicit in his ongoing kidnapping. How, DAMNIT, how a boy who is abduction by a monstrous perpetrator who had repeatedly threatened his life could there be anyone who would be suspicious of Shawn's motives? Funny how no one is doing this with Jaycee Lee Dugard. This just shows how little ground we've made with society regarding male sexual abuse.

Barkabus,

I totally agree with you about society not being very far along regarding the affects of male sexual abuse. I was very upset at the media and the general population and the neighbors of Shawns when they stated "why did you not tell?". WTF - I thought. Here is a boy age 11 being "abducted", beaten, sexually assaulted and threatened with death. Even an adult would have trouble dealing with this but, a child/boy OMG get a clue.

But, on a positive note - maybe Shawns story going public which is a "shocker" the issue of male sexual abuse will take hold. Maybe the affects is has on children and the families will take hold.

If we can I would be a good idea to flood the media with our comments.

Lets stand up and be noticed. I know it will be tough. There is a comment space just below the video.

Peace,
DJ

Edited by DJsport (09/08/09 11:44 AM)

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#302148 - 09/08/09 12:33 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: DJsport]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

While I think later in Life Shawn will need to revisit all this, and I think one day anger will come, he has two things that I know many of us here wish we could have had:

1. He's getting therapy NOW. Not 15/20 years from now after craploads of issues and mistakes have been made because of what happened.

2. He's got an AWESOME family. Loving. Supportive. I mean they spent every penny they had to find him. They know enough to let him open up at his own rate. They know he'll share when HE is ready.

I had a hard time telling my parents at 33. At 17??? Fuck that, it wouldn't have happened. Emotionally I had no support at all. Telling was impossible. Shawn was in an environment where his only support was himself. He kept himself safe. His only options were 1. Stay or 2. Die. While those who have never been there don't see it that way, it's just that, they haven't been there.

Shawn has lots of support, which I think is awesome. I know that Craig wasn't the only one who left this job and devoted himself completely to finding Shawn. There were others. They're all good people. Definitely a group of people to be thankful for.

#302168 - 09/08/09 02:24 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: JustScott]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, all.

There is a comment section below the video in the link below (which was copied by Justscott earlier this post) that I made comments.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5290464n&tag=related;photovideo

I believe we ALL are experiencing what Shawn is going through. I believe in order to stop the abuse we all need to voice ourselves and NOT be silent anymore.

Peace to you all,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#302189 - 09/08/09 05:11 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: DJsport]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I just watched the whole interview/show online. I think it is amazing how Shawn is able to come into the limelight, and share his story, which is the story of many, many boys and men. It is not just his story in and of itself, but the story that says we need to be aware of this evil, and take all necessary steps to eliminate it whenever and wherever possible.

Thank you Shawn.

J.R.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.