Newest Members
Xr2, clt, Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung
12371 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12371 Members
74 Forums
63585 Topics
444228 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#295006 - 07/12/09 03:49 AM Sexual orgasmic reconditioning does it work?
Compusa Offline

****** Triggers ******

Short version -
Molested by a sadistic "friend" women multiple times at the age of 5. Forgot and blanked out what happened at age 5 for over 40 years.
Been to counseling for over 3 years. Unbelievable information I have discovered about myself and all the other survivors in this world. I can not believe all the pain and sufferying thru abuse - children must deal with and this really makes me sad. Married for over 25 years to a sexually abused survivor.
My Sex life works great if I feel pain during the sex acts - but we do not bond emotionally thruout the last part of the sex act. I can not have physical release without pain.

In therapy my therapist wants to recondition my sexual thoughts -first- clean up remaining emotional scars from the abuse - second pungent smell reconditioning -then last but not least - mild shock therapy.

Not sure this is the way to solve the sex with pain problem but I am afraid of what happens next if the therapy does not work. Looking for survivors who have been thru the sexual reconditioning process and hearing the results - good and bad.

Edited by ModTeam (07/12/09 10:42 AM)
Edit Reason: Trigger warning added.

#295023 - 07/12/09 11:49 AM Re: Sexual orgasmic reconditioning does it work? [Re: Compusa]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
The concept of sexual reconditioning can be to either create a safe and pleasurable connection to the act to reinforce the good parts of it, or to create a negative association with an unwanted behavior.

So, if the efforts are to create a positive connection to sexual release, it might focus on pairing safe and comfortable behaviors with the self-reinforcement of pleasure. One way to do that might be to direct your partner to do what feels safe and comfortable to you and avoid making any connections with unwanted behaviors, such as causing pain. This may be difficult to do after many years of conditioning to the unwanted behaviors to achieve orgasm. It may take a lot of exploration to find more acceptable behaviors that have the potential to create the new pathways to orgasm.

The negative associations, when I'm dealing with people having fantasies they want to get rid of, is to couple the unwanted fantasies with unwanted results via negative imagary. For example, if a person was trying to get rid of using harmful masturbation activities, when the thoughts that might provide some arousal to act on them, flood them with imagining doing that behavior in front of your parents. Assuming you wouldn't get more aroused by doing the behavior in front of an audience, it should help break the arousal conditioning you have previously reinforced.

It is a difficult and sometimes long journey to change the associations but recognize that you probably have been reinforcing the unwanted connections for many years and it will take some time to change it. If your therapist is experienced in this are, s/he can help you change. The use of noxious smells or electric shocks (generally a pretty extreme practice) is the behavioral expansion of the negative or embarrassing fantasies I described above.

#295029 - 07/12/09 01:01 PM Re: Sexual orgasmic reconditioning does it work? [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
myboyhoodfears Offline

Edited by myboyhoodfears (08/31/09 12:20 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.