I just read an auricle that suggest that the battle to overcome CSA is like fighting a dragon. When people begin this battle, they think it's going to be like this: There's a terrible dragon over here. He has caused untold pain and misery in my life. I must kill him. So I draw my sword and I go to do battle, and he knocks me down, and I knock him down, and we fight and we fight and we fight and it's a terrible battle, but finally, because I'm so valiant and so diligent, I get a couple of good blows in, I drive my sword into his heart, and he goes down, and I collapse in exhaustion, covered with dirt and mud and blood and sweat, but victorious. That's how they picture this happening; that's how they've been trying to do it.

It doesn't work.

Those who are successful would describe it this way: there's a terrible dragon over there; he has caused untold pain and misery in my life. I draw my sword, he lunges at me, I hold him back by calmly saying to myself, "This is not what I want, This is not who I am”… I back up a little bit, I must decrease my emotional reactivity to it . This is the key component in defeating the dragon and very, very difficult to do…

Edited by Tedure (06/19/10 12:46 AM)