Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (hike1972, new horizons, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443352 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#298602 - 08/09/09 05:39 PM Attended a church today...
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
Today I attended a fairly new denominational church that was very eye opening for me. The mass was conducted in a makeshift auditorium with the choir consisting of rock musical instruments and the parishoners came in with flip flops and their coffees. It was a cultural shock if I might say in that I was so used to a traditional Catholic service where everything and everyone are much more conservative. I didn't have any objections with it as this country was built on the freedom to choose on how you practice your religion. I was actually intrigued by it in that the whole experience reminded me of how simple it is to create a gathering of the faithful - sort of like how the Pagans congregated during the birth of Christianity. As a matter of fact I was honored to be part of such a spiritual gathering. I felt the vibrant energy as the choir sang their songs while the congregation sang along with the help of nifty flat screen monitors showing the lyrics. Looking at the entire service objectively, I can see how it can provide comfort and order; a sort of weekly social to stay connected with others in a safe environment where one can have the opportunity to quiet the storms in their lives and meditate.

However, my comfort level started to deteriorate when the pastor started his sermon. Last week he talked about the spiritual connotations that can be interpreted from the movie, "The Dark Knight". Today he talked about the metaphorical and literal significance behind the movie, "Babel". After showing a brief clip of the movie trailer, he explained the biblical reference of how God prevented the formation of a uniform language as depicted in the Book of Genesis. I have to admit I am ignorant about the Bible and a little dissuaded with the long lasting debate of Creationists vs Evolutionists. Needless to say I have issues about the hearsay accounts depicted in the Bible. History is written by the victors and not all accounts of history are objective and factual. I do believe in God and the many wonders and complexities this world consists of. I've been in recovery a while now to realize that God works in mysterious ways and that everything happens for a reason. I'm just wondering if any of you can recommend a spiritual gathering who embraces homosexuality, liberal thinking and the search, as well as sharing, of truth and wisdom? There is a flock out there just for me...

#298614 - 08/09/09 07:58 PM Re: Attended a church today... [Re: GentleSoul]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Hi G.S.

Several of my gay friends attend the Metropolitan Community Church in Toronto. I think there is one near you as well. Maybe give them a look?

http://themetchurch.org/

Jim

#298623 - 08/09/09 08:49 PM Re: Attended a church today... [Re: Geeders]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Gentle Soul,

You might try looking up the Anglican Congregation in your area. I think in the US they're called the Episcopal Church, but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone here will correct me. As I understand it this denomination has come down on the side of embracing all sexual identities going as far as to ordain a homosexual priest/bishop, whatever they are called in that organization.

#298628 - 08/09/09 09:29 PM Re: Attended a church today... [Re: GentleSoul]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
check out mcc san diego.

your life will never be the same!!! [i mean that in a good way!]

just got back from their regional conference, and it was just indescribable.

their international conference is going to be in acapulco. not to be missed!

let us know how it goes.

all the best,

ron

#298762 - 08/10/09 07:44 PM Re: Attended a church today... [Re: Sans Logos]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Manhattan
Thanks Ron. I've heard so much about MCC. I'll definitely check them out.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.