Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
4 registered (lapchinj, tbkkfile, sadclown, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63218 Topics
442045 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#297771 - 08/02/09 09:08 AM Spock as role model?? got your own?
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi, This is one of my first posts (my first time beginning a thread)and haven't put up my story yet, but I don't think my details are important in this question. In spite of the subject, this didn't land here from a Sci Fi forum!

The question or conversation topic is; do any of you old enough remember having used Mr. Spock from Star Trek as a role model?

He had two halves- many of us were living two lives;
had problems reconciling those different halves - check...
had problems then, do now;
the unemotional one takes over in the emotional situations-
the unemotional one still does that, a lot;
every now and then when the right situation occurs he loses control and all hell breaks lose-oh yes!

Hope this isn't too silly, but I remember consciously trying to adopt that manner as a kid, and as I grew up I laughed at myself for imitating a TV character as a kid, while at the same time perfecting that persona, only now calling it growing up and normal. I'm really good at the Spock thing, which is indeed useful at times when the hysterics of others don't help so much...car accidents, out of control broken lawn sprinklers...less helpful when your wife is trying to get you to connect or work on an issue of importance to her in your marriage.

I hope you guys take this question the way I mean it, as an ice breaker of sorts, but also as a serious question creating a different persona to deal with difficult things and if that persona was modeled on anyone else be it a real person, fiction character or someone you made up.

thanks guys,

sono

#297772 - 08/02/09 09:24 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
not sure I had a snoopy stuffed animal,
I do not think I pretended to be someone.

I just kept busy or spent time with friends
I did want to be like my dad who died when I was 12
I looked up to him

I would have been yogi bear it would have thought about it

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#297779 - 08/02/09 01:22 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: michael Joseph]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I remember Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk when they were on primetime TV once every week, though he wasn't my role model growing-up. You have an interesting take on why you were drawn to look-up to his character though. I preferred more of a detached and hardened character myself, like Clint Eastwood's character in some of his westerns or even in the early part of his Dirty harry series. My guess is that someday I hoped to be able to be like Inspector Callahan when someone tried the wrong thing on me. For some reason Martin Landau stands out in my mind in Space 1999, as well as Chad Everett in Medical Center. Then there was Detective Frank Cannon driving the old LTD that leaned the wrong way. Nobody messed with big Frank as I recall.

Anyhow, glad to meet you Sono, and hope that we continue to see more of you soon. Together we can find our freedom.

Here is a little bit of the kind of humor that I enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phteRZpLtU

Mark

#297783 - 08/02/09 01:54 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Sono, I know exactly what you are talking about, and can relate, logically of course. whistle

There were many people in our youth (yeah, thanks Mark, it IS a long time ago grin ) that we could aspire to being like. Yet despite my efforts to be like whoever was the flavour of the day, there were many days when I felt like Uncle Martin, an alien, on My Favourite Martian. Many times I felt invisible, and still do some days. I just wish I could have got that invisibility thing down right when I could have used it. Maybe I should have had a robot like Will Robinson's on Lost In Space. "Warning! Warning!"

Jim

#297786 - 08/02/09 02:24 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: Geeders]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

Trucker51, Thanks for the welcome. Good(?!) to be here...well definitely very good to have "found" here! Yeah, Spock seemed like the guy who could handle it all for me. Since my dad was a tough guy, I think I kind of wrote off that approach...didn't want to be anything like him even if I could. Funnily enough I've only recently discovered the Leone westerns with Eastwood and am way into them. I can see thinking that's be a guy to be. Man those are some "out of the past" references you make, Medical Center, Cannon, Space 1999...thank god for the escape of TV when I was a kid! Freedom you suggest? Cool, that's a concept. I was just thinking about having maybe an hour some time in my life when I don't hear my perp's voice giving me "his">

#297808 - 08/02/09 05:39 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
christianfather Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TN
I feel similar to Mr. Spock. Logical, no emotions without conflict. Trying to make 2 worlds in to one for survival. Beam me up Scotty!

#297813 - 08/02/09 07:39 PM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: christianfather]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I relate to this, although not Spock, i liked Tuvok from voyager (he is also a vulcan), but i ddin't use him as a role model or anything. Mostly i mimicked Data from Next Generation, because Data is not capable of feelings or emotions, and everything he does is just an approximation of human things- I kind of could relate to that. Also i liked how his hair was always so smart and he dressed so exactly and he was well spoken. I felt like Data sometimes, and would sometimes think how easier it would be if i could take away feelings and emotions and be like him, also be as intellignet as him.

Lewis

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#297844 - 08/03/09 01:33 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: king tut]
sono Offline
MaleSurvivor

hey christianfather and king tut, so you guys get what I mean about realizing the dude in control of his feelings could navigate the mine fields more competently that the guy whose yelling or crying and carrying on. I mean Spock and Data are the same character in the commedia dell'arte world of Trek. I recently saw that episode of TNG in which a little boy whose parents have been killed tries to emulate Data so he wouldn't have to feel anything. I got it! So much of the literature about recovery talks about learning to feel again...I can feel pretty well i think in general (could be wrong, who knows), but I don't know how close I am to being able to feel about SA. Detachment still seems kind of wise, I don't even know how to start trying to feel about that. Deep thoughts, I'm gonna try and work on those ideas. How to start trying to feel something about it, other than the usual day to day shit that intrudes on my life, which is so over played by now that I can't even conjure up feelings about that other than, here we go again.

OK, my thoughts are more coherent than the words, so time to close the computer!

thanks guys,

sono

#297845 - 08/03/09 01:51 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
Spock was my role model, because he had control over himself. He showed no emotion.

#297856 - 08/03/09 09:17 AM Re: Spock as role model?? got your own? [Re: sono]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
looking back, i think it strange that i had no 'heroes' in my family...no people that i 'looked up' to; in fact quite the opposite, i feared all of them. looking back on my father's life, i guess i can say i admired his faithfulness to his commitment to raise the 8 kids he brought into the world. but i can't say i agree with the way he went about it.

outside the family system, i admire the following people who had tremendous impact on my life; it is very odd that they are all female [and they are all musicians].....go figure:

-sr. john baptist conrad, my 6th grade music teacher who first recognized my talent
-louise doschek, my piano teahcer
-sr. mary ann moses, my church musician mentor
-ann labounsky steele, head of the organ/sacred music department at duquesne university

now the people i love and emulate and look to for guidance are my friends, a melting pot of many faiths, genders, occupations. also, i am beginning to feel greatly impressed by those monumental spirits living in the hearts of magnanimous persons whom i hardly even noticed at earlier times of my life, but recently coming to deeply appreciate. [even tho i disapprove of war as a solution, i have to give props to all the people who put their lives at risk to keep this country safe, thereby giving all of us a safe place from which to exist] there are far too many to name, but many of of my role model/heroes i meet here as i read of their stories and struggles.

it's funny how as i change, my idea of what constitutes being a hero/role model changes.

all the best,

ron

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.