Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
4 registered (wearytraveler, Obi, susie, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63422 Topics
443383 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#295231 - 07/14/09 08:37 AM Survivors of color
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Primarily for the conf committee or anyone interested in the topic....

There was a discussion on an NPR show yesterday ("Tell Me More") about black male survivors. We've historically been underserving this population and I'm wondering if we have any presentations at the conf dealing with victimization of minority youth?

The thread with more info is here:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=295229&#Post295229

#295234 - 07/14/09 09:14 AM Re: Survivors of color [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
The conference committee is currently in the process of reviewing the workshops that have been submitted. This is a topic they are aware needs attention and is one they are very interested in including on the program. There were workshops on this topic at the last conference and I believe there have been submissions again this year.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#295366 - 07/15/09 05:17 AM Re: Survivors of color [Re: Ken Followell]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I tried Ken's link and got a message "access denied". Oh well. Anyway, I wanted to say there's some good literature for Afro-American survivors out there. I mentioned a few items to Terrick/Clockwise in a post earlier today, and here is a fuller list, for those who are interested:

*Abney, Veronica D., and Ronnie Priest, "African Americans and Child Sexual Abuse", in Lisa Aronson Fontes, ed., Sexual Abuse in Nine North American Cultures: Treatment and Prevention (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1995).

*Lori S. Robinson. I Will Survive: the African-American Guide to Healing from Sexual Assault and Abuse. (New York: Seal Press, 2002).

*Robin D. Stone, No Secrets, No Lies: How Black Families Can Heal from Sexual Abuse (New York: Harlem Moon, 2004), esp. pp. 149-68.

Also valuable are:

*Boyd-Franklin, Nancy. Black Families in Therapy: a Multisystems Approach (New York: Guilford Press, 1989).

*Boyd-Franklin, Nancy, A.J. Franklin, and Pamela Toussaint. Boys into Men: Raising Our African American Teenage Sons (New York: Plume, 2000).

Ken (S.) is right about this population being underserved, not only here but also more generally. So far as I can recall, none of the studies listed above is cited in any of the mainstream accounts we have for male survivors. It's the sort of thing that would be worth encouraging at the level of the BoD as part of our commitment to outreach and activism.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#295372 - 07/15/09 08:29 AM Re: Survivors of color [Re: roadrunner]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

My bad.
Here's the link to the NPR interview:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106538016

The link to black survivors:

http://www.blacksurvivors.org/

#295465 - 07/15/09 09:22 PM Re: Survivors of color [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Valuable and interesting radio show. I have to say I was a bit stunned by the celeb at the beginning who laughed off the abuse he endured from a girl when he was 11.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#295587 - 07/16/09 08:24 PM Re: Survivors of color [Re: roadrunner]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

It might be a cultural thing that perhaps the expectation is that guys, regardless of age and as long as it's heterosexual, should find that sex is good.

That's one of the reasons I'd love to hear from someone to talk about this more at te conf.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.