Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, journey4two, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#300282 - 08/23/09 11:05 AM For Tarantino fans ****Triggering****
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
Yesterday I had the wonderful privilege of watching Tarantino's latest creation, "Inglourious Basterds". Although I have to admit that it didn't live quite up to my expectations and standards of his past masterpieces, I was quite satisfied with the ending and outcome. What makes Tarantino films so appealing and dare I say therapeutic in a way? For a survivor with anger issues and fantasies of retribution, his films deliver a sensation no anger management exercise or class can duplicate. Don't get me wrong. I'm the most gentle person you'll ever meet. Spiders are pests, according to my husband, but I believe in karma and reincarnation, and always capture the little wonder and set it free outside, away from my better half with little or no Manpoints. Although I often wonder why we can't remember our indiscretions of our past lives of say being a parasite or bird... Is the concept of reincarnation some sort of social construct created to control the general population through manipulative propaganda? I digest though and I guess that should be another thread.

Please don't consider me as some volatile individual who is one pink slip or parking ticket away from going postal. As a matter of fact, I detest meaningless and senseless violence. Revenge however is not meaningless. I often dream and fantasize what I would have done differently against my tormentors and perpetrators. Tarantino brings my fantasies to life! He creates his characters with such ferocity and infuses them with a sense of swagger and arrogance that I wish that I had. His characters are strong, tough and they all talk the talk and back it up! This could not be more evident in one scene from "Death Proof". Three girls were worried about their friend who recently purchased a gun.

"Pepper spray?"
"M0+#3r^uck3r try to rape me? I don't wanna give him a skin rash! I wanna take that #!&&@ out!"

In most of Tarantino's movies, the protagonist survives a terrible ordeal and goes on an impossible mission to exact revenge on his/her tormentors i.e. Kill Bill, Sin City, Death Proof, and Inglourious Basterds. The journey is almost always violent but the anger and purpose the characters possess are so relatable. They are determine to get payback and nothing and no one will get in their way. Tarantino paints a picture that is visually stunning, for us morbid fans. I want to live vicariously through his characters! So if any of you are looking for a couple of hours of pure therapeutic fun, this is the movie to go to. Forget throwing glass against a wall or ripping old phonebooks apart, going to see this flick is SO worth it!

Edited by GentleSoul (08/23/09 11:07 AM)
Edit Reason: perfection

#300297 - 08/23/09 02:45 PM Re: For Tarantino fans ****Triggering**** [Re: GentleSoul]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Quote:
Edit Reason: perfection

i'm definitely feeling that.......oh, and quentin terantino too, but not so much the idea of reincarnation.

i mean, prior to the idea itself is a glorious unificity that did not need to separate itself into so many distinct singularities.....to paraphrase a brother : "bleh"

i think i need a nap now....catch you later,

ron

#300336 - 08/23/09 10:12 PM Re: For Tarantino fans ****Triggering**** [Re: Sans Logos]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I saw this one yesterday with a couple friends. Typical Tarantino, not that that's a bad thing. Jay you are right about that revenge bit. When the main character goes for revenge, it is spread on heavy. I was big into Kill Bill.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#307169 - 10/19/09 08:01 PM Re: For Tarantino fans ****Triggering**** [Re: FormerTexan]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa
This post struck me a while back and I've been thinking a lot about revenge. And I must admit, the idea of revenge often does sound tempting, and I honestly think that it could be quite "closing," so to speak.

However, a quick thought for anyone wanting to answer this. If I am inflicting revenge, it sounds awesome, empowering, almost righteous. But what if someone was getting revenge on me in some way, shape or form? Would I like that or want it to stop? So, should I even consider that side of the coin when thinking about revenge myself? In other words, for those who think revenge is a good idea, how would you feel if someone treated you in a similar manner? And does that impact your own thoughts on revenge? Or should revenge be launched without any such deep thinking and we just "go for it?"

Been pondering this a lot, been having a lot of feelings of wanting revenge for all kinds of shit, especially what my abuser did to me. Not that I'm necessarily going to act on it, but it has led me to a wealth of questions that I feel the need to sort out. So, any input is greatly appreciated. smile

KenL

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

"I quite often remember to forget these sorts of things."
-Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie

#307367 - 10/20/09 09:43 PM Re: For Tarantino fans ****Triggering**** [Re: lars3229]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have thought a lot about revenge. I have imagined some pretty harsh violence I could inflict upon the person who violated me. And at times it even seemed like there could be some peace gained from such actions.

But honestly I don't know if I would really find true peace in such an act. In fact, I would probably just become more trapped after having done such a thing. I don't know this for sure, but I think true peace would come over time in letting it go as best I can.

I don't claim to be the perfect person and certainly I have done things that hurt others that what if they wanted to exact revenge upon me? What makes my revenge justified and theirs not? In my heart of hearts I'd like to think my being was corrupted by the bad stuff that happened to me and influenced most of my negative behaviors. In fact I am certain this is most probable to case. But that is no excuse for my own actions and doesn't nullify anyone else wanting to see me suffer.

So even though I get thoughts of revenge in my head from time to time (especially when I get down over my life or am depressed by where things are at), I feel in the end the best healing will happen when I am able to let go enough to not feel the attachment of the "other" who brought on so much pain in my life.

Eric

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.