Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, Shyshark, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63394 Topics
443242 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#300694 - 08/27/09 02:45 PM Art Show for Survivors' Work
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
THIS IS FROM AN EMAIL THAT I GOT AND AM PASSING ON. WE'VE POSTED THIS SHOW BEFORE. THE SHOW IS 10/15-16 AT STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY, STONY BROOK, NY PHONE BELOW FOR MORE INFO.
KS

It is the time of year to announce the 2009 SASS (Sexual Abuse Survivor’s Art Show). We would be very grateful for you to share the below information (if the picture does not appear, let me know, I’ll send separately).

I wanted to share information about a very profound event – the 18th Annual SASS (Sexual Abuse Survivor’s Art Show); The SASS is a multi-dimensional project featuring the art, music, poetry etc. of sexual and domestic violence abuse survivors. The show offers a safe space for survivors to exhibit the creative works they have completed as a part of the healing process and provides a culturally and socially enriching experience for the public. Now in its eighteenth year, SASS is an annual showcase of the healing power of art for survivors of abuse and is implemented through FEGS - L.I.F.E (Living in Fair Environments) Programs. In the past we’ve been fortunate to display artwork from all over the world. For any questions, please feel free to contact me (Holly Beck) at hbeck@fegs.org or call the phone number listed below. (631-264-2915 x302). For artists’ agreement please see our website: www.fegs.org/sasshow - any questions please contact me.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR ARTISTS…

The Sexual Abuse Survivors’ Show (SASS) is a multi-dimensional project featuring the artistic expression

of sexual abuse and domestic violence survivors. This show offers a safe space for survivors to exhibit their creative work. Additionally, the show provides a culturally and socially enriching experience for the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Ken Singer, LCSW (08/27/09 02:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Additional info added

#300697 - 08/27/09 03:26 PM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
a very profound event – the 18th Annual SASS (Sexual Abuse Survivor’s Art Show); The SASS is a multi-dimensional project featuring the art, music, poetry etc. of sexual and domestic violence abuse survivors. The show offers a safe space for survivors to exhibit the creative works they have completed as a part of the healing process and provides a culturally and socially enriching experience for the public. THE SHOW IS 10/15-16 AT STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY, STONY BROOK, NY. For any questions, please feel free to contact me (Holly Beck) at hbeck@fegs.org or call the phone number listed below. (631-264-2915 x302). For artists’ agreement please see our website: www.fegs.org/sasshow

Questions:

1. Is photography one of the art forms they recognize? If so, does it have to be abstract?

2. Does the display have to portray something of the trauma or the healing experience (directly that is)?

Allen

pufferfish

#300702 - 08/27/09 03:52 PM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: pufferfish]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Contact them and ask. smile I'm sure Holly would be pleased to answer any questions anyone has.

#300772 - 08/28/09 11:31 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
a very profound event – the 18th Annual SASS (Sexual Abuse Survivor’s Art Show); The SASS is a multi-dimensional project featuring the art, music, poetry etc. of sexual and domestic violence abuse survivors. The show offers a safe space for survivors to exhibit the creative works they have completed as a part of the healing process and provides a culturally and socially enriching experience for the public. THE SHOW IS 10/15-16 AT STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY, STONY BROOK, NY. For any questions, please feel free to contact me (Holly Beck) at hbeck@fegs.org or call the phone number listed below. (631-264-2915 x302). For artists’ agreement please see our website: www.fegs.org/sasshow

Here is a link to previous work:

http://www.fegs.org/sasshow/PA.html

Allen

pufferfish

#300828 - 08/28/09 09:36 PM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
WE ARE LOOKING FOR ARTISTS…

I don't quite qualify then (or maybe as i often do i am reading into this too much), but one day when i am better i hope to put something in for one of these exhibits.

The problem with the requirement that the pieces must be to a standard as if done by an artist is that they may not be powerful in the correct way. I, for example, would find a drawing done by a five year old child who is trying to express himself in what ever way he can more powerful than a drawing done by somebody who is very technically good at drawing (which ultimately is geared to impress a different group of people which isn't quite in the spirit of things).

For now i feel kind of content with what my drawings, although not technically great, can do for me. I think the act of drawing (and expressing feelings or telling a story through art) is a very good aid to healing. If i sit down (usually on the floor surrounded by chocolate or things to treat myself lol) and work on a drawing for three hours or more, with the aim of expressing a certain feeling, then it really helps me to stabilise myself in a meaningful and lasting way. Sometimes i can find myself more clearly when i am scribbling away at a piece of paper with a pencil rather than writing actual words.

Anyhow, i havent got any drawings that i am happy with enough yet to think about entering them into something like this. But practice makes perfect!

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#301302 - 09/02/09 09:34 AM Re: Art Show for Survivors' Work [Re: king tut]
b869 Offline

Loc: Philippines
LOL If I wasn't to lazy to read the Artist Agreement I would enter my drawings (even thou I'm not that good seems fun to do) and besides i think I need a guardian to sign for me.

Marvin

When thing get complicated go back to simplicity

Harvey Fierstein
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.