Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
9 registered (blockade, CafeMan, SoccerStar, 4 invisible), 66 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62500 Topics
438058 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#298473 - 08/08/09 12:18 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
After thinking about this movie some more, I realize that there are a lot of parallels between this presentation of Star Trek Hero Worship and what I have seen of my own problems. Somebody really knowledgable must have either written the>

#298476 - 08/08/09 01:01 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: pufferfish]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey guys,

Thanks to king tut for posting the info on that Next Gen episode. That is a nice piece of work. I also thought that was a great analysis of the episode...really thoughtful and clear. Lots of food for thought. I gotta thank you for something...somehow that set off this memory of always thinking I was a bad child, but long before I met my perp. That's my really vague time in terms of remembering the childhood, so I'm very grateful for any extra piece of the puzzle. I hope I can find out more about that once I start therapy.

jacobtk, don't know that Batman incarnation, but I get it.

thanks,

#298520 - 08/08/09 10:25 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? my humor [Re: Jim1961]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: Jim1961
Originally Posted By: sono
Jim1961, I'd like to ask you to share more about what your T says about Spock/disasociation...I haven't found one yet...I feel like I can almost see where that is going. I also feel like I need a better handle on exactly what dissociation is...

Sono,

This was my attempt at humor:

Originally Posted By: jim1961
Now my T tells me how being "Spock" is somehow related to dissociation. Is that logical?? Hmmm....

I'm not a doctor but my T tells me I have "mild dissociation." My experience is that whenever I am triggered (emotions stirred up), I go numb. Its like disconnecting from the emotions (sound like Spock?).

My challenge (and frustration) is that it is a reflex. I don't consciously think "time to go numb", it just happens. It's especially frustrating because I do it often in my T sessions. My T consistently reminds me that it is safe. But that part of me doesn't listen or care apparently...

I have no doubt that it was a coping mechanism that kept me from jumping off a bridge. Doesn't serve me at all now as an adult.

There have been many posts regarding dissociation. Do a search.

Jim

I'm a miner, Jim! Not a doctor! (tongue in cheek from the part about Bones complaining about not being a bricklayer....

#298543 - 08/09/09 01:33 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? my humor [Re: LilacLouie]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK Louie,

I feel like a minor a lot of the time.

It's just that Data is a robot or 'droid'. They don't feel emotion. They are machines.

Some guys who have experienced trauma turn off their ability to feel emotions, just like you turn off the water in your sink. This is called dissociation. They do it so that they won't feel pain. But then they have trouble feeling love and joy as well.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (08/09/09 02:28 PM)
Edit Reason: clarify

#298556 - 08/09/09 09:17 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? my humor [Re: pufferfish]
LilacLouie Offline

I never knew that Allen. Golly, being molested 30+ years ago, raped 22 years ago, sexually assaulted 18 years and 2 years ago, physically accosted a number of times, I must have had my own attempts at rehab handed to me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by LilacLouie (08/09/09 09:18 AM)

#298579 - 08/09/09 02:38 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

This refers to the movie Hero Worship from Star Trek TNG discussed above.

I watched this again. I have found it to be extremely healing for me.

I think it must work something like Gestalt therapy.

http://www.psychologistanywhereanytime.c...alt_therapy.htm

Thank you guys, esp Sono and Lewis who pointed this out to us.

Allen

pufferfish (puffing again whistle )

Edited by pufferfish (08/09/09 05:41 PM)
Edit Reason: took out unhelpful quotes

#299303 - 08/14/09 03:26 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pardon me please for replying to my own post.

I just want to emphasize the healing nature of watching a bunch of vids. But they have to be constructive vids. A child who is isolated or withdrawn will not make good social progress. This may be what is identified as social intelligence.

Watching videos is a way for such an adult kid to make rapid progress in the social intelligence area.

I can supply a long list of constructive vids. I have also listed elsewhere a list of healing videos.

Allen

pufferfish

#299305 - 08/14/09 03:52 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: pufferfish]
LilacLouie Offline

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
I just want to emphasize the healing nature of watching a bunch of vids. But they have to be constructive vids.

I agree, both constructive & educational, but I assume those pretty much go hand in hand, right?

A child who is isolated or withdrawn will not make good social progress. This may be what is identified as social intelligence.

Correct. BTDT. And even with today's technology, webcam contact, though live, is not sufficient. Live, in-person, contact is necessary.

Watching videos is a way for such an adult kid to make rapid progress in the social intelligence area.

Hmmm, really? Please explain.

I can supply a long list of constructive vids. I have also listed elsewhere a list of healing videos.

The list would be greatly appreciated!

#299330 - 08/14/09 06:28 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: LilacLouie]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: LilacLouie
Hmmm, really? Please explain.

No it's not the same as real experience. When a guy injects himself into the plot and into the characters, it is called projection by psychologists. The guy learns vocabulary and social mores of the people in the flik.

Originally Posted By: LilacLouie

The list would be greatly appreciated!

OK I'm going to have to transfer my list from Netflix to a file format. It'll take until maybe tomorrow to accomplish this. Then I can post it here. It consists of a bunch of films. Start with the list of healing films. I give a link below:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...true#Post294141

Here is the one from Star Trek:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...8579#Post298579

Please remember that some items on my list may not appeal to you and others. Everybody's list is going to be different. So pick and choose. I recommend subscribing to Netflix.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Edited by pufferfish (08/15/09 06:21 PM)

#300615 - 08/26/09 04:27 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: pufferfish]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
sono,

It was good talking to you in chat today.
I have been reading some of your post in an effort to get to know you better.
I can relate to being very unemotional in an effort to be in control of what is going on in my life. To me to be emotional is too be out of controll and I hate feeeling out of control.
I like Spock but he was not my ideal of being a man. Mine was John Wayne. To me he was bigger than life and had the ability to always be able to come out on top no matter haw many indians or bad guys he had to fight. No matterr what he never seem to be afraid and that was what I so much wanted not to feel being afraid. Because I always felt fear in relation to what was happening in my life. I swear I was always afraid of people beginning with my mother and father.

Another idol was Conan. Can you guess why?

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.