Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
10 registered (Obi, Ocellaris, Dave PNW, 4 invisible), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63370 Topics
443123 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#295701 - 07/17/09 08:48 PM Letterman not the same any more.
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
I've been a fan of David Letterman for over 20 years now. His sometimes crude and tasteless humor hasn't put me off--even the boo-boo he made with his joke involving Sara Palin's daughter I forgave after taking everything into consideration.

But last night he described Bernie Maydoffs accountant as "his little butt-boy". "Butt-boy" was my first abusers nickname for me.

I hate to think this could be the end of such a long tradition of late night rituals of watching Letterman, but for the rest of the show I somehow felt as though I was watching a friend of my abuser. I know that's pretty silly, but it's still how I feel.

I wish I could just forget it happened. I plan to continue watching in the hopes I can just get over it, but things that remind me of my abuser seem to be pretty powerful put offs for me. frown

#295708 - 07/17/09 09:50 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Jaifian]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
letterman has clearly learned nothing from his tiff with sarah palin. he'll probably never get it. i was a faithful leno man though i don't watch conan obrien at all.

how the media lets these guys get away with this victimization humor is beyond me. well, i guess since they hold the power, they can do whatever they damn well please. it's immoral and downright disgusting.

#295709 - 07/17/09 09:53 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Jaifian]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:26 PM)

#295711 - 07/17/09 10:00 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Sans Logos]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I guess that Dave has some right to a disparaging comment for the accountant of the world's largest swindler to date. A majority of the $50 Billion lost to Madoff's scam was lost within a short distance of NYC too. Dave is walking a tightrope for ratings and his success has always lied with a harder-edged eastern US crowd, most of whom would not be offended with such language. I am sure that Dave wasn't trying to trigger you or anyone else with that particular slang usage. And I would certainly much rather watch Dave than be forced to sit through the juvenile antics of Conan. Craig Ferguson would have been a much better choice for the Tonight Show than Conan has been.

Hope that you can get beyond Dave's use of pretty common NYC slang and continue to enjoy his programming. Dave likely gets some of the credit behind Sarah Palin's resignation up in Alaska too, though she has had plenty of other scandals up there that are likely the primary reason behind her departure. I can't believe that anyone thinks that Sarah would make a good President if she can't roll with the punches that are common to our major media down here in the Lower 48.

Hope that today has been a better day for you,

Mark

#295717 - 07/17/09 10:30 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Trucker51]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
no guys, i don't think we are being too sensitive here.

it is just wrong to think of some one else's body as being ravaged as an object for their own gratification, or as a means to express their power.

triggers------->>>>>

when doug published his comment, suddenly i saw a visual in my head that i'd rather not had seen. throwing that out there in a public forum like letterman did, to make someone the brunt of a sick and sad joke, and reinforcing a stereotype just continues the cycle of victimization for males who don't match to macho profile.

not only is the act he spoke of an act of physical imprisonment, since he refers to him as his 'boy' we know he is not talking about an adult, and in the image he conjures we see a vignette of an underage 'boy' being made to do service to someone who is too powerful to resist.

he should date lorena bobbitt.

#295723 - 07/17/09 10:54 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Sans Logos]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:25 PM)

#295726 - 07/17/09 11:08 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Trucker51]
Jaifian Offline

Quote:
I guess that Dave has some right to a disparaging comment for the accountant of the world's largest swindler to date. A majority of the $50 Billion lost to Madoff's scam was lost within a short distance of NYC too. Dave is walking a tightrope for ratings and his success has always lied with a harder-edged eastern US crowd, most of whom would not be offended with such language. I am sure that Dave wasn't trying to trigger you or anyone else with that particular slang usage. And I would certainly much rather watch Dave than be forced to sit through the juvenile antics of Conan. Craig Ferguson would have been a much better choice for the Tonight Show than Conan has been.

Hope that you can get beyond Dave's use of pretty common NYC slang and continue to enjoy his programming. Dave likely gets some of the credit behind Sarah Palin's resignation up in Alaska too, though she has had plenty of other scandals up there that are likely the primary reason behind her departure. I can't believe that anyone thinks that Sarah would make a good President if she can't roll with the punches that are common to our major media down here in the Lower 48.

Hope that today has been a better day for you,

Mark

Yeah, I'm not inclined to blame Letterman. After all, in the 20+ years I've been watching him, his odds of never saying something that would trigger my abuse memories would have to be pretty slim.

Generally my attitude about such things is that I'd rather have someone out there at least attempting to make me laugh every night and sometimes doing lousy at it than not have anyone trying to make me laugh at all.

I guess it's just that until last night I pretty much never heard anyone other than my abuser use the term "butt-boy" so hearing it from Letterman kind of threw me.

So it isn't so much being indignant about Letterman's color of humor as it is just my own trigger responses that I'm dealing with.

I will say though that if a writer got fired over the Palin's daughter joke, it wouldn't bother me a bit. Even though a lot more was made of it than should have been, I don't think anyone should be made fun of for being what folks call "promiscuous" unless they are being hypocritical about it like Sanders or that anti-gay what's-his-face who got caught trying to pick up a guy in the restroom.

Craig Furguson is great! I have to say on average I enjoy Craig's show more than Letterman. Been watching Letterman a long time though and I am hoping I'll be able to get over that trigger thing and continue to enjoy his show.

Edited by Jaifian (07/21/09 02:18 PM)
Edit Reason: add qotes for clarity

#295883 - 07/19/09 08:30 AM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Jaifian]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:35 PM)

#296263 - 07/21/09 02:41 PM Re: Letterman not the same any more. [Re: Sans Logos]
Jaifian Offline

Originally Posted By: Sans Logos
no guys, i don't think we are being too sensitive here.

it is just wrong to think of some one else's body as being ravaged as an object for their own gratification, or as a means to express their power.

triggers------->>>>>

when doug published his comment, suddenly i saw a visual in my head that i'd rather not had seen. throwing that out there in a public forum like letterman did, to make someone the brunt of a sick and sad joke, and reinforcing a stereotype just continues the cycle of victimization for males who don't match to macho profile.

not only is the act he spoke of an act of physical imprisonment, since he refers to him as his 'boy' we know he is not talking about an adult, and in the image he conjures we see a vignette of an underage 'boy' being made to do service to someone who is too powerful to resist.

he should date lorena bobbitt.

I agree that the term is a seriously messed up term. Mark says it's in common usage back east which is also messed up.

Part of the problem with terms like that is that once people start hearing it everywhere they just start using it without really thinking about what it actually means or it's implications.

The term "sucks" for instance (as in "That sucks!") is inherently anti-gay, but I think no one really thought about that as it came into common usage and I am guilty of picking the habit of using that term myself--one which I'm trying to break.

I don't think Letterman was aware of all those aspects of it that you mentioned---he was aware of it being a crass term ( he joked about it right after saying it to acknowledge that it was), but I don't think he was aware of how it's use could affect people.

So I would charge Letterman with thoughtlessness, but not maliciousness. I doubt much of his email gets read (he probly gets truckloads every day) but I'll drop him one anyway.

Couldn't hurt.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.