Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (31), comeath3 (75), Roy (53), Skeeter (55), tazrad (43), Treehugger75 (39), waterworld (53)
Who's Online
5 registered (petercorbett, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63991 Topics
446662 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29498 - 12/20/02 06:10 PM Resperdol and effexor?????
michaelb Offline

Loc: cincinnati, ohio
Anybody have any positive or negative experiences with respodal or effexor????? please let me know....i just changed medicines again....
Thanks for your input.......michael

#29499 - 12/20/02 07:11 PM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
Happy Birthday Roy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi Michael,

I started taking Effexor several months ago when Prozac began to be less effective after a few years use. While taking Effexor at 150 mg I started to notice myself feeling strange, oddly disconnected from my body. Having no other reasonable explanation for this I did a little research on the drug and discovered that depersonalization is a potential side effect, one which is not listed for many other antidepressants. To test my theory that this was the cause I increased the dose to 225 mg. and sure enough, the symptoms worsened. I tapered myself off the drug and felt much better. My psychiatrist has since prescribed a new drug, Lexapro, which seems to be working great with no noticeable side effects. Good luck with everything, I hope you have good results.

#29500 - 12/20/02 11:58 PM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Michaelb:

It's been many years ago, but when I was first diagnosed with severe clinical depression, several medications were tried with me, Effexor among them. None of them helped & most of them had weird side effects. Don't remember what particular effects the Effexor had. But I've been taking Zoloft for the last 10 years or so. The help it gives is limited, but attempts to go off it, cut it back, or try anything else have been disaster. Of course we're all different, so our meds will be different too. Take care Michaelb.

Wuame

#29501 - 12/21/02 12:23 AM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
I did effexor for a while (3mos) and found i was so horny...and i would twitch like hell and had anxiety attacks. I did zoloft for a while after that, and had no interest in anything, sex, food, sports, kids, wife, nuthin, even life. Then went on celexa. Horny again, but could not come. Now on lexapro, no apparent side effex. Be well stay well.

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#29502 - 12/21/02 12:49 PM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
michael

Interesting the wide range of reactions to the various meds. I've been on many different antidepressents over the years, most just haven't helped or had major side effects for me.

I've been on Effexor at 225 mg. for about 16 months now, with Paxil and Neurontin added in just for fun, I also take Trazadone to help with sleeping.

No problems so far with Effexor, in fact it's been really good for me, not so much as an antidepressent, but as an anti-anxiety med. I had no idea, literally, how much generalized non specific fear/anxiety I was living with. The Effexor seems to have lifted that for me. When I first noticed the change, the contrast was simply unbelievable. No side effects that I know of.

Many times in the past I've gone off my meds. The outcome has always been the same, things go to hell and I end up in a crisis, usually in a hospital. So, as much as I hate taking this crap with all of the unknown long term consequences, I'll take them. I just do better (better? I can at least see the day through) with them.

Help this helps michael.

Roy, interesting comment about theh depersonalization side effect possibility. I had forgotten that. Could you explain some how it manifested for you?

-jer

#29503 - 12/21/02 02:58 PM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
Happy Birthday Roy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Jer,

Depersonalization is difficult to describe, and it should be noted that it is different from dissociation. It was like whatever it is that constitutes my selfhood, the essence of "me", was just outside the physical boundary of my body. It was as though "I" were sitting on my shoulder or on top of my head, which is not exactly right but the best way our language can describe it. My body seemed like the physical representation of "me", so in order to do something like getting clothes out of the dryer "I" (from my perch on my body's shoulder or wherever) had to instruct my body to get up and go downstairs to the laundry room and the "I" part of me went along for the ride. That may all sound a little crazy, which is how it felt at the time, but that is the best explanation I can come up with. It was definitely something I had never experienced before taking this medication.

As revolutionary as these drugs are they are still very clumsy in that they tend to have impact on more than just the part of the brain they were intended to remedy. It is expected that as they are further refined over time, new drugs will be much cleaner and have fewer side effects. Sort of like performing surgery with a scalpel as opposed to using a very sharp knife. All of that being said I wouldn't trade them for the world, they have made such a difference in the quality of my life. I am finally able to be who I think I was intended to be from the very beginning. I rank these among the worlds great inventions, right up there with the wheel, penicillin, the modern toilet, and air conditioning!

#29504 - 12/21/02 09:05 PM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks for responding Roy!

Never had that depersonalized effect happen for me, thank the pharmacopia gods.

I had asked because I was wondering if you were talking about disociative effects. Hmmm, takes me awhile to get to my point sometimes (I should have said that up front in my first post, oh well).

Given that I can make a free choice (more or less) I'll continue my meds as perscribed. It works for me.

-jer

#29505 - 12/21/02 10:27 PM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
blaidd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
Hi Michael,

Meds and me don't seem to mix well....

I was on effexor for six months last year. Think I got up to 150 mg a day, or was it twice a day, sorry can't remember..

Basically it made me incredibily tired and lethargic the whole time, and I felt like a zombie. I was even more depressed, and had increased anxiety. The shrink didn't listen and told me to keep taking it, which I did.

Finally after six months my friends became so concerned that they talked me out of taking it. I listened and stopped taking it. Once I got it out of my system I stopped feeling lethargic and tired and started feeling okay again, or at least back to the way I was before I commenced taking the drug. It had no affect on my depression, just made it worse because I was less able to function.

Anyway, that was my experience... I realise that everyone reacts differently to medication, and for some it works great and for others like me it has more of a negative affect.

regards

blaidd

#29506 - 12/22/02 02:16 AM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
Huck Offline

Loc: south carolina
When the doc wanted me to sign a a form saying he had explained to me some possible permanent side effects of resperdol, I was really scared. I took it for two days and couldn't get the fact that I had to sign something before I got the meds. Felt like the doc was covering his ass, so to speak, and I quit taking it after two days. I had started feeling a slight twitch in the corners of my eyes, and while it was very likely the power of suggestion (kind of a negative placebo) since that was precisely what the doc warned could happen, so I quit it immediately. Besides, I just can't get comfortable with the idea of a doc "trying" a med with me to "see" if it works. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against meds...I hear they work wonders for many people. But, I am concerned about the long term effects that are really unknown...hell, they really don't know why most meds work in the first place.

I took effexor for several months a couple of years ago. Horny as hell, but couldn't get off. That seemed more of a curse than not getting it up in the first place. So I dropped it and started serzone. That sent me to the moon on a manic ride that landed me in the hospital. So, I ended my days as a guinea pig and haven't taken any meds since.

A beer or two a day seems to work, and may just prove itself to be healthy in the long run.

My own experiences here, nothing more....

I wish you luck.

#29507 - 12/22/02 10:51 AM Re: Resperdol and effexor?????
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Huck:

Hi, fellow Carolinian!

Your experience is just as valid as anybody's, and maybe only somewhat unusual in the sense that you've had the courage to try & to do what many others want to, some of whom who knows might be better off.

I've often wondered about that for myself. I take a lot of medications for Complex PTSD, OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), DD (Dissociative Disorder), FM (Fibromyalgia) and severe clinical depression, among other things--all rooted in a childhood of being sexually & otherwise abused.

Part of my problem is that I seem to be so "drug resistant." I should have known this becuz tho raised from a young age in a drug culture, any addiction I might have had to drugs was more social than anything, and when I was ready to quit I did so quite easily & never looked back.

I always have to take the higher dosages of virtually any medicene for it to have any effect, and then it's limited.

Meanwhile I wonder like you what bad effects even in the longterm all this is having on me, considering as you said that they don't even know how or why most meds work. Pretty high risk stuff in some ways. Yet, as you said, helpful & sometimes even necessary for some.

Recently I finally seem to have found the right doctors & a "balanced diet" of medicenes sufficient to keep me going. So far trying to get off any of them has made things far worse. Still my primary care doctor believes that as I deal with things thru further therapy & support, exercise & relaxation, I'll be able to get off or cut way back on most if not all of them. That is his goal & mine.

This took a long time. For many years I felt like that guinea pig! My first psychiatrist--briefly--about 10 years ago, tried over half a dozen meds on me in a very short span of time, no more than a few months. Don't remember resperdol or serzone (unless they had different names), but I do remember Effexor.

When you mentioned the side effect of eye twitching, I remembered having that, tho I'm not sure if it was effexor or one of the other ones.

Right now as an antidepressant I'm on Zoloft, which is also prescribed for PTSD & for sexual abuse trauma. It's the only one that's worked for me. But like you said we're all different.

Take care Huck

Wuame

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.