Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobdaFarmer61 (53), LeeM1974 (40), MATROS48 (57), victor valdez (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jay1159, finallyhere, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64008 Topics
446740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#295523 - 07/16/09 08:34 AM conference scam
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Just a quick warning on an email I received this week. It goes like this. You are invited to a big international conference on racism and child abuse to be held in two sessions, one in the USA and then the other in Senegal, and the sponsors of the event are going to pay for all the costs and expenses, except accommodation in Senegal (why will become clear below). They ask you if you are interested and provide a means to register.

If you register, however, they will tell you that you have to be able to attend both sessions, and for a visa to Senegal you need to show you already have a hotel reservation. You need to make a deposit of one night in order to hold the reservation and get the letter the visa department needs, and - here comes the scam - they provide you with a facility through which you can send the money.

But there's no hotel and no conference. The facility is Western Union or Moneygram, neither of which has any way of identifying the recipient of your money once it's collected. Once you have paid the "hotel deposit", you will never hear from them again.

It's back to the old adage: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS too good to be true!

By the way, I am organizing an international conference on post-rational discourse over here in the UK, and ..... laugh

Much counting,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#295863 - 07/19/09 12:13 AM Re: conference scam [Re: roadrunner]
John DiFonso Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arlington, Texas

#295881 - 07/19/09 08:10 AM Re: conference scam [Re: John DiFonso]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Hi John.

I saw that too, and it appears to be the backdrop mural that was on the back walls of the conference centre the leaders were in. It looked incredibly fake on TV.

Jim

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.