Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (aniceguy, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443342 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#298175 - 08/05/09 10:01 PM Amazon through Malesurvivor
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I was looking at books the other day on Amazon.co.uk (which is what comes up first from google for me since my google is uk) and then decided to look at Amazon through linking from our bookstore by clicking on the icon.

I found that this site links to Amazon.com (obviously), but i realised it has a much better range of books than Amazon.co.uk, at least for what i was looking at.

Why should there be a difference between .com and .co.uk? and is somebody in the uk allowed to use .com?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#298190 - 08/05/09 11:44 PM Re: Amazon through Malesurvivor [Re: king tut]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I think it just has to with the demand in UK. US is the origin of Amazon and they have several warehouses in the US. They must have millions of customers with a wide range of items in demand.

However I have occasionally shopped the UK site for musical items. They have a richer variety of horn recordings than the US web site.

Allen

pufferfish

#298194 - 08/05/09 11:49 PM Re: Amazon through Malesurvivor [Re: pufferfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Somewhere I have heard that your British government likes to limit access to certain kinds of reading material and that anything sold there has to be on their approved list. Perhaps you should try to order something from here that isn't offered there and see if you can get it shipped there or not.

Mark

#298211 - 08/06/09 12:47 AM Re: Amazon through Malesurvivor [Re: Trucker51]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have ordered books from Amazon.co.uk that were not available here in the states without problem other than they were bloody expensive! Dunno if it can be done the other way around or not.

I do know that if you enter Amazon.com through our bookstore portal MS earns a small percentage on every dollar you spend but the price is the same as using Amazon in the normal way.

#298243 - 08/06/09 06:45 AM Re: Amazon through Malesurvivor [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Lewis,

The two sites are different companies, both owned by the Amazon group. They have different books partly because books published in one country are sometimes not licensed for another. This is an especially big problem for English-language books moving between the USA and the UK, but the same issue pops up with French-language books between France and Quebec and Spanish books between Spain and Central and South America.

In general you will find a greater selection on Amazon.com, the American site, simply because its market base is a whole continent. The prices are lower as well. In principle you can buy from Amazon.com, but shipping to the UK can be expensive and in the Amazon Marketplace there will be sellers who don't ship abroad because they aren't set up to deal with the customs complications.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.