Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (lostsoul824, sorryson, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447613 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295954 - 07/19/09 09:06 PM Morning Coyote
Alidade Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Houston, Texas
I fed my dog Jasper this morning and as soon as I got back inside this female coyote ate his breakfast.

That hold me inside
Bono (U2) - 1987

Do what you love and love will find you. - Me (21 June 09)

#295968 - 07/19/09 10:06 PM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Alidade]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Holy Shit thats close! Does that happen often? How did Jasper not go after the coyote? I think Jasper is one lucky dog!

What would have happened if there had been a child out there? Sorry, I know squat about coyotes. They've only just arrived in southern Ontario in the last few years.

Jim

#295982 - 07/19/09 11:02 PM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Geeders]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I have read in a couple of places lately that the extreme heat in south Texas is driving coyotes into neighborhoods in search of food, and that there has been an increase in the number of coyote attacks on both people's pets and on people and their children too. The suburb of Denver that my wife and I live in has seen several recent incidents with coyotes too, despite there being an abundance of prarie dogs for coyotes to hunt. Some of our neighborhoods which are closer to or in the mountains here have also seen an increase in incidents involving black bears looking for food too. Our suburban government has advised us not to leave pet food sitting around outside where it might attract coyotes. At least your dog is a bigger dog, because coyotes have been known to have a rather easy time with smaller dogs.

At our golf courses around here we have an abundance of both crows and magpies that will wait until you are away from your cart on both the 1st and 10th holes to get into your snacks. I once saw a magpie grab an unopened bag of potato chips and fly several hundred feet away with the bag before landing and getting the bag open within seconds. And another local golf course here has a tame fox that lives on the course that will approach golfers and beg for handouts too. I've been hit-up for my hot dog and potato chip leftovers several times by this fox. It begs just like a dog does, and is so tame that it will take food right out of golfer's hands.

Here is some online information about interacting with coyotes that has been put out by the local government here.

http://www.broomfield.org/openspace/coyotes.shtml

Mark

#296035 - 07/20/09 02:15 AM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Trucker51]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Jim,

If you got any small dogs or cats and you have coyotes around. I would make sure they are kept inside or they will soon be on the coyote's menu.
Living here in the Mojave desert we don't have much of a animal control problem. The coyote's take care of it rather nicely.
But they are very sky creatures when it comes to interacting with humans. You rarely see them.

mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#296110 - 07/20/09 03:52 PM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: michael banks]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: michael banks

If you got any small dogs or cats and you have coyotes around. I would make sure they are kept inside or they will soon be on the coyote's menu.

Originally Posted By: Alidade
Alidade thank you for the picture of the coyote

My dog was a "foundling dog". Found by a friend out on the highway and cleaned up and given to me. He has somewhere experienced coyote behavior. Last night when I took him out a dog passed that looked much like a coyote. My dog went ballistic (interesting in a dog grin ).

Allen aka pufferfish whistle

#296111 - 07/20/09 03:58 PM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: pufferfish]
michael banks Offline

Keith,

An interesting thing that caught my eye was look at both their postures. Look at the tails which one is more afraid of the other. But the coyote has hunger as a motivator and Jasper knows there is always more come tomorrow.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#296117 - 07/20/09 04:29 PM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: michael banks]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, he has a hungry coyote look. Jasper is on the alert.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#296638 - 07/24/09 10:34 AM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: pufferfish]
Alidade Offline
MaleSurvivor

The animal control officer put a live trap out yesterday. We hope to snag us a coyote to relocate out of the city. I just hope Jasper can stay out of it. ; )

That hold me inside
Bono (U2) - 1987

#296673 - 07/24/09 04:37 PM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Alidade]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
That must have been really scary. The most ferocious animals we have around here are racoons and bunny rabbits. LOL. Hope you catch it.

#297011 - 07/27/09 11:09 AM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Clockwise]
Alidade Offline
MaleSurvivor

The animal control officer came by last week to put a live trap out for the coyote. He warned me Jasper might get caught and I assured him it was a certainty.

He made it three days without getting trapped.

He ate the food that had been sitting in there for three days. Crazy dog! And I was worried the coyote's discerning palate might turn it down.

I reset the trap and overnight last night I caught a raccoon.

How cute is he? When I opened the cage to let him go he just lay there being all cute-like.

Edited by Alidade (07/27/09 11:12 AM)
That hold me inside
Bono (U2) - 1987

#297012 - 07/27/09 11:16 AM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Alidade]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Alidade,

I enjoyed seeing your pictures so much. The 'coon is a young one. Maybe he was "playing possum".

Allen

aka pufferfish

#297122 - 07/28/09 12:49 AM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

This "playing possum" thing is what a lot of kids do when they are confronted by a molester. They freeze up. They are not able to take meaningful action. This isn't just my idea. I got this from reading a book on abuse by Peter Levine.

Waking the Tiger : Healing Trauma : The Innate Capacity to Transform Overwhelming Experiences (Paperback) by Peter A. Levine.

http://www.amazon.com/Waking-Tiger-Trans...6425&sr=1-1

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#297131 - 07/28/09 06:32 AM Re: Morning Coyote [Re: Alidade]
michael banks Offline

Keith,

I love your dog.

Mike

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.