Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
3 registered (peroperic2009, sentry, Cam76), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
437998 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#300998 - 08/30/09 10:54 PM Anxiety and Meds....
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I was on anti-depressants for awhile... but haven't taken them in a long long time.

But now I've reached a point in things where I've realized that I live in a constant state of elevated anxiety. It's just always there. So when things get difficult... the normal levels go through the roof and I find myself continually unable to breath and unable to focus, aka, dang near having a panic attack.

My T suggested that I might consider medication again to deal with such things...

So my question is, has anyone taken any Anti-Anxiety meds? I hate taking meds of all sorts. If there was one that I could take I'd prefer it to have as few side effects as possible. Maybe that's asking too much right there, I don't know.

I need to do something. My anxiety has been BAD lately. I've been looking to do various things in my life but trying to do so has brought with it LOTS of stress and anxiety.

I have an irregular heart beat which has been looked over and examined and there has never been found any physical reasons for it. Best that can be determined is that it's stress/anxiety related... and as such it's been BAD along with the anxiety lately.

So I'm looking for something. I really don't need this thing killing me off before I can actually do something positive with myself.

#301096 - 08/31/09 05:57 PM Re: Anxiety and Meds.... [Re: JustScott]
ZGRE Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Scott:

While I have not take anti-depressants, I will give this a shot.

Y-O-G-A. Yoga. In addition to whatever your T is saying, seriously consider doing yoga. You can do this on your own. Or, you can take classes. Perhaps there is an inexpensive yoga class in a local park.

Another thing is exercise in the form of walking for about thirty (30) minutes each day. This thirty minutes can be split up into 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening.

So, don't worry about "wasting space" or "breathing someone else's air" - - - just get yourself moving.

I went through a terribly difficult illness over the past ten years. Physical fitness was good nutrition was instrumental to getting myself in a better situation.

Good luck.

Z

#301189 - 09/01/09 01:36 PM Re: Anxiety and Meds.... [Re: ZGRE]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, Scott.

For me when I experienced anxiety, the best thing that worked for me was to slow my mind down.

I agree with Z above about taking a walk. But, on the walk think only yourself and the things around you. If you need to take a favorite item.

I have gotten so much out of your posts so, I know you have great tools therefore give yourself kodos for being a great you.

Peace,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#301211 - 09/01/09 04:13 PM Re: Anxiety and Meds.... [Re: DJsport]
garr Offline

Here is some information that my T gave me concerning my anxiety. Luckily, the web page was listed at teh bottom of the handouts, so I can share.

This link has a bunch of information about anxiety. To be honest, this is the first I've seen of it, so I haven't read it yet.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/minipax.cfm?mini_ID=21

This next link is one of the handouts that he gave me that describes "mindfulness".

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACF3C5B.pdf

This is the handout with my mindfulness exercise that I am doing about five times per day (it takes about three minutes):

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACF3C6F.pdf

And this final link is the worksheet that I haven't been filling out:

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/ACF8C4.pdf

I had a terrible time yesterday. I had an almost unprecedented level of anxiety. Unfortunately, the day before, I had sensed that I had pissed my wife off. She said I didn't, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I had and the anxiety just built all day long. My normal pulse is 68, but yesterday, I was running at 100 all day. I couldn't get things to slow down at all. I tried the mindfulness exercise and even it didn't help. It sucked. I found last night, that I had pissed her off, we fought a little, I broke down and cried a lot, and after everything settled down, my pulse was at 80. I still felt very anxious though, but it was down to a normal high level of anxiety for me. At that point, I was able to start doing those exercises to bring my pulse back down to around 74.

Today, I am still feeling a bit anxious, but my pulse is in the low 70's and when I do the exercise, I am bringing it down to the low 60's and can actually stay relaxed for 10-15 minutes. It's not much, but it does get easier the more and more I do this. I've only been doing it for about three weeks, so it's still new for me. And the first week, I kept forgetting and would only do it once or twice a day, if at all. I'm getting better.

Anyways, this might be a useful tool for you too.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.