Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
4 registered (ytamassa, Going forward, traveler, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63396 Topics
443250 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#297878 - 08/03/09 02:13 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: Sans Logos]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I can relate to the Spock role model - especially from the not showing emotions part. I used to feel I shouldn't let anyone see how I feel. Went so far as to try not to smile if I was happy.

This reminds me of a time when some friends and I sat around and talked about who our favorite comic book hero was. Mine was the Phantom*, another character who held himself apart and wore a mask.

Live long and prosper :-)

Mike

#297880 - 08/03/09 02:23 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: mike5]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

I enjoyed escaping in cartoons and movies. My Favorite cartoon even to today is "Garfield" and my favorite movie is the original Wizard Of Oz.

I was going to be my own best father, brother, cuz, etc. Non of which I could do on my own.

Peace,
DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#297885 - 08/03/09 03:24 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: DJsport]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I understand where you are coming from, I have my moments (okay months) that I feel the same way, and loss of control is the enemy.

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#297891 - 08/03/09 03:58 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: sono
I recently saw that episode of TNG in which a little boy whose parents have been killed tries to emulate Data so he wouldn't have to feel anything. I got it!

I saw that episode too (after i had already taken Data as a kind of role model of course- but unlike that episode i found my admiration of Data useful for those long and tedious nights of maths homework where you had to tell yourself to be obedient and unfeeling and also convince yourself that you are capable).

It really was strange seeing that the writer had somehow managed to pick up on this feeling which i guess many people must have felt. I am quite convinced that the writer understood more about that dynamic than spoken. How that kid moves his head robotically side to side and says that his movements are only approximations of human movements. How he falls asleep with data whilst painting because actually he is just a boy and does need sleep. The episode is called "Hero Worship" and i recommend it.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#297898 - 08/03/09 04:49 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: Sans Logos]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Sono,

What an interesting thread you have started. Thank you.

I remember at age 12 I was at the boy scout camp. I was looking for a role model. The young man who was in charge of our camp site seemed like such a likely candidate. He was tall and had a lot of bearing. He seemed to be doing something for another scout.

We all had to have or to make lanyards made of colorful strands of gimp. I didn't know how to brade them and he was standing at the tent flap of another scout braiding a lanyard for him. So I asked him if he would show me how to braid the gimp lanyards. He started showing me. But there was something terribly intense about his voice and method that I really couldn't concentrate on what he was saying.

Then at lunch time 9 of us sat around a table with him at the head. I was wearing a kerchief tie I had made at home from some plastic wood. He ordered me to take that piece of s--- off. At first I tried to ignore him. Then he raised his voice and inserted more invectives. So I took it off. It wasn't until 30 years later I realized he was sizing me up to be his next victim.

The scout manual supposedly warns kids against improper activities. But it probably doesn't say anything about what sociopaths are and how they can manipulate and even destroy their victims. That might unduly "scare" the poor kids. sick

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#297931 - 08/03/09 09:38 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: mike5]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I just recalled that my other role model as a kid was Jacques Cousteau. I think it was because I feel safer on the water. On land, when there are trees and buildings around, it is harder for me to watch my back...

Mike

#297937 - 08/03/09 10:27 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: mike5]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi guys,

It seems like we were creative in taking what we saw as useful ways to cope from the much maligned TV. Not mention just plain escaping...maybe TV's not so bad after all...can't believe I just said that. Seeing all the people who used turning off the emotions and hearing some of myself in all the responses makes me realize I need to try and break through that wall about my childhood and try and feel something about that. I feel like I'm pretty good with allowing myself current emotions, (less good in dealing with them, but at least they're there) but I can't find much to feel about my childhood.

Sans logos mentioned some real life heros he had and he sounds very lucky in having a lot of great people right there to show him the way.

Pufferfish mentions a perp posing as real life role model...this is one I can relate to. I'm thinking a lot about the mind control exerted by my perp these days and that certainly began by presenting himself as someone to emulate.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and good thoughts and vibes, I really appreciate it more than I can say.

sono

#297938 - 08/03/09 11:10 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Spock as a role model? In my case I desperately wanted to BE Spock. He was emotion-less AND he had power (that Vulcan grip thing, mind melding, etc.)

I was a Trekkie from age 9 (yes I was watching re-runs). I watched every episode at least 20 times.

I was really impressed with the latest Star Trek movie. Precisely because of the way they explored Spock's childhood. Fascinating...

Now my T tells me how being "Spock" is somehow related to dissociation. Is that logical?? Hmmm....

Jim

My Story

#297940 - 08/03/09 11:42 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: Jim1961]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi Guys.

Ok here we go again, from the ancient one.

Brian Kieth. He was the father that I never had.

It was a TV sitcom, where he was a dad to a boy and girl. If my ancient memory serves me right he was a single parent too.
I think that one of the kids name was Buffy.

Maybe, Allen or Mark might remember the name.

That is if they want to reveal their age.

"I will take that lost boys hand, and I will lead him from the depths of darkness into the sunlight, forever into eternity".

Heal well my brothers/friends.

Little Pete & big Pete.

Edited by petercorbett (08/04/09 08:54 AM)
Edit Reason: remembered a name.
May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#297945 - 08/04/09 01:05 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: petercorbett]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
role model? That was Barnabus Collins. hands down - no doubt about it. Spock was kewl with the "all logic" approach - but Barnabus was dark and accepted it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.