Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, TheBobcatAgain), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64205 Topics
448044 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301473 - 09/03/09 01:20 PM Therapeutic Sexual Assault
Tom S. Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tn
Anyone else ever experience this ? Sexual molestation or rape committed by a trusted therapist, counselor, social worker, or mental health provider ?

I am shut out of mental health services because of it. These people are like attorneys unwilling to serve malpractice justice against one of their own out of fear of acknowledging impropriety and scrutiny of their profession, but largely the resultant scrutiny of their own personal practice it would bring.
Simply no one capable in the profession.

I've been 12 years searching for a single provider who is not only willing of professional conduct while providing professional services they are highly paid, trained, and licensed to provide, but also exhibit enough common sense to keep 'her' prejudice and bias out of the sessions.
Not easy to find for a 53 y/o male sexually molested by a female social worker when he was 17, in a female predominant industry.

I'm not new to MS, I first posted here over 10 years ago. and the 'Find a Therapist' service has been of no help.
I need help locating a provider. Anyone out there to advise ?

Tom S. in Tn.

#301480 - 09/03/09 01:44 PM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Tom S.]
garr Offline

I went to a male therapist because I was molested by a woman. I think it makes a difference. I know they are harder to find, but apparently they are out there. Mine specializes in EMDR and healing through a holistic approach. He is a gentle and caring individual, which is something I thought I wouldn't get from a male therapist. I thought they were all the Freudian, all of your problems relate to your mother, now get over it sorts. You, know, the stereotypical therapist telling you that the toaster's not real even though you see it right there in the Quizno's commercial! He's not like that at all. He is everything I always thought I'd find in a female therapist but didn't (albeit I only ever saw one woman and never mentioned my CSA).

#301515 - 09/03/09 06:47 PM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: garr]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Richard Gartner is in Columbus, OH and Mic Hunter is in St. Paul, MN. With enough advance purchase on their current sale, Nashville to Columbus roundtrip on Southwest Airlines can be had for about $150 including tax, and there is a non-stop in the morning from Nashville and a non-stop out of Columbus in the late afternoon. So you could fly up in the morning and see Dr. Gartner, then be home in time for supper, or maybe stay over and attend a group if there is one available there too.

Dr. Lee Blackwell in Huntington Beach, CA offers counseling over the phone too. http://www.drblackwell.net/index2.html Southwest flies to both Minneapolis/St. Paul and to John Wayne/Orange County too!!!

Mark

#301596 - 09/04/09 08:51 AM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Trucker51]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
You may be confusing Richard Gartner with Howard Fradkin. Richard is in NYC and Howard is in Columbus. Both are excellent clinicians, and Mic is also one of the best.

#301597 - 09/04/09 08:52 AM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Trucker51]
Tom S. Offline

Thank you both for your help.

Trucker; can you give any personal experiences with any of these 3 ?
I have written Mr. Gartner a few years back, but figured the commute was too far not knowing if he was any more qualified than what's available locally.

The yellow pages and internet are full of them, but actually having a referral from someone who has seen them is different.

Thank you very kindly again; Tom S. in Tn.

#301600 - 09/04/09 08:59 AM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Tom S. Offline

Mr. Singer;
Your post jumped on there before I got mine in !
In your travels, have you had any interactions with any qualified male therapist within driving range of middle Tennessee?

I am dependent on insurance coverage and affording out of state commute could only happen a couple times.

The anger of being broke would only amplify any problems I might presently experience.

Thanks again; Tom S. in Tn.

#301643 - 09/04/09 03:17 PM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Tom S.]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
You are right Ken, one of these days I will get the names and places right. Thanks for pointing that out. I did see Mic Hunter in St. Paul in 1997-98 myself, as well as 2 different therapists who were good in Denver in 1996-97. My first therapist was a student therapist at the Cleveland State University Counseling Center in Cleveland, OH in 1986-87, and my first support group was through the downtown Cleveland YMCA, which was then on the corner of Prospect and East 22nd St.

I could ask my little sister about what she knows of in Nashville. She used to live there over by the airport and is now a women's issues therapist in Boulder, CO.

Mark

#301673 - 09/04/09 06:06 PM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Trucker51]
Tom S. Offline

I would sincerely appreciate that because I've netted absolutely nothing.
Not much male support here, and if you say you were female perpetrated, your life is in your own hands.

I'll be watching for your reply; Tom S.

#301677 - 09/04/09 06:24 PM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Tom S.]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can't be the only person this has happened to. There has to be a qualified therapist around the Nashville area for you. Continue the search, it will be fruitful. As far as locating famale therapist (since that's who molested you in the first place) may not be a good idea. There are LMH (licensed mental health) workers and LCSW (licensed clinical social workers) who are educated in areas that may be of assistance to you. The individual my wife and I go to is LCSW but they are doing a great work in our lives. Keep up the search. Blessings on you efforts. Been there.

#301680 - 09/04/09 06:26 PM Re: Therapeutic Sexual Assault [Re: Tom S.]
Tom S. Offline

Let me add something Mark.

Anyone near this geographic region will immediately say phone the one and only rape crisis center because they have all the services and can cure anyone, which is untrue.
Those people are extremely male unfriendly.
The only male counselor is unlicensed and treats children. I'm not for certain even he is still there anymore since they moved and began having to bill for insurance.
The only ones there who actually posses any form of a license are social workers.

The secondary trauma and abuse from those people 10 years ago far and again exceeds anything I may have received as a kid.

Tom S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.