Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12487 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447615 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#303307 - 09/19/09 01:43 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Roofus]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
No, before Donny & Marie there was an act called the the Osmond Brothers, at about the same time that the Jackson 5 was big. Donny was the young voice of the Osmond Brothers just like Michael Jackson was the young voice of the Jackson 5.

For bonus points which one of those two crooners did the song "Puppy Love"???

#303309 - 09/19/09 01:53 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Trucker51]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Donny did the Puppy song.

How many points in a bonus?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Theme to Rocky now playing in my head and running up the steps. Also, in my mind.

#303791 - 09/23/09 01:01 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Roofus]
alan55 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
It was the Osmonds first - on the Andy Williams Show around 65 or 66. I drove my folks crazy playing White Rabbit over and over in the summer of 67...and listening to soul music (Temptations,AL Green, Marvin Gaye,etc) and my folks also not liking that. Hearing on the radio that Bobby Kennedy had been assassinated near where I lived. Watching the CBS evening news with Walter Cronkite and seeing the number of the Viet Nam war dead on a sign behind him - and seeing it change during the broadcast. Watching Wagon Train on Friday nights.Being amazed at color TV and watching Batman and That Girl "in color" at a neighbors house because the sets were expensive and my folks couldn't afford one yet. Going over to the neighbors house when they bought a new Mercury Monterey convertible. Trying to get used to the taste of Tang. Watching the moon landing/walk in the summer of 69. Being amazed when my cousins got an automatic garage door opener. Seeing someone on a car phone in the late 50's and thinking how cool (Paul Drake had one on Perry Mason). Oh, well...I'll quit for the night. This was fun....

#303901 - 09/23/09 08:23 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: alan55]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
The ancient one returns.

The very first TV set that i had seen was at my friends house. It had a very small screen, but later his father bought a magnafing type glass to make the picture bigger.
Then to make it a "color" TV, there was a piece of sort of plastic and at the top it was blue (for the sky i guess). and at the bottom it was green (for the grass/ground).
It was a very primitve new fangled contraption, to say the least.

" I will take that lost boys hand, and i will lead him from the depths of darkness,into the sunlight forever into eternity".

Heal well my brothers, heal well.

Little Pete & Big Pete...but 1 (Irishmoose).

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#308980 - 11/02/09 02:39 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: petercorbett]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

Originally Posted By: petercorbett
The ancient one returns.

father bought a magnafing type glass to make the picture bigger.
Then to make it a "color" TV, there was a piece of sort of plastic and at the top it was blue (for the sky i guess). and at the bottom it was green (for the grass/ground).

omg.. and .. u rented the VCR along with the tape?! n whats with the dot being hit by two lines??

this was funny laugh but nice also

#308982 - 11/02/09 03:07 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Daniel_forgotten]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Our first TV was an RCA 21-inch black and white picture-tube TV with a VHF dial tuner and no UHF, no remote-control either. It got channels 2 to 13 only. There was no cable TV available back in the early 1960s, nor any such thing as a VCR either. In Detroit, we got Channels 2, 4, 7, and 9, and that was it. Big Time Wrestling was on Saturday mornings, anyone remember Haystack Calhoun??? He was the heaviest of the heavyweight wrestlers on Saturday morning TV back then.

I also remember my dad having to fix the TV several times. We would go to the drug store with a handful of TV tubes, and use their Tube-Tester to see if they were any good or not. Usually all that you had to do to fix the TV was replace the tubes when they went bad. When I was maybe 10 or 11 we finally got a 17-inch color TV that also had a UHF tuner, so we could get Channels 20, 50, and 56 in Detroit too!!! I watched a lot of Gilligan's Island on that TV when I was a kid, the Munster's, Lost in Space, and the Brady Bunch too!!! I didn't have cable TV until 1978 when I was sharing an apartment with a friend from work, and even then our cable didn't have but 24 channels. I don't remember having a VCR until late in the 1980s, though my dad bought a huge old Beta-format VCR when it first came out around the mid-1980s. I still have his old Beta VCR plus two tapes for it if anyone needs one!!!

Mark

#309320 - 11/04/09 05:34 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Trucker51]
mapleleafsn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eastern Canada
I do believe it was Paul Anka that first performed Puppy Love

#309686 - 11/08/09 10:43 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Trucker51]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Haystack Calhoun? OMG! Guilty as charged! What about Tiger Jeet Singh? Lord Athol Layton and The Sheik?

From Wiki about Haystack Calhoun...

William Dee Calhoun (August 3, 1934 – December 7, 1989) was a professional wrestler, who used the professional name "Haystack" or "Haystacks" Calhoun. The gargantuan wrestler was one of the foremost drawing cards during the industry’s “Golden Age” of the 1950s and 1960s while sporting his trademark white T-shirt, blue overalls, and horseshoe necklace. He is recognized as being among the chief pioneers for the sport’s super-heavyweight attractions.

Tube Testers. Guilty. Lost in Space. Guilty. Oh Gawd I feel old! When we next meet Mark, you can buy me a Grey Goose martini with a shot of Geritol in it! laugh

Jim

#309696 - 11/08/09 01:39 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

This link from the Wresting Hall of Fame tells the story of Haystack(s) Calhoun with some photos, and contains the names of many other known wrestlers of that era, including Killer Kowalski. Haystack was 6'6" and weighed around 500 lbs though his media claimed that he weighed 600 lbs. Toward the end of his career he joined Vince McMahon's predecessor to the WWF/WWE, and held a championship belt for only a few months. Other regular Saturday morning entertainment that we used to watch on our giant 21-inch black and white TV were the Three Stooges, The Honeymooners, and the Little Rascals, all in black & white themselves, along with shows like the Time Tunnel, Lost in Space, the Adams Family, and the Muensters, all in black & white too. I never liked Flipper as I thought that it was too cheesy. I used to like the show McHale's Navy with Ernest Borgnine, and the Rat Patrol, but my mom wouldn't let us watch Combat with Vic Morrow. Have you ever seen Soul Train in black & white??? I have. How many of you have seen the TV show F-Troop (with Larry Storch) in black & white???

http://wrestlingmuseum.com/pages/wrestlers/haystacks2.html

Mark

#309746 - 11/08/09 11:33 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Trucker51]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
How about Georgus(sp) George, the wrestler??

Oh god i'm showing my maturity.

Litle Pete & big Pete.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.