Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (myrlin, don64, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447685 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#300393 - 08/24/09 04:53 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: michael banks]
cstjude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Canada
I remember:

Donnie and Marie
Carole Burnett Show
The Partridge Family
NEW Flintstones episodes
4 (count em 4) television channels
Having to buy record player needles
45s with the little plastic inserts
Popcorn made in a cast iron pot on a gas stove
Roller skating rinks
Playing outside in the city without fear
penny candy including huge chunks of sponge toffee
sleeping on the balcony on hot nights
drive-ins in our pajamas (yes, with the speaker on the window)
A & W trays on the car windows too
8-tracks of ABBA
Solid Gold Dancers
Watching the same movie 3 times on a rainy day (you only paid once)
Everyone smoking (and I mean everyone), all the time (if they were conscious, they were smoking)
14 foot Chrysler Cordobas and Pontiac LeMans
crank car windows
the first digital watches
the first pocket calculators
the 1976 Montreal Olympics
Dorothy Hammill
Mark Hammill
The Bee Gees
Olivia Newton-John
Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun (still the saddest song ever)

#300508 - 08/25/09 03:33 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: cstjude]
JohnF Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TX
Its funny, half the kids I command weren't born when I joined the Army in 1985. Every so often we have these discussions.

We had a rotary phone...mounted on the wall in the kitchen. There wasn't a such thing as privacy.

My parents' 1,200 sq ft, 3 bedroom/ 1 bathroom ranch house wasn't a "starter home".

We had six TV Channels... ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, channel 38 (where you could watch all 162 Red Sox games for FREE), and channel 56 (which showed The Creature Double Feature every Saturday afternoon). There was a cop show on every night...Kojack, Hawaii 50, Police Story, Police Woman, The FBI, Adam 12, and The Rockford Files. On Saturday we got a break... Emergency was on.

I remember Morgan Freeman and Rita Moreno...on The Electric Company.

The TV antenna had to face a different direction for each channel, and there was a three by five card taped to the box with the dial that turned the antenna up on the roof.

On Friday nights we ate take out fish and chips, that came wrapped in newspaper.

I remember my allowance was 55 cents a week...and if you waited for a coupon in the Sunday paper you could by a Matchbox Car for 35 cents.

I remember the Five and Dime Store in the shopping center, next to the Butcher Shop. I remember running in there to buy flashbulbs for my dad's camera.

I remember being amazed when my uncle brought his Polaroid Land Camera to the house with pictures that developed themselves in minutes.

I remember watching film strips in school.

I remember stopping at road side stands to buy twelve ears of sweet corn for a dollar.

I played little league through high school baseball with wood bats and the same glove.

My mom drove a 1968 Ford Country Squire Wagon complete with vent windows, and AM radio, and vinyl seats.

My dad drove a 1974 Chevy C10 pickup with no carpet, no headliner, and a 3 speed on the column. This was when you bought a pick up because you couldn't afford a car.

I remember the 1975 World Series and my parents letting me stay up late for Game 6 when Carlton Fisk hit THE homerun.

I remember when the Celtics were great and the Patriots sucked.

I remember Yaz's 3,000th hit, and seeing Jim Rice play for the Pawtucket Red Sox where one night he made two errors in Left Field and hit three home runs.

During the summer my mom sent us outside at 8 am and didn't want us back in the house until dinner time.

I remember having to tape a penny to the needle of the record player so it didn't skip when I played the first album I ever bought (Al Stewart's Year of the Cat).

I remember hearing on the radio that Elvis died while driving home from the library.

I remember my parents putting me to bed one night and telling me to pray for the Apollo 13 astronauts.

I remember my dad having to pay $120 dollars for a Texas Instruments calculator he needed for work. It added, subtracted, divided, mulitiplied and did square roots. It took a weird battery and had a red LED read out.

I remember buying a Sony Walkman, it was the size of a paperback book.

I remember my uncle taking me to the theater to see Star Wars.

I remember being the junior altar boy and getting stuck with 7 a.m. Mass for months, until someone new came along and I could move up to 9:30.

#300531 - 08/25/09 06:19 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: michael banks]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Just like Mike said, I had the big bell bottoms, the Elton John boots, and the hair down to the middle of my back, to go with my black leather jacket, back in high school from 1972-1975. Man I was cool, I looked like a rock star back then.

Remember light bulb ovens in gas stations before microwave's? You would unwrap the sandwich and put it in the chrome light bulb oven so that a couple of 150-watt bulbs could heat it up? It only took a few minutes to get it warm.

I remember riding in the back of my parent's station wagon, just like the "Family Truckster" in National Lampoon's movie Vacation. My folks had a 1965 Pontiac full-size wagon, then a 1969 Chrysler Town & Country wagon, then a 1973 Plymouth wagon. How does 10 mpg or less strike you as we drove all over America, staying at Holiday Inns?

I remember drive-in movies too. Mom & dad would pile us into the big station wagon and dad would back the car into the parking space so that him and mom could make-out in the front seat while the kids were firmly distracted in the back seat. Years ago it used to be $3.00 for a carload at the drive-in, often for two or even three movies. Drive-ins even had kiddie playgrounds. I remember in high school, after our local drive-in had begun charging by the head, covering my friends in blankets and sneaking several of them in. There is only one drive-in left in Denver, the 88 Drive-in in Commerce City, on the corner of 88th Avenue and Quebec.

Before ATM's the drive-thru window at the American National Bank in Kalamazoo was open until 9:00 PM on Friday and until 3:00 PM on Saturday, which were unheard-of hours for a bank. In 1979 the regular hours at Ameritrust in Cleveland were 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM M/Tu/Th, 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM on Friday, and 9:30 AM to Noon on Saturday, and closed on Wednesday. Almost all businesses took checks back then, and you could always cash your paycheck at many bars. Who needs a bank when you can go straight from work to a neighborhood bar?

I remember roller rinks too, though I was never very good at roller skating. I was better at ice skating on the frozen lake behind my parent's house. We used to snow ski as a family, back when an all-day ticket was $8 or less. All the small ski areas around Detroit offered night skiing for $5 or less which was really popular with the kids. Nothing like hiding in the woods with your friends while night skiing!!!

I remember the 1967 World Series where the Red Sox weren't able to overcome Bob Gibson's Cardinals, and the 1968 Series, when my Detroit Tigers staged a miraculous comeback from being down 3 games to 1 against the same Cardinals. I remember the Tiger's team plane returning from St. Louis having to be diverted from Detroit Metro to Willow Run Airport because there were fans running across the runways at Metro. I was in 6th grade and our teacher brought a TV to school so that we could watch all of the games, which back then were day games not night games. I was at Tiger Stadium when the Tigers beat the Red Sox on the next to last day of the 1972 season to clinch the AL East. Unfortunately the Tigers were then trounced by the Oakland A's in the AL playoff.

I was a Tigers and Red Wings fan as a kid, and a Cleveland Brown's fan when I lived in Cleveland. When I lived in Cleveland it was a regular pastime of my friends and I to head down to the old "Mistake on the Lake" stadium and sit in general admission for $2.50 for Indians games. There were often so few fans there that our own beer vendor would come and sit with us waiting for us to need another one. I remember it was so quiet there that we would have a conversation with the Indians right-fielder Cory Snyder between innings from 10 rows back in the seats.

Nowadays it is $90 to ski Vail, and $30+ for a good seat at a Rockies' game comparable to the $2.50 seat in Cleveland 25 years ago. Our movie theaters are getting $11 for one movie at night, plus $4 for a soda and $5 for a bag of popcorn. At least gas is still cheap here at $2.39/gallon, because 10 days ago in LA the only station under $3.00/gallon was Arco. If I buy $100 worth of groceries at King I get 10 cents per gallon off too. Back in 1977 when I lived in Kalamazoo I could buy an entire week's groceries at Meijer for under $20. Try that these days!!!

I remember the first time that my roommate and I had cable TV. It cost $9 per month for 17 channels that included WOR out of NYC with the "Crazy Eddie" and security door commercials, plus WGN out of Chicago with Harry Carey and the Cub's games. This was in 1978 when I lived for a year in Kent, OH where Kent State University is. Back then I worked in a huge factory running a big lathe making $9.31/hour and I was a regular at the college bars in Kent. I would have to be making $40-$50/hour now to match my buying power nowadays to what it was in 1979. My roommate and I shared a 2-story 2-bedroom townhouse that rented for $190/month. God we lived good back then, when I had my black Dodge party van with the chrome wheels and no windows just roof vents. Imagine my old black & white avatar, driving the black party van, working at the factory on 2nd shift, hanging-out at the college bars, living on $400 per week with my rent and utilities at $125/month??? What a life!!!

Nowadays I struggle to make my $1500 monthly house payment at HOA on my $300,000 house. At least $450/month is now going into equity. Sometimes I think that I should sell, move to the mountains, and buy a double-wide or a cabin on some acreage outright and just take it easy. My current $33K retirement income would go a lot further if I did. In 7 years I will get another $450/month from a whole life policy that I started when I was age 30, and the same year I can begin making withdrawals on my 401K and IRA without penalty. And if there is any left, I could likely begin drawing my Social Security in 10 years at age 62 or wait until age 66 for a 50% increase in monthly value. It sounds so easy until I think of inflation and the financial struggles of some elderly people that I know, who never thought that everything would cost 5 times as much as it did 20 years ago.

My advice to the younger members is to save as much money as you can toward retirement. I once figured-out that if you saved $2000 for retirement every year starting at age 25 that you would have $500K to retire on at age 65 with the interest. Just $40 per week gets you a comfortable retirement if you start early enough, but you have to stay with it and not allow its value to tempt you. Look for a decent whole life policy like those offered at Metropolitan Insurance that will give you a lump sum at age 59 or a monthly stipend for life. My advice is to buy at least $100K worth, which will yield $900/month for life at age 59 or a lump sum which you will then use to pay-off your mortgage and credit cards. I also recommend doing some walking, as it will save gas and keep you in better shape too.

Just remember, retirement life will be much easier if you plan for it early.

Mark

#300536 - 08/25/09 08:16 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Trucker51]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Mark,

It is all a matter of when you grew up. I can remember back in the 70's listen to my grandmother complaining about how prices were compared to when she grew up in the 20's and 30's. I think as people age their outlook on life gets more pessimistic. When your young your life is all ahead of you and you feel that anything is possible. As you get older you see those possibles becoming fewer and fewer and you feel life has past you by.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#301419 - 09/03/09 04:31 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: michael banks]
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
That was a very cool thread! I laughed my ass off! Yes, I'm so old that I still write all the words out - if that tells you anything! In just a few years, my 2 year-old son is going to be so embarrassed to have me as his dad! I can't wait! smile

Brian

#301420 - 09/03/09 05:35 AM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Brian]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Speaking of your son, how about some new pics Brian? They change so fast, he must be after your car keys by now! laugh

Jim

#301477 - 09/03/09 01:31 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: Geeders]
garr Offline

I'm only 36 (well almost 37), but I remember most of the stuff mentioned.

#301535 - 09/03/09 09:03 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: garr]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington

Edited by 1islandboy (09/03/09 09:21 PM)
Edit Reason: double trouble

#301536 - 09/03/09 09:06 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: garr]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
I remember when I went hi-tech (an 8-track tape player with a cassette adapter).

Zots were cool as a candy(and in places are still available).

So is Junkit (but the trick is to find milk that is not past*your*eyes*ed, or it wont set up/curdle.

I wonder how many people under 40 even know what Junkit is.

Oh...Before I forget...I actually got to swim with Telly Savalas (Kojak) at the Hilton, while visiting California. He was cool, but there was an odd sort that hung out in the lobby and wanted to help me carry everything. (his mother must have dressed him as he looked like a penguin).

Evil Grows (Terry Jacks)

island

#301542 - 09/03/09 09:24 PM Re: The Over 40 Crowd [Re: 1islandboy]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I am sooooo looking forward to doing a post like this in 20 years time lol smile

It's really nice to here you guys reminiscing

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.