Newest Members
flower, BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern
12122 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
4 registered (pete1973, 3 invisible), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12122 Members
73 Forums
62530 Topics
438185 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301856 - 09/05/09 10:08 PM Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Shawn Hornbeck's story featured tonight on NBC's 48 hours

Correction: CBS not NBC

With Ben Owneby

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (09/05/09 10:30 PM)
Edit Reason: CBS not NBC

#301859 - 09/05/09 10:52 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: pufferfish]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

You can watch it online: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5290464n&tag=related;photovideo

Edited by JustScott (09/06/09 12:35 AM)

#301999 - 09/07/09 12:27 AM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: JustScott]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think Shawn is a hero.

My hat's off to you, Shawn.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#302010 - 09/07/09 01:31 AM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: pufferfish]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, Guys.

Shawn if you come here - know you are a hero.

You are a survivor.

Peace,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#302043 - 09/07/09 12:18 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: DJsport]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Allen?

Why do you consider him a hero? People survive tragedies, assaults, accidents, and disasters every day. This alone makes them heroic?

Could you elaborate a little on this please?

#302045 - 09/07/09 12:37 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: Hauser]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've got a lot of respect for Shawn. As he said, he's a survivor. He's working hard to have a normal life on the heels of such an abnormal and horrific 4.5 years. He'll most likely do well because he's got such a tremendous support network around him.

Ultimately the choice is his. You Go, Shawn!!!

#302046 - 09/07/09 12:43 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: Hauser]
didi Offline

Hello All!

I too believe that Shawn is a hero. I found this definition...

http://www.123helpme.com/preview.asp?id=37481

A couple things that really sticks out are:

Quote:
They also endure much resistance, hardship, and danger. Often the hero learns valuable lessons about survival and self-reliance. Not only do heroes teach valuable lessons they give a child a sense of belonging. To a child, a hero is an invincible person who will change the world.

Listening to Shawn's interview will change the way many young survivors cope with their recovery. He his an inspiration with his will to survive and the courage to carry on. (as are all survivors) That in my eyes, is a HERO.

I consider my Son a hero for many reasons, his strength,courage, and the need he felt to protect me when his perps threatened to kill me if he told....

He has the courage to attend Therapy once a week, deal with his Vision Issues, flashbacks, triggers and so on. That is VERY heroic, all survivors are heroes to me..

Take care,

Didi

#302050 - 09/07/09 01:40 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: didi]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for sharing the link to view this online Scott.

This story is utterly shocking and inspiring. Of course it is impossible to determine from a television interview but it looks to me that Shawn has been able to suppress the horrific ordeal he went through. That's probably the best thing for him and his family right now. I do feel for him though, for the long term effects. I hope and pray that as they come up that he is able to deal and confront them in a healthy manner.

I think that after seeing this program, most people, especially those unfamiliar with the effects of CSA, will come away thinking that this being "the miracle in Missouri", Shawn has been able to resume a normal life. While I don't dismiss the miraculous nature of Shawn's rescue, I think Shawn has a very rough road ahead of him and my heart goes out to him.

Good program though. Shawn's courage is inspiring. I cried through it.

Mike

#302055 - 09/07/09 02:26 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: Barkabus]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you very much for sharing this pufferfish.

I watched it and can't really say much of anything. I was traveling a lot when it all happened and rather studiously avoided hearing about it at the time to be honest. His progress is truly amazing. What struck me was when the interviewer asked him about his greatest fear, his answer was "not being understood." There are certainly more a than a few of us here who know exactly what that young man is saying, and he said it to the world right there. Yep, that's a hero.

sono

#302085 - 09/07/09 08:21 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck tonight on NBC 48 hours 9/5/09 [Re: sono]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Two things struck me in Shawn's story that directly relate to all us:

His courage - he never gave up just like we have NOT given up. Courage to be is living through a terrible moment/event

His bravery - for being a teen and having to answer the question "why did you not tell" and his answer "others will judge me and ask that question. We all know why he did not tell - fear of death or more severe punishment. He faced his captor and is now facing his own reality. Bravery is living beyond courage and facing reality.

The question above is "why is Shawn a hero?" I think we are all HEROES. Shawn is a hero to me because he went public and answered some deep questions about male sexual abuse.

Peace and great healing to all,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.