Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (Tanis2105, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447955 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#296696 - 07/24/09 07:01 PM Up Coming Vermont legislation
BohemianGuy Offline

Loc: CT and Colorado
PASS VERMONT H-17 EMAIL

I am doing some work with the Vermont legislature trying to get House Bill 17 passed this January. In effect the statute ends the statute of limitations for criminal assault of a child going forward. It also does the same for the civil statute and also provides a clause to end the civil statute retroactively. THE RETROACTIVE PART IS VERY IMPORTANT on the bill as it allows people whose personal trauma may have been so great that they were not able to go to court until their statute had expired to now do so. Any victim or therapist will tell you how important this piece is to the completion of the healing process for people traumatized and assaulted sexually as children. Even if they are in they’re 60’s at this point.

I am asking anyone I know who may have friends in Vermont to write the attached people asking that they pass H-17 and above all keep in the retroactive clause on the civil statute. The Catholic Church is fighting this retroactive clause, but then the Catholic Church has proven over and over that it is more interested in its "Golden Idols" than it is in healing the souls it knowingly demolished by keeping quiet and moving pedophile priests around to different parishes where they could continue their sick behavior rather than be treated and stopped. That is the Catholic Church’s sadness it should not be the sadness of the Church’s innocent child victims.

HOWEVER this is not a Catholic Church issue it is a human rights issue. If you have friends in Vermont or therapist friends and you are OK with this PLEASE ask them to write ASAP to PassVermontH17@gmail.com and I will forward the emails to the appropriate people, but this is NOT the preferable way. The following are the main people:

We are also looking for people abused in Vermont but no longer living there. Letters not connected with people from Vermont will not be all that helpful

Committee on Judiciary
William Lippert, Chair
2751 Baldwin Rd.
Hinesburg, VT 05461

Maxine J. Grad
301 Paddy Hill Road
Moretown, VT 05660
mgrad@leg.state.vt.us

Margaret Flory
3011 U.S. Route 7
Pittsford, VT 05763
mkf3229@yahoo.com

Andrew Donaghy
P.O. Box 95
Poultney, VT 05764
adonaghy@leg.state.vt.us

Eldred French
521 Town Hill Rd.
Cuttingsville, VT 05738
efrench@leg.state.vt.us

Willem Jewett
P.O .Box 129
Ripton, VT 05766

Patti Komline
P.O. Box 781
Dorset, VT 05251

Richard Marek
P.O. Box 476
Newfane, VT 05345

Cynthia Martin
903 French Meadow Rd.
Springfield, VT 05156

Kathy Pellett
835 Quarry Rd.
Chester, VT 05143

Heidi Scheuermann
P.O. Box 908
Stowe, VT 05672

Thank you for lending your voice to this important issue. One state at a time we can win this war for healing.

The BohemianGuy

#296747 - 07/25/09 02:35 AM Re: Up Coming Vermont legislation [Re: BohemianGuy]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
That is interesting. One of my abusers lived in Gassetts, VT, which is between Chester and Ludlow. My abuse there happened in early 1974 at the hands of the patriarch of a farm family who at one time used to own the former gas station in Gassetts at the intersection of the road to Springfield. I was placed with them upon the recommendation of a family friend who also lived for many years in Gassetts in the old schoolhouse there, after I had some trouble in school in Michigan where I grew-up. Also in early 1974, I tried to hitchhike away from my abuser when I walked away from the Chester, VT high school during the lunch hour after attending there part of one day. The VT State Highway Patrol out of the Chester Barracks picked me up a couple of exits down I-91 after I had already made some progress trying to get to my aunt and uncle's house in Mass. The Highway Patrol listened to my story then called my abuser and had him pick me up and take me back to his home in Gassetts for more violent abuse.

My parent's friend from Gassetts was active in local and Statewide political issues when she lived there. Perhaps 7-10 years ago this woman moved from Gassetts to Scottsdale, AZ. I have an aunt and uncle who live in Charlotte, VT, and a cousin who is a fireman in Jericho, VT. My cousin's wife is also an EMT there. What kind of chance would I have of collecting any damages from anyone involved, including from the VT Highway Patrol, if this revision to your Statute of Limitations was enacted? Essentially I told your Highway Patrol of a serious felony sexual and physical violence crime suffered by a minor at the hands of a middle-aged adult and I wasn't believed, then I was returned to my abuser where I was forced to suffer additional violent abuse. I believe that my abuser in Gassetts is now deceased. I don't believe that the Catholic Church was involved in my victimization in VT.

Should I write to the above name from Chester, VT and give them additional pertinent facts from my case? My aunt and uncle in Charlotte, VT have also served on the Board of Selectmen there, and are politically-involved people who might very well be willing to write such a letter of support to the Legislature there in support of this proposed revision.

Things are a bit on the tight side these days, and I could use a little extra spending money.

Mark

#296908 - 07/26/09 09:15 AM Re: Up Coming Vermont legislation [Re: Trucker51]
BohemianGuy Offline

Hi sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Absolutely write them and pass on my piece and get them to write. This is a great law but only many letters will get it passed. Have them spread the word and really stress KEEPING IN THE CIVIL RETRO ACTIVE PART this is the part that many abusers and the church is trying to squash. If you want to know if you have any legal rights there you should get in touch with Jerry O'Neill a super nice lawyer really fighting for the abused he can be reached at: joneill@okglawyers.com

Peter

#296972 - 07/26/09 11:11 PM Re: Up Coming Vermont legislation [Re: BohemianGuy]
BohemianGuy Offline

where in Denver are you? If anyone can help with the legal aspect it is Jerry O'Neill. I have a home on 9th and Logan. Though I am rarely there.

Give Jerry a holler. Tell him Peter Wien sent you. But most of all you will need to get everyone you know in Vermont to write the above addresses with letters and have all their friends write letters stressing the importance of House Bill 17 and the retroactive aspect of the civil statutes for your healing. Don't make it about money and suing make it about healing and if you have a therapist have them do the same.

The Catholic Church is making it about money. We need to make it about healing and we need hundreds of letters.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.