Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (lapchinj, Shyshark, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64021 Topics
446794 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#301489 - 09/03/09 02:48 PM Want to know why I don't like to talk politics?
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's because I'm afraid I'll end up turning into one of these people.

Quote:
President Obama will address schoolchildren nationwide Tuesday, and some parents are threatening to keep children home because of it.

The White House is billing the speech as a back-to-school welcome message. But some in the blogosphere say itís political indoctrination, and they wonít let their kids participate.

Okay - really? Indoctrination? What, do they think Obama is going to be pitching his health care program to third graders? "Stay in school, get good grades, and work hard to be successful." Jesus, he's going to turn our children into the Hitler Youth if he keeps that up.

What's going to happen is that eventually, no children are going to grow up with any kind of respect for the title "President of the United States". Their parents will have stripped the office of any vestige of dignity or honor, perhaps with the caveat "unless he's a (insert my political party here)". And how are these kids, when they grow up, supposed to take the office seriously enough to give their choice in a presidental election the thought and consideration it deserves?

The irony is that I bet all of those parents would be vocally approving if the school one day started requiring students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before class.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#301510 - 09/03/09 05:10 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: melliferal]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
warning: as usual i am waxing opinionated here....so take it with a grain of salt, ok? wink

these wingnuts are the pro-birth maniacal parent class constantly stuck in town hall meeting offense mode. the only way they seem to wield their power is by using their children as weapons to make a point. they will continue to disapprove anything obama, as long as they continue to take their cues from fox news pundits, who see nothing correct about our government's administration under president obama.

in my gestapo dreams, they would all be lined up and publicly bitch slapped for inseminating their children with such hateful disparaging baditudes. wouldn't that be funny?

so, who should do the slappin? perez hilton?

blush

i think i said too much..... ooops laugh

#301517 - 09/03/09 07:20 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Sans Logos]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
What if you don't respect the man that holds the office of the Presidency?

Mel, believe it or not, some people find his policies (not just his, there is plenty of sin to go around with both major parties) just plain evil? Yes, I said evil.

LOL I might have found myself alongside these people were I "normal" and had kids in school, although my reasons for not listening to him would be on a far-higher plane of enlightenment than what I suspect the majority of the parents in this story exist on.

#301726 - 09/05/09 12:28 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Hauser]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Alan,

There will be another pesidental election in a few years. You may want to see what you can do to get Ron Paul elected then instead of caling other peoples names. Also might be more productive for the country too.
Whether you like President Obama's political views and positions is beside the point. The man is the President of the United States legally elected by a majority of the voting citizens.
Respect the position he holds if for no for no other reason.

And people wonder why their children show or have no respect for them.
Again parents expecting their children to do as they say and not as they do. Children become exactly what their parents teach them to become. Open-minded or bigoted, adults set the example.
Let's get our heads out of our asses and set a good example.
Whatever your political views.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#301734 - 09/05/09 02:18 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: michael banks]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Perhaps we might enjoy a king that everyone is afraid of, who is surrounded by his secret police and security forces, who just takes at will without any regard for anyone but himself and his few friends, who live a palatial life of luxury.

Kind of reminds me of King George Bush the 2nd!!! I remember now why I wanted to get rid of the tyrant and his cronies so badly.

#301739 - 09/05/09 03:10 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Trucker51]
Charlie24 Offline

I think a big thing about political discussion is that it can be very emotionally draining. I know for a fact this is very true for me.

If two people are having a discussion and differ with their political views they may end up in a heated argument trying to prove to other individual that their viewpoint is superior.

I for one am grateful to be from the great land of America.

Where we are allowed to disagree and not worry about having our heads blown off for not agreeing with the President.

I think a big part of the revolt in our country is this is something very new to our country. For the first time in our 200 plus year history we don't have a President that is white.

I think this is unnerving to individuals because anytime anything new comes along change and adaption I believe in away have to evolve and maybe it's more of a revolt at the uncertainty, the fear of the unknown with a black President.

This is just my personal opinion politics. I don't think this will ever change in our Great Country.

Great topic, thanks.

Charles.

#301759 - 09/05/09 07:37 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics [Re: Charlie24]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys,

I've decided to delete my postings in this thread. Despite whatever thoughts and feelings I have on this topic, I'm an unable to completely keep negative thoughts out of my head having to do with disagreements on these issues. This place of MS is too important to me particularly in terms of the positiveness and compassion that everyone has for one another out of the negative situations that brought us all here. I want nothing whatsoever to pollute this purely positive experience for me.

all the best,

sono

Edited by sono (09/09/09 05:59 AM)

#301768 - 09/05/09 09:05 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Sans Logos]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Sans Logos
warning: as usual i am waxing opinionated here....so take it with a grain of salt, ok? wink

these wingnuts are the pro-birth maniacal parent class constantly stuck in town hall meeting offense mode. the only way they seem to wield their power is by using their children as weapons to make a point. they will continue to disapprove anything obama, as long as they continue to take their cues from fox news pundits, who see nothing correct about our government's administration under president obama.

in my gestapo dreams, they would all be lined up and publicly bitch slapped for inseminating their children with such hateful disparaging baditudes. wouldn't that be funny?

so, who should do the slappin? perez hilton?

blush

i think i said too much..... ooops laugh

It's not a "conservative" thing. It's just a political thing. Left-wing extremists would be doing the same thing if it were McCain being the president and wanting to give the pep talk.

But it's a PEP TALK. You don't have to agree with the guy's health care plan, or his foreign policy, or his haircut; but all a child is going to remember is that "The President" told her to stay in school and work hard. Yes, I consider the politicization of children to be the stealing of innocence. Taking your children to a protest or a picket line, and having them hold up signs and teaching them to hate whoever the hated-politician-of-the-month is, that's abuse. You're telling them what to think and forcing them to be posters for concepts they don't even understand. Keeping your child home from school so that YOU can make a cheap political statement is, in my opinion, reprehensible.

It's the president of the United States, for Christ's sake. The president. Don't think him telling a kid to get good grades and stay away from drugs won't make an impact on at least some kids? Well, it won't make an impact on the ones who are taught to think the president is "evil", that's for sure.

Kids used to want to grow up to be things like the President, or an astronaut, or a policeman, or a firefighter. But what kid would want to be now, in this day and age where their parents call the president an asshole with malicious intent, and inform them that NASA is just a greedy money vaccuum that accomplishes nothing, and that police are nazi thugs who beat people up for no reason and want to take away all our rights, and firefighters are pawns of the mafia-esque workers' unions. See now the grand dreams of childhood, skewered on the petard of our adult egos and self-righteousness.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#301776 - 09/05/09 10:58 AM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: melliferal]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
When did I call somebody names?

#301790 - 09/05/09 12:22 PM Re: Want to know why I don't like to talk politics? [Re: Hauser]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Hauser
When did I call somebody names?

The part that I noticed was when you appeared to defend ridiculous* statements by justifying the idea that encouraging children to learn and grow in school was "evil." Or maybe you were saying those parents are evil? Either way, ad hominem attacks are basically name calling and can only be interpreted as meaning "he/she/you/they/... are stoopid, so, obviously I win."

* ridiculous = worthy of ridicule, or maybe not even worth that

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.