Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, Greg56, watzupwitu, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443342 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299831 - 08/18/09 10:27 PM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: 1islandboy]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: 1islandboy
I used to watch this show, but don't anymore.

I think Chef Ramsey is an arrogant pompous a**.

I would however, gladly like to see this guy at an ultimate fighting contest.

In fact, I would volunteer to fight him. Let's see where his mouth gets him then...

Mr. Scary vs. Eruption

island

Thanks island,

I guess I still have anger.

You do better than I do in expressing it.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#299845 - 08/19/09 12:25 AM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: 1islandboy]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I used to be a professional cook. And if Ramsey ever treated me like he does those folks, I'm not sure who I'd put in the oven- him or the beef ribs.

#299849 - 08/19/09 01:06 AM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: LilacLouie]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Louie,

I love it. Thank you.

Allen

pufferfish

#299855 - 08/19/09 01:29 AM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: pufferfish]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Puffer,

Funny you should mention anger, as I tend to bottle it all up and am horrible in expressing it.

As far as I am concerned the kitchen is an awful place for high drama....There are knives, hot oil and all sorts of nasties around there.

In my opinion, this is not a culinary of fine arts way to turn out a good chef.

I'm just glad, I have the option of changing the channel, this type of bullying tends to make me feel psychotic.

Right Through You (Allanis Morisette)

island

Edited by 1islandboy (08/19/09 01:50 PM)
Edit Reason: to graphic

#299965 - 08/20/09 03:11 AM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: 1islandboy]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Back when we had the Dish Network my wife and I used to enjoy Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares which was on the BBC. He used to go to all of these unsuccessful restaurants mostly in Great Britain and try to whip them back into shape. One of my favorite episodes was when he re-did some restaurant that looked like an old church somewhere in the UK where they were serving some senior citizen's buffet and not doing a very good job of it. He got to yell pretty loud and profane in that episode.

Yes, Ramsey is a bit profane, though nothing that I haven't heard before in the meat business in Chicago, Cleveland, or Detroit, or at many of the big factories there too. Perhaps they could do different feeds of the same show and make up some corny cuss words to replace his usual fare. Remember the sanitized TV version of the movie Repo Man, where they were calling the Mexican repo men "melon farmers"??? Something like that so that everyone could enjoy it.

There are definitely a lot of lousy restaurants out there!!!

Mark

#301384 - 09/02/09 08:42 PM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: Trucker51]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

The contestants in Hell's Kitchen are just that - contestants, vying for a prize, having to overcome some adversity in order to do so. Think of the old show "American Gladiators", where the competitors run strenuous courses while 400-pounds-of-pure-muscle behemoths slam them in the head with pugil sticks and mattresses and shoot them with high-velocity tennis balls and what-not. The idea of that show was that the atheletes had to survive enormous stress in order to overcome and win the competition.

It's the same thing with Hell's Kitchen - Ramsey's mouth is his pugil stick, and the contestants are repeatedly battered with it until they either fall off the pedestal or win. The players actually know and expect what Ramsey is like and agree to try it out anyway, so I'm less inclined to dismiss Ramsey's show as sending the wrong message. He's an ass, yeah, but he's hardly the worst obstacle people have ever had to endure in order to win a contest.

That said, Ramsey's attitude is spectacle, for the show, and he gets away with it because it's his restaurant and the players sign releases. I'm pretty sure your average restaurant's atmosphere is leagues more professional than that. If somebody screamed at his staff in a real restaurant the way Ramsey does on his show, the customers would become offended and leave.

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#301391 - 09/02/09 09:18 PM Re: Hell's Kitchen [Re: LilacLouie]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: LilacLouie
I used to be a professional cook. And if Ramsey ever treated me like he does those folks, I'm not sure who I'd put in the oven- him or the beef ribs.

We were watching a show about Hansel and Gretel, you know the one where the wicked witch gets thrown into the oven she'd prepared for Hansel. The entire audience broke out in cheers and clapping. laugh

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.