Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
7 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, CafeMan, 1islandboy, Cam76, md4e, 2 invisible), 65 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62493 Topics
438015 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#300175 - 08/22/09 06:56 AM The Over 40 Crowd
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
THE SPOILED UNDER-40 CROWD!!!

If you are 40 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning....

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter -with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all our friends also had permission to kick our butts! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had PacMan and the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
And you could never win.. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your butt and walk over to the TV to change the channel!
NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 40 Crowd

#300185 - 08/22/09 10:40 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: J.R.]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Well-put JR.

If I may add on some of those: before Atari and Pacman, some of us were lucky to see the oh-so-primitive Pong. Watch a dot get batted back and forth - yay...

When I lived in Texas in the 70s, there was no all-night TV. At 1AM it would sign off, and in the daylight morning, there was a test pattern while some piece of music like Classical Gas played.

The phone I had wasn't even touch-tone - it was rotary! If you were one of the "rich" folks you had a pricey answering machine that could screen the calls for you.

We could copy music to cassette, provided the other person nicely loaned us their long-play record or 45s. Cassette decks were top-load back then, and their case was made out of wood. A turntable was called a record-player, and wasn't the nice compact unit you see today. It was the size of furniture and took up a whole section of a wall.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#300209 - 08/22/09 02:38 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: J.R.]
Ornias Offline

hahah to funny old people crack me up

#300213 - 08/22/09 03:07 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Ornias]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Ok my fraternal brothers.

It's the ancient one, (oh no, not again)?

well, we got to ride in rumble seats, that is were where the trunk lid was on cars. It was fun.

There was NO TV at least for a few more years.

But we had radio, and in my mind it was a great experience. You made the images in your mind. We had "The Shadow Knows"
"lights out", "The lone Ranger" "The Green Hornet" oh yep! O'l Hoppy, "Hopalong Cassidy" etc.

If you was lucky, you might have had an Erector set.

You could build a model airplane out of balsa wood. it was a stick model. You had to cut out strips, and tack, then glue them together on a lined plan. And that was before that glue that you had to use became a source of kids getting high sniffing it.

We hopped street cars, (steping on the coupler). If it was cold or rainy, we just pulled the trolly pole off the wire, run down the opposite side of the street car when the conductor had to come to the back and put it on.
While he was doing that we snuck on the trolley.

We in the winter hop car bumpers. when the ground was covered with snow. Hanging on to the bumper and sliding along it was fun,until.......you hit a bare manhole cover, and your finger tips was still on the bumper. but your face was scraped from being peeled off. And your finger tips were bleeding.

So this tidbit is from the over 70 crowd.

' I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness, into the sunlight forever into eternity".

Heal well my fraternal brothers, heal well.

Litle Pete & big Pete..but 1 (Irishmoose)

Edited by petercorbett (08/25/09 09:36 PM)
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#300215 - 08/22/09 03:20 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: petercorbett]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Nice list JR. I said the same thing when I was a kid. And fell off that wagon!

#300271 - 08/23/09 03:35 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: prisonerID]
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
You guys are old! lol

#300272 - 08/23/09 04:08 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Jaifian]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Remember the gas station bell hose, which let the attendants know that they had to come out and pump someone's gas??? I remember how funny it was to grab the bell hose and run across a busy street with it!!!

Remember when they sold real M-80s at the five and dime store?

Video games??? At the pool hall that I hung-out at in high school they had nine 9 ft billiard tables, 4 foosball tables, maybe 50 pinball machines, and 2 air-hockey tables. At the bowling alley they had a bowling machine where you would roll a little ball down the alley and knock over fake pins, plus they had a shuffleboard table too. Cigarettes were 50 cents per pack in the machine in the vestibule too.

A canned soda in the machine at the gas station was a quarter, and a gallon of regular gas was 37.9 cents in 1973. In 1970 a gallon of gas for the boat out on the dock at the marina was 27.9 cents. In 1969 at Summer camp a 7-ounce bottle of Coca-Cola was 10 cents in the machine. In 1971 I saw someone burn their draft card. It wasn't for draft beer either.

Anyone remember 8-track tapes??? Remember trying to get them back into the case after the 8-track player ate them??? I remember back when there was lots of 8-track tape all alongside the roads after people threw them out their car windows.

At the Ben Franklin store candy bars were 10 cents for the same size bar that is now a double-size candy bar. Models of cars, ships, and planes were $1-$2, and you didn't have to have your parents there to buy airplane glue or spray paint either. Right next door at the bowling alley it was 3 games for $1 on Saturday mornings with 25 cent shoes.

When I was a kid we used to ride our old single-speed Schwinn's up to the store picking-up all of the glass bottles along the way to turn them in for the 2 cent deposit. Back then bottlers re-used glass bottles. At age 12 I had a paper route and I caddied at our local country club. I made 3 cents per newspaper that I delivered M-SA plus 10 cents each for the Sunday paper, and I had over 50 customers. The Summer of 1969 it paid $4.75 plus tips to carry someone's golf bag for 18 holes.

It cost 5 cents to mail a letter unless you wanted to get it there in half the time, then you would have to pay 8 cents for an air-mail stamp. Anyone remember when AT&T was the only game there was in telephone long-distance service and the going rate was 50 cents per minute or more? Cell phones??? I remember pagers. Beep, beep, beep, beep....time to wake-up!!!

Remember when minimum wage was $1.35 per hour? I do. Even at age 16 it was only up to $1.60 per hour.

And one more thing....I remember lots of walking too!!!

Mark

#300276 - 08/23/09 08:42 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Trucker51]
1islandboy Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Your not not a true gamer if you haven't played pong and your not hi-tech if your 8 track player doesn't have a cassette adapter.

In The Ghetto ( Elvis the p....s)

island

#300284 - 08/23/09 12:01 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: 1islandboy]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
i remember all that you say
things have changed
some for the good some not so much
but time keeps moving no matter what

mj

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#300388 - 08/24/09 04:18 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: michael Joseph]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Mark,

I remember when you could get a Big Mac, fries,and a coke for under a buck.
My friends and I also use to collect bottles in order to get candy.
When the gas stations would give you a six pack of coke for filling the tank.
Going to the drive-in movie with the speakers that you hooked on the car window.
My 1971 ford vega that burned more oil than gas.
Playing with my clackers until I couldn't take the pain of being hit by it.
Watching Don Krisher's rock concerts on friday nights.
Wolfman Jack
Evil Kniel and hoping he would miss his landing when he jump those buses.
Seeing Kiss in concert.
Bellbottom pants.
Wearing stack shoes.
My Farrah Facett poster and her pointy little nipple.
Captain and Tinel.
Fat Albert.
Streaking down Batentown Road with my three best friends.
Having to go inside the bank to get money or having to write a check at the store.
Nobody locked there homes and you just said hello as you enter your neighbors home.
Riding in the very back of my parents station wagon or the back of my uncles pickup.
Riding my motorcycle with no helmet.
Using pryers to turn the channel on our TV set.
When my best friends parents first got cable tv installed at their house. HBO.
When Mircowave ovens first came out and they were huge!!!!!
Having hair down to the middle of my back.

MAN, those were the days

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.